PDA

View Full Version : From Great to Terrible

Jeff W
09-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Ahhh.. Good old Labor Day weekend. Loaded down the boat with friends, went to a new lake and had a great day.

Until.

On the way back to the launch - we run through a channel (idle speed). We pass the last buoy, I slowly accelerate and BOOM. Rock. Huge one.

I swim underneath the boat and I am literally SHOCKED at what I find. My rudder? Gone. 100% sheered off. There is a 1/2" stub sticking out the bottom of the boat and a copper "plug" now resides. My prop is lightly chewed up. The bracket right near the prop bent so the whole prop shaft is sitting about 1-2" crooked. There is also a one inch gash in my fiberglass right next to where the rudder USED to reside.

Great.:confused:

So now I'll begin the journey of getting this fixed. My summer is over as far as boating is concerned. I know NOTHING about the insurance aspect of my boat policy - I've never had to use it. Will this be covered? We have a full coverage policy required (as we have a note on the boat) so I assume I will pay my deductible and it will get fixed?

We have an 02' direct drive Outback. Can anyone advise a new prop? The boat is going be used 80% wakeboarding, 10% slalom and 10% tooling around and tubing. Next summer we will run light ballast. Maybe 1000 lbs regularly plus crew. I don't want to OVER prop it but should I upgrade from the factory pitched 3 blade?

Has ANYONE ever had this happen? I can't imagine I'm the first person to have this happen on the forum, am I? Needless to say - an 8 hour day of awesomeness was dampered (for me) by this damn rock. I was LITERALLY 5 minutes away from putting this thing on the trailer and calling it a day. It was the LAST channel (a channel I had been through 4 times that day).

Any thoughts, advice, condolences, etc? I've never had a "wreck" in my boat so this is all new to me. My wife (god bless her) keeps telling me to relax and that being upset/etc wont help.. It's true, I know.. But to her - its her "boat". For me, it's my "baby"..

Anything? New prop? Advice?

Also, if anyone from Minnesota has any advice - IF insurance covers this I'll be able to have it fixed wherever. I have been recommended to Anchor Marine by a buddy but I am thinking I will bring it to MN Inboard. I haven't heard anything good about Forrest Lake Motorsports (only true Moomba dealer) but I'd listen to your argument for them over MN Inboard if you had one. MW Mastercraft is snobbish - I think I'll pass..

Sucky day. I know it will get fixed - but it's a bummer.

So, now

BensonWdby
09-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Jeff -

So sorry to hear about this - I can only imagine.. I hit a rock on Bald Eagle and just tweaked the prop and I went ballistic. This is hugely stressful. I have never put in a claim for Boat insurance so I don't know how it goes. I bet is depends largely on who the carrier is. It sure seems like this is the kind of thing we get insurance for.

Cheers to you for getting it on the trailer. Where were you ? Prior Lake?

I have had good luck with Forrest Lake MS. But never anything major. I have them do all my winterizing. Once they even got me up and running at no charge when I did someting stupid that made me think there was something wrong. I'll tell you about it some time...

Now Cory from MW MC is on this board from time to time - I bet he could take care of you.

I guess this week on Marion is a bust.... Maybe next year...

Dave

Razzman
09-06-2009, 08:22 PM
It's covered so don't worry. My brother in law did the same thing in July except it ripped the whole rudder plate through the hull and the boat almost sank! Had it back in the water within 30 days.

deerfield
09-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Jeff - I'm sorry about the damage and disappointment today. I trust insurance will cover repair and the deductible is manageable. Hope you are soon back on the water. - Deerfield

Klipper
09-06-2009, 10:20 PM
same thing happened to me.... I just bought the boat 2 days ago and only put 1 hour on it before i hit a rock and bent the prop, shaft, rudder, and some gelcoat cracking around the rudder mount.

I've been through the channel 150 times for the past 20 years and never had a problem...

Currently mourning the loss.... it happened on friday..... boat is at the dealer waiting for insurance adjuster.

support group welcome!!

jeffandkaren
09-06-2009, 10:33 PM
I bought my boat at forest lake motorsports they are awesome great service department I would highly recommend them. Where were you on the mississippi?? We live in Saint Paul, boat is usually at cabin in Wisconsin.

