PDA

View Full Version : Intermediate Ski Selection

kaneboats
09-10-2009, 04:25 PM
All this talk about new skis got me looking around too. I ran across a nice article that talks about how many of us don't need the skis the pros are using because we really aren't pros. It does a pretty good job of describing the different intermediate level skis. Enjoy:

http://www.waterskimag.com/article/Features/Find-the-Right-Ski

graybmg
09-10-2009, 06:43 PM
I'l love to get some measurements on these skis (width, tunnel design, etc.) I bought a used high-end ski from a real enthusiast. I'm an intermediate but I love the full-tunnel design of my D3 Nomad. I feel like I can really put it on edge and let it grip the water. I'm wondering if I would be better served by another ski? Don't have the luxury of testing lots of skis so I will be with this one for a while. I like my stick.

Canuckle Head
09-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking I would like to try an intermediate ski to see if there is any noticeable difference. I take it that no one here owns a Radar RS1 seeing how there has been zero response on my post. :confused:

graybmg
09-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Canuckle, what are you skiing on now? What level are you? I've progressed from a wide body with a RTP that I learned on to my D3 and I love the difference. So much easier to move around.

graybmg
09-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Oh yeah, I have two boots now and that's a big plus too. IMO

maxpower220
09-10-2009, 08:26 PM
I would compare this to golfers: most people aren't pros, but pro equipment can't make them a less better golfer (you like my English). I try to ride any ski that I can in order to see what aspects of a ski I like (I do the same with wakeboards). A responsive ski is much more fun than a recreational ski (IMO). At the ski school I went to I rode a Monza, but it was a 70" ski with X large bindings and it was terrible. I like the Monza that I have (67" with my bindings that fit), so there are variables to your favorite ski.

Some people say "you don't need a MC/Bu/CC ski boat for a smaller wake unless you are a pro", but I think the smaller the wake when you are learning, the easier it is to learn. Starting out slalom skiing the biggest complaint from beginners is crossing the wake. Smaller is better, I want pro equipment, not the lastest wake boat.

Lastly, when you have pro equipment, if you don't run 38' off then it isn't the skis fault: it's the skiers inability (or usually the driver).

BensonWdby
09-10-2009, 11:26 PM
The best ski ever is the last one you had a really good run on.
While at Ski Paradise Gordon had me switch from my old Connelly Concept to a Monza he had. The Monza was a smooth ride, and the good news is it was an easy transition, but honestly I am not sure there was that much of a difference. I talked with a couple of guys who knew skis pretty well and we talked high level skis. They had something specific to say about each ski that made it different than the others and some are less suitable to my style (or lack of..).

At the end, Gordon put a deeper fin (from a D3?) on my Concept and I got a new wing for it. I am liking it a lot. Last weekend I tinkered with 41 off (open water) and was able to put together several decent turns. I know that I am no way skiing anything near a 'real' 41, but I am having a ton of fun...

I bought a new (last years model) Radar Annex this spring. it is only a 68" and I am afraid it is too small for me. It feels really sluggish, yet I have been told it should be light years ahead of my Concept. Go figure. I keep hoping I will lose some weight so I can put it through it's paces, but it did not happen this year.

Best thing you can do is try to ride a ski before you buy. Not easy to do these days...

Dave

Canuckle Head
09-11-2009, 01:08 AM
Canuckle, what are you skiing on now? What level are you? I've progressed from a wide body with a RTP that I learned on to my D3 and I love the difference. So much easier to move around.

Right now I am skiing on an 1986 Connelly HP Graphite. I used to compete on an amateur level as a teenager. I was an amateur Provincial Champ when I was 16 who loved to ski but didn't have the funds (single mom) to get coaching etc.

To be honest it's been a about 16 years since I seriously spent any time on a slalom ski. So, I am trying to re-educate myself about whats new in the skiing world.

