PDA

View Full Version : Pulling tubes

you da man
09-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Just wondered how many of you Moomba owners removed the stubby ski pole on the deck and if pulling tubes from the rear tow hook is fine. I'm not going to do tight circles with the tubes so I'm not worried about g-forces. Just plan on pulling a two person tube for those who don't/can't wakeboard.

kaneboats
09-11-2009, 11:07 AM
I've pulled a tube many times from mine on the O/B so people can sit in the back. Works fine.

zabooda
09-11-2009, 11:16 AM
I/O's have been doing it that way for years.

Sled491
09-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Kids don't like the fact that the rope is lower from the rear hook as it puts more spray in there face, but I have done it no probs.

Ian Brantford
09-12-2009, 07:53 PM
One thing that I have heard of (but not done) to greatly reduce the spray is to use a wakeboarding rope (nice, thin Spectra) instead of a thick tubing rope (3/8-3/4" polypropylene). It will have to be tied up short to 50" and pretty much sacrificed to the cause, but it's not like it costs more than a tank of fuel.

_sT_
09-13-2009, 01:38 AM
I've also seen some tube ropes that have a floatie-ball (yeah, that's a technical term) about half-way down the rope (or maybe the ball is added on to any rope). We were all like WTF is that, but later after talking about it and seeing what happens when our kids tube, we realized that it helps keep the rope out of the water.

No idea what they are called, but they exist.

viking
09-15-2009, 02:38 PM
I've also seen some tube ropes that have a floatie-ball (yeah, that's a technical term) about half-way down the rope (or maybe the ball is added on to any rope). We were all like WTF is that, but later after talking about it and seeing what happens when our kids tube, we realized that it helps keep the rope out of the water.

No idea what they are called, but they exist.

They're called a "Booster Ball". This one's made by Sportstuff
Here's a link to Overtons:
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=14181&pdesc=SportsStuff_Booster_Ball&cname=Other-Towable-Accessories&aID=600G8&merchID=1009&r=view
I've seen them in use from affar and they look like they work. I've always towed from the ski pole or tower for kids to eliminate the spray.

_sT_
09-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Cool. I'm going to check that out.

We have this massive three man tube that I always pull from the transom, and when it's just the family, I shuffle everyone forward and we pull the biscuits and wake sliders (which actually has edges and is loads of fun) from the ski pole, not so much to reduce spray, but to make the tube more responsive behind the boat. But yeah, reduced spray is good, especially when riding face first.

Razzman
09-15-2009, 02:59 PM
One thing that I have heard of (but not done) to greatly reduce the spray is to use a wakeboarding rope (nice, thin Spectra) instead of a thick tubing rope (3/8-3/4" polypropylene). It will have to be tied up short to 50" and pretty much sacrificed to the cause, but it's not like it costs more than a tank of fuel.

Ian i wouldn't advise trying this one. Spectra line is not meant for the rigors or stress of tubing nor does it carry the weight capacity rating for anything over 1 person and if it were to break which it most likely will then it could do some serious damage, i've seen first hand twice what a tube rope coming back into the boat can do and it's not pretty! Just my 2 cents on this one.