Jeff

MEDIC151
09-07-2009, 09:16 AM
I damaged my XLV one month after getting it. I hit a tree in 28 feet of water and it bent the shaft and strut. I took it in and insurance paid for the repair with the exception of the deductible. I took it out for a lake test with the mechanics before I accepted it back. Everything was good. Hope everything turns out good.

lrock
09-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Sorry about the boat. For the prop, call OJ Props (Johnson Propeller Co., Inc
Toll-Free: 800-359-9730). They will ask you several questions and tell you exact prop you need.

Lrock

Jeff W
09-07-2009, 09:57 PM
Thank you to EVERYONE for all of the support and information.

A couple of things.

1. I was on Prior Lake. Never again. Nice enough lake but after this ordeal - I'm done there. I will stick to Marion, Minnetonka, Bryant and Christmas - the lakes that I know.

2. I will call Forrest Lake MC. I'm actually glad to hear some good experiences, I have only casually heard about them and a couple were less than thrilled. Although MN Inboard will be my pick due to proximity as they are literally 5 miles down the road compared to 35 miles north.

3. All is not lost for the summer. This is why they make rash guards and wet suits. I will be riding by late in the month - I am DETERMINED.

Most importantly - thank you guys so much for letting me know I'm not the only idiot to have this happen and also thank you for calming my nerves about insurance. I will update this post tomorrow as more info is unraveled.

Thanks you guys - I appreciate it more than I can type here. I will sleep much better this evening.

mnpracing
09-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Jeff W. - MN Inboard has a new mechanic who worked for years at Chicago Searay. They serviced Moomba's so he is very familiar with them. His name is Kevin B.

kaneboats
09-08-2009, 02:54 PM
I did this last year. Busted rudder clean off and destroyed prop, shaft, strut. The pics are in this thread:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=6092&highlight=prop+strut+rudder

1 deductible plus 2 weeks and I was out again. Hope you get back soon.

Jeff W
09-08-2009, 02:57 PM
I did this last year. Busted rudder clean off and destroyed prop, shaft, strut. The pics are in this thread:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=6092&highlight=prop+strut+rudder

1 deductible plus 2 weeks and I was out again. Hope you get back soon.

That is EXACTLY what I did. What a relief I'm not the only idiot. I felt so dumb. I know that stuff like this happens - but I always think its only the clueless "bros" out on the water that this happens to.

Glad it happens to other responsible owners out there.

Jeff W
09-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Todays update. Insurance is going to cover my 'whoops'. Which is great. I'm dropping the boat off at MN Inboard tomorrow and the work still start immediately.

I hope to have it back in two weeks - in time to make a few more passes for the year.

My $3000 mistake will only cost me $500. Which is nice - because I've been taking care of American Family for YEARS now. It's time they take care of me.

;)

Feeling "relieved" today compared to the past few days. Thanks for all of the support and war stories guys. Much appreciated.

Jeff W
09-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Jeff W. - MN Inboard has a new mechanic who worked for years at Chicago Searay. They serviced Moomba's so he is very familiar with them. His name is Kevin B.

He's the one doing the repair! I've heard GREAT things about Kevin.

c.rix
09-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Jeff Im glad to hear you decided to take it to mninboard they are a good group of guys. I had a bad experience with flake motorsports and is why I bought my moomba from nissawa marine enough said

I am suprised you hit a rock on prior I have been out there 20 times in the last two years I never bumped anything except the last time I looked at the launch off 42 and said "nope" the propwash was huge
Hopefully you get it back soon

Jeff W
09-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Jeff Im glad to hear you decided to take it to mninboard they are a good group of guys. I had a bad experience with flake motorsports and is why I bought my moomba from nissawa marine enough said

I am suprised you hit a rock on prior I have been out there 20 times in the last two years I never bumped anything except the last time I looked at the launch off 42 and said "nope" the propwash was huge
Hopefully you get it back soon

Yeah, MN Inboards has been good to me in the past, they are MUCH closer and have a great reputation.

I did some research AFTER I got home and it seems a few people have mashed their boat on the same rock on Prior that I got tangled up with. I know it will all get fixed but the $500 I'll be spending on my deductible was set aside for my new wakeboard set up. Now I'll have to put that off a few weeks until the boat is done. Blah.

