PDA

View Full Version : Riding an antique

BensonWdby
09-06-2009, 10:29 AM
And no - not talking about my wife....
I had an opportunity to ski behind and drive a 1973 MasterCraft yesterday. Boy am I glad hull designs have progressed. The wake was big, the 22 off bump was very big, and the spray off the side of the boat was intense. It was not really spray - more like a sheet of water from head to toe. Plus I was riding using a guys wakeboard rope - which I shredded the vinly surface in about 4 turns.

Ironically it was this vintage boat that got me hooked on inboards way back when.

So after attempting to ski behind that boat, I came home and made two of my best passes in a very long time, at 32 off 34. No falls - lots of turns, very consistent. Now wondering - rest or find someone to go this morning...

This experience has really help me appreciate the Mobius even more.

Dave

MrsZ
09-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Oh man, do we have different opinions! I really really miss my 75 MC whenever I am skiing. I can’t do doodley-squat on the course since we sold it last year. Or maybe it was my neck surgery. Either way, I loved the flat wake.

However, I skied behind Max Power's Outback this weekend and THAT wake was nice, much flatter than our LS and no rooster tail. We have a HUGE rooster tail that I don’t see on the videos of the LS. Maybe we should look into changing our prop?

BensonWdby
09-07-2009, 10:58 PM
It would not surprise me if the 73 and 75 were different hulls. I think this was right around a revolutionary time in hull design. But I could be wrong, would not be the first time...

kaneboats
09-08-2009, 11:21 AM
I definitely thought Maxpower's wake was a little bit smaller than on my 2000 Outback LS. Might just be the wakeplate but could certainly be the hull too. He also said he can make a wakeboard wake using just the wakeplate that is as big as mine with one 400 lb. bag in the rear. Interesting.

deerfield
09-08-2009, 10:14 PM
I skied behind Max Power's Outback this weekend and THAT wake was nice

Mrs Z - If you ever find yourself in the Midwest in the summer time, come ski with Sled or me. Both of us have Outbacks and enjoy flat wakes. The three of us could meet up with Waynes345 and have a great day skiing. Love my Outback! - Deerfield

MrsZ
09-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks Deerfield. That would be just awesome! I bet we would get lots of pics too :)

deerfield
09-09-2009, 09:16 PM
I bet we would get lots of pics too :)

As they say in the north country (way past Sled): You betcha!

skiyaker
09-09-2009, 09:29 PM
all this talk of old boats makes me want to bust out the Dick Pope Jr. I can remember refinishing it as a kid in my dad's driveway just before our annual August vacation to Crystal Lake, MI where there was a guy named "Bill" who would pull you behind his Mastercraft (not sure what year... had all the stars on the side) for $5. I put so much varnish on the thing that it almost sinks!

kaneboats
09-10-2009, 11:24 AM
I think I only got one pull as a teen behind a Mastercraft -- from some friends of friends. It was the blue and white stars and stripes and I always wanted one after that. My cousin Kate has one of those boats now. I put a pic of it on here somewhere. I always knew I'd have an inboard some day after that.