PDA

View Full Version : Heaters

_sT_
09-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Hey all

I own a '98 Outback no heater. How hard would it be to install one on the block? I do have a shower head attachment, so the block is already plumbed for hot water, but of course draining would be an issue.

Alternately, what are your thoughts on using a propane heater on board, like this one: http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=41&id=24. Tip sensor, low emission, approved for indoor use. If there happened to be any propane leakage (which is heavy, so it would probably go into the bilge), the blower should take care of it.

Thoughts?

zabooda
09-11-2009, 06:36 PM
My 98 has two "T"s by the water pump and Heatercraft can set you up with a unit. You can customize your ducts to have tubing and permanent vents. I have one tube vent in the walk through and one permanent vent on the back wall under the steering wheel. Nice to have the heater even in the summer when the sun goes down. It is a different hookup than the shower. The heater unit is basically a heater core and a blower fan similar to the engine blower.

_sT_
09-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Good idea. Would the main heating unit be mounted inside the engine compartment somehow? Or mounted somewhere else and then run hoses inside the gunwhale or something?

Regarding my other idea, any safety issues with the propane heater? Not sure I have the budget for a full-on heating system, and I may want some heat as I push towards October.

mustangairchair
09-12-2009, 01:48 AM
the heater sits under the gauges on the other side of the tragle. the line go under the floor to the motor

_sT_
09-12-2009, 11:36 AM
I think I get what you mean, but sorry if this is a stupid question - tragle?

Sled491
09-12-2009, 11:41 AM
My heater core is on the floor under the drivers console. Two hoses come out on the side that pull out for use in the passenger or bow area and one hard mount vent that blows on the drivers feet. We will never own a ski boat again without them..

Couple weeks ago we set up the course early in the morning (5:30am). One of the guys feet got so cold he couldn't ski. He jumped in my boat, put a towel over his feet and fed one of the heat tubes under the towel. 15 minutes later he was skiing.

zabooda
09-13-2009, 12:55 AM
On my 98 the heater is mounted on the floor behind the driver's kick board (or whatever you want to call it). Remove the screws to the board and pull it off and there is space between the board and where the bow seat starts. The vent tube is mounted above the heater and coming out the walkthrough but be sure to get adequate room as the flex tube housing takes up a lot of space and is near the heater. The other vent mounts to the board to warm your tootsies. I'll try to get a few pics tomorrow of the engine fittings and they could be in a different location since you have an Indmar and I have a PCM engine. The two hoses run under the floor boards and to the heater. The fan is connected to one of the Aux. positions. I used a hole saw to cut the holes so you need to have a stomach for cutting into a perfect boat. While you have the board out, you can mount a subwoofer next to the heater and the amp mounted on the front side high and out of view and then reinstall the board.

_sT_
09-13-2009, 01:03 AM
Very cool, thanks. I probably won't pull the trigger this season, but I'm planning to have this boat for a long time, so maybe soon. Plus, loving the subwoofer idea.

I was actually crawling around that area today, I was sticking my head under the bow seat trying to figure out the wiring that ran in front of the drivers kick board. Eventually figured out what I needed to do, and had nothing to do with that wiring :D

As for cutting holes in a perfect boat - well I broke that rule today drilling holes to mount my depth finder display to the dash. Thankfully all went as planned.