Oh well. I just want it to get out of my hands and into theirs. Dropping it at noon tomorrow.

c.rix
09-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Yeah, MN Inboards has been good to me in the past, they are MUCH closer and have a great reputation.

I did some research AFTER I got home and it seems a few people have mashed their boat on the same rock on Prior that I got tangled up with. I know it will all get fixed but the $500 I'll be spending on my deductible was set aside for my new wakeboard set up. Now I'll have to put that off a few weeks until the boat is done. Blah.

Oh well. I just want it to get out of my hands and into theirs. Dropping it at noon tomorrow.

where exactly is this rock incase I decide to go over there 1 last time this year

Jeff W
09-09-2009, 12:04 PM
where exactly is this rock incase I decide to go over there 1 last time this year

I don't know the lake well enough. I only know major landmarks. I was coming through the last main channel where the gas station/marina is. I was headed TOWARDS the area of the lake where Captain Jacks is. I was off to the right side of the channel mouth as there was another boat coming through the channel on the opposite side.

I hit the throttle right as we passed the last buoy marker and there it is.

Today I noticed more gel coat damage. Underneath the skid plate there is some gel coat damage. I was bummed.

c.rix
09-09-2009, 01:20 PM
I don't know the lake well enough. I only know major landmarks. I was coming through the last main channel where the gas station/marina is. I was headed TOWARDS the area of the lake where Captain Jacks is. I was off to the right side of the channel mouth as there was another boat coming through the channel on the opposite side.

I hit the throttle right as we passed the last buoy marker and there it is.

Today I noticed more gel coat damage. Underneath the skid plate there is some gel coat damage. I was bummed.

I know where your talking about we bass fish there from time to time I will remember to say toward the middle more then thanks jeff

How about the launch? still have a bad prop wash to it?

Jeff W
09-09-2009, 02:50 PM
I know where your talking about we bass fish there from time to time I will remember to say toward the middle more then thanks jeff

How about the launch? still have a bad prop wash to it?

I had no issues getting on or off the launch (minus not having a motor or steering getting on)..

I didn't have any issues and noticed nothing. It was a quick in and a quick out.

mnpracing
09-09-2009, 11:06 PM
c.rix, what do you mean by "bad prop wash"? I haven't heard the term before so was just wondering.

Jeff W
09-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Damn.

$6200 total repair bill. Prop, prop shaft, rubber, hangar, strut, gel coat repair, wakeplate and labor..

Wow. I was not expecting that at ALL. I had this thing PEGGED at $3500. Shows how much I know.

Thank goodness for insurance at this point. It's going to cost me $500. It's unfortunate because I've been with American Family for 14 years and I'm sure with just one claim my premium will go up. I've given them SO much money but they'll hose me and I'll end up paying for this in the long run.

The boat will be done in 2 weeks. Which is good as I will be able to ride behind my own boat still this year.

I guess I'll just keep the boat on my home lake from now on where I know what's what and where's where.

mmandley
09-19-2009, 05:06 PM
American Family is more a Car insurance company no? I use American Boaters i think it is. Seperate from my Car and Home insurance of Allstate jsut incase there is an issue it wont effect all my premiums.

I only pay 400 a year for a 40K policy and its the value of the loan or the value of the boat. Which ever is greater at time of accident if its a total. Pretty sweet policy i think.

jjolson
09-20-2009, 06:28 PM
I have American Family...They insure most anything. The more policies(ie...house, cars, boat, cycles, etc) you have with a company, the more discounts you can typically get.

snowboardcorey
09-25-2009, 11:58 AM
Jeff, just saw this post, at least a couple people have hit that rock including a couple of guys that live on Prior and claim to have boated in that spot for years. The lakes are super low this year and we've seen more underwater damage than ever.

The guys at MNinboard are a class act, they'll get you taken care of. FWIW the quote sounds good too, glass work is time consuming and definitely a skilled labor. We've (MWMC) had a glass job in excess of 15K this year (hit rock do hard split through to the inside!!!)

Hope you're back on the water soon!

desert wake 360
09-26-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm sure we've all had the same pain. I've gone through two props in 4 years. Last time I bought an acme prop. 1" smaller with deeper pitch. I love it. I gained alot more in perfomance, holeshot, and believe it or not, gas mileage. The only thing I lost was about 5 mph on the top end. But hey, do you really need to bury the throttle every time to squeeze out the extra mph's?