I think I'm going to demo a few of these babies............ Thanks for the article kaneboats

graybmg
09-11-2009, 06:55 AM
Canuckle, sounds like you probably have some pretty good skills so if you can afford it I'd buy the most ski you can. You'd probably outgrow a less advanced ski. But I'm new to the game so I might not be giving the best advice.:grin:

sandm
09-11-2009, 08:01 AM
I'm going to ask a real dumb question here, but I figure that someone can enlighten me.
I'm a surfer/boarder and have not been on a waterski in 25 years, and was only on one a couple of times then.
I keep seeing references to 15off, 41off, 30off, what does that mean?
I do boat with some waterskiers but I have not heard them use these phrases before, but if they do come up, I would like to seem somewhat educated as to what they mean..

help waterkski 101 :)

thanks

moombadaze
09-11-2009, 08:14 AM
I'll take a stab at that, ski rope is 75' long, 15off is shortining the rope by 15', the part that hooks the boat has shorter lengths(different colors) and that is how they shorten the rope.

sandm
09-11-2009, 09:13 AM
cool. thanks.
very similar to a wakeboard rope with the different lengths to make the distance across the wake shorter..
now I'm going to ask my buddy today what he skis and watch him setup his boomerang.

kaneboats
09-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Pretty good description of the lengths and colors, etc. here:

http://waterski.about.com/od/slalomwaterskiingtips/a/slalomropechart.htm

kaneboats
09-11-2009, 11:06 AM
The point of the article was to tell people there are alternatives to the $1200 ski a pro would need. Most skiers have never been on the course. Zegm, you have one in your back yard. I don't blame you or the others who run it regularly for reaching toward the pro stuff. I wasn't trying to talk anyone into buying lesser equipment, just sharing info.

maxpower220
09-12-2009, 10:40 AM
I have contacted Cory Pickos Ski school in order to take a lesson there next weekend, 19 Sep if anyone would like to attend.

Sled491
09-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Funny, we were having this discussion this morning between sets. I don't think you need the absolute latest technology, but after 10 yrs of age, you will appriciate the change to new technology.

Today I skied 34mph 32off. I ski almost every day, if I'm home. Averages out to about 4 days a week. Here is what we have discovered as a group. There are not enough catagories. There are Pros, that's a given. There are beginners, that also is a given. Then every one else is considered recreational. There in lies the problem. I'm not a pro, but I'm.... well lets just say I'm not just a recreational skier. I know my Siege is slow across the wake, and maintanes good angle, initiates turns well and is semi forgiving. What I need is something much faster across the wake while generating good angle. Read all the ski descriptions you want and what I'm looking for is a Pro level ski. Will I ski it to its true potential, not quite. But it will get me closer than I was. I can ski 6 balls at 34 no probs down to 22 off. If I want to go 28 and beyond I need a faster ski, period.

You need to be honest with your level and buy the next ski above what you need to keep you advancing. But much of what I see through U tube videos and such show that most guys are skiing at a lower level than they believe they are.

Mikey
09-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Like most sports its always better to try to achieve the next level. Equipment issues holding you back don't help but can hinder ie slow ski.
Like playing sports i'd rather play with or against some one as good or better because you will usually learn from someone better rather than playing down, to let someone keep up. Yes we all do play up or down at sometime or another . I'd rather have equipment that is above your level and try to achieve that level but not going too far to the point of something being dangerous.
As for skis,i too am skiing a ski thats still more than i really need, but it gives me the chance to get better and not hamper me.I'm skiing an 08 Monza that is FAST but can be a little unforgiving at times and forces me to smarten up or pay the price.This ski is forcing me to do things correctly as its not as forgiving as my old ski. Push the limits and it wants to GO,which also tells me that there is way more that can be done with it. There are skis that are fast and forgiving etc but also at what price?. Find a ski that suits your needs or slightly above and enjoy.
A couple of times i have given the old Triumph a go again and i thoroughly still enjoy it,but there is a difference and now i kinda pick for the conditions aor my mood. Have fun and keep skiing,while the water is still soft.