PDA

View Full Version : winch strap

jeffandkaren
09-06-2009, 04:03 PM
The strap on the winch on my trailer broke the other day. I noticed its only rated for 2500lbs and my Outback weighs 3000lbs. kinda piss poor planning on Moombas side. I also noticed when I replaced the strap that the winch says its a 1500lb winch, wondering if that will go out too?? Anyone had the same problem?

Razzman
09-06-2009, 05:27 PM
All straps i've seen are rated either 1800 or 2500 lbs., a 1500 lb. winch would be normal as well. The reason those ratings are ok is that is that it's pulling the boat onto the trailer in the water while floating. If you're pulling your boat onto the trailer and it's hard to do then the trailer is not in far enough and it will either break the strap or the winch.

jeffandkaren
09-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Thats kinda what I figured, I did find a 5000 lb strap though, problem is the lake was so low, its hard to get the trailer in far enough, thought I might have to haul it out on the ice!!!

Laz
09-06-2009, 05:53 PM
My strap broke as well when coming out of a really steep and old launch. I bought a replacement and noticed that it was rated for 4000 lbs. They look the same.

BensonWdby
09-06-2009, 07:38 PM
On my first outing with my Mobius I snapped a drive gear on the winch - split it right in half. I had been accustomed to being able to cinch it up on the old runabout with the EZ Loader trailer with rollers. I was only tryying to move the boa about an inch forward on the bunks, but completely out of the water (and up-hill).

Nearly took my head off when the gear chunk came flying out of the winch.

I think I got a slightly beefier winch to replace it - but I still never try to dry winch it.

Dave

Razzman
09-06-2009, 08:20 PM
When the bunks are wet and on a slight downhill, hit the brakes semi-hard and the boat will slide forward an inck or so up to the roller.

Ian Brantford
09-06-2009, 10:29 PM
How long is the current winch strap? For my 2005 XLV, it was a 10' strap that, when wound up, it was just such that I could winch it up tight. I could only find 20' and 25' replacements locally. When wound up, the radius is greater, and it is extremely difficult to load the boat because of less mechanical advantage. I guess that I'll have to look for a shorter replacement on-line. Either that, or... maybe it's time to look at an electric winch? I don't know where to start for that.

jeffandkaren
09-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Great I bought a 20' strap !! Problem is the lake is so low this year! Might look for a new winch over the winter I wonder what they use on the bigger Supras if I find out Ill post it on here. Maybe the good old days with rollers on the trailer eh??

Razzman
09-07-2009, 11:45 PM
If'n you do put rollers on that trailer then make sure you don't undo the winch strap until it's in the water and hook it back while in water also. Seen and heard too many stories of the heavier boats rolling right off on the ramp when at a steep angle!

kaneboats
09-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Definitely seen that. Ouch!!! It does help to splash a little water on the bunks before you winch up.

mmandley
09-19-2009, 05:12 PM
My strap broke about a 2 months ago. I talked to AWS because my boat will never center on the trailer when you get to the winch. Causes my winch strap to alway rub the housing. They said they would take my boat off the trailer and check and align my bunks because the boat nost should self center on the trailer.

On to the posting topic.

I winch my boat up also. What i have found easiest is i drop the whole trailer into the water till the front most bunks are wet and then pull the trailer out to the depth i want.

Drive the boat up just till its about 50% on the trailer and the nose is about 5ft from the winch. I hook the strap and have my driver slowly give it throttle untill mose of the tenstion is off the strap. I can winch it up with some tension to keep my strap tight and yet not power the boat onto the trailer.

Just as the boat is about to the roller i have the driver give it a little more throttle to help get the strap real tight and then shut the engine off. Pull it out of the water and add the transom straps.

Only other problem i have is no matter how deep or shallow my trailer is the boat nost always hits the rollers. I think this is my bunks are set wrong. I always have to go realy slow so i dont damage the gell coat. When i get it winterized is when AWS said they would check out my bunks.

Hoopskier
09-19-2009, 06:19 PM
When I load my boat. I back the trailer in deep to wet the bunks then pull it out to where I need it to drive the boat on. As far as winching goes i usually have my driver give some throttle so winching is not that hard.

For you guys talking about low water levels and lots of winching you should look into trying a can of Liquid Rollers. I heard lots of great things about it, never tried it myself. Just don't unhook until your in the water- suppose to reduce alot of friction.

Here is a link
http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/Rollers_Bunks-MARYKATE_LIQUID_ROLLERS.html

csm
10-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Has anyone ever cut a winch strap? Mine started tearing, and all I could find was a 20' strap. It's a little too thick for my winch when it's spooled up, so I was thinking of cutting a couple of feet off.

What would be the easiest way to create the double up loop at the end of the strap that holds the metal bar? Some type of staples? Or would I have to get it stitched?

Razzman
10-21-2009, 10:25 PM
Do NOT cut the strap! There's no way for you to re-secure yourself where it won't fail real quick. Go to Walmart and look. Any marine shop will have them. Get it online.

Ian Brantford
10-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Bart's only has 20' straps. Overton's has a 15' strap, but it is some unbranded one with no load rating. Their only rated one is again 20'.

Does anyone know of a supplier for a good 10' or 15' strap?

smokedog2
10-23-2009, 10:24 PM
CUt the none hook end, you'll be fine.

SD2

cab13367
10-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Ed,

Yes but Skier's choice specified and selected the components that they put in their boats so ultimately, they are responsible for it's performance and compatability with each other and the boat. If you buy a car, you would expect the same thing. Take the jack for example. What if your new car came with a jack that did not have the capacity to lift a corner of your car to change the tire. Would you be upset with the jack manufacturer or with the car manufacturer?

As far as the strap, it will never have the full 3000 lbs of the boat on it unless you hang it in the air from the strap. So the fact that the strap is only rated at 2500 lbs is fine.

Al

csm
10-25-2009, 09:39 PM
I had a surprisingly hard time finding a strap under 20', even online. I went by Cabela's, but their shortest is 20' also. I was hoping for a heavy duty strap, so I wouldn't have to worry about them ripping again, but couldn't find one under 20'.

I ended up ordering this one on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-SeaSense-Boat-Trailer-Winch-Strap-w-Hook-15-x-2_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ad42908fcQQitemZ3901 06515708QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

BensonWdby
10-26-2009, 07:36 AM
I would just buy a new winch - they are not that expensive...