PDA

View Full Version : Cheated on Moomba with a Tige test ride

Guma
09-02-2009, 12:54 AM
After a few emails back and forth between myself and a local Tige dealer, Dom at FIC over in Largo Fl, I head over today for a test ride on the 22Ve.

After an honest oversight by one of the mechanics we end up taking the 24Ve out on the water. I gotta say I was highly impressed by this boat and the performance. Mostly notably was the TAPS and convex hull that allowed the wake to be changed from a decent slalom wake to a very nice wakeboard wake, and again to a nice surf wake without using any ballast.

There were quite a few other features that I like about the Tige over the Moomba line, but whether or they impress me enough to make up for the $15k price difference is a whole nother story. One big eye catcher about the Tige is the Alpha Z tower, I freaking love that thing!

I understand this is a Moomba board, but are there any members here who might share some experience with owning a Moomba then a Tige or vice versa?

My decision just got that much harder I do believe!

tazz3069
09-02-2009, 01:15 AM
A good friend of mine had a Tige boat. He only had it for a short period of time. They hated the boat. Now they own a Malibu and love it. They always tell me that friends don't let friend buy Tige's.

jmvotto
09-02-2009, 06:58 AM
Guma,

my close friends have had a tige 2300 ve since 2001 and honestly thats why i started looking at v drive boats. you are right it throwsa a great wake. their Taps system has been an issue for years though. other than that they love the boat. the local dealer stopped carrying tige aout five years ago. so now they are looking at something closer moomba, supra MC, nautique malibu

sandm
09-02-2009, 07:17 AM
buddy has a '06 tige 22ve and he is very partial toward them as a brand. I have only been behind it once and it was my first time at the lake, so no feedback, but seemed to be a solid boat..
funny thing though. my perception are that tige owners are the only ones that seem VERY biased toward their own brand and are quick to point out faults on other boats. everyone else I run into that owns ski boats seems real open to other brands.

tazz3069
09-02-2009, 08:18 AM
All in all I really like my Moomba LSV. Do I look at other boats? Yes. Do I regret having a Moomba? No If I had the money to buy something else? Maybe Will it be another SC product? Very Possibly Do I wish there was and option to put in a bigger engine? Yes. I enjoy driving my boat. I enjoy, not only being behind the boat, I also enjoy pulling people. I have done a few mods to to to make it a better boat. The few major projects was a upgraded prop, Z5 Cargo Rack, and most important the Ballast upgrade. I understand that SC make an affordable boat. There product is awesome. I made the boat mods for personal preference. A good friend of mine compares Our wakeboarding wakes. He has a Malibu. He says that the wake was very similar. That made me feel good. I enjoy and really take care of her. She stays in my garage covered. The only time she sees the sun is when she is in the water.

Jeff W
09-02-2009, 08:50 AM
I wouldn't touch an older Tige with a 10 foot pole but they are putting out some SICK products in their 09 and 2010 boats.

If I were in the market for a serious upgrade - I would DEFINATELY check out the RZ2 and RZ4. I love the pickle fork and the TAPS. And their new interiors are really coming up to par with Malibu and MC.. Sick boats..

skiyaker
09-02-2009, 09:06 AM
good friend of mine bought a Tige Z1 literally the day before I got my OBV; Funny thing is that his dealer told him that Tige is the only V drive that you can trim- so when he saw my OBV last weekend he was a little surprised by the wake plate. It's a nice boat but I'm not sure I can find the $10k extra that he spent; his factory stereo didn't come close to mine so he poured $5k on amps, speakers, etc... His ski wake isn't nearly as good as my OBV at 32 mph 15 off. Worst of all his dealer is a tool- when they put in his wetsounds equalizer they cut a big hole on the back side of his dash- he told them to fix the hole in his boat and so they put carpet over his subwoofer. If I were spending the bigger bucks I'd prefer a Nautique but that's just me.

kaneboats
09-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Guma, I met that dealer a couple years ago. His sons are big skiers and ski in the demo shows and stuff. I think one worked at Cypress Gardens too. He's a great guy and very knowledgeable.

moombadaze
09-02-2009, 09:30 AM
How I ended up with a Moomba

Back in 03 was looking for a skiboat. We had prevuisly had a Mastercraft prostar, So we looked for a used vdrive in our price range around 30k. We looked at about 3 used mcrafts-could find anything clean enough. Then stopped in at the local ski centurion dealer as there are some on out lake. He had a direct drive for around 33?k and made the comment its in the same price range to compete with moomba-planted the seed to go look at them. Looked at 2 new mcrafts both base models, one vdrive and the little direct drive--liked them both but felt cramped in them and the price was 15k more than i wanted and he said i could finance them for 20yrs to get to the payment i needed-That scared me. Finally stopped in and looked at the Moomba's, they had a mobius vdrive in blue with some options around 33?k. Went home and thought about it for 10 minutes and called them back and said can we go for a ride, yes was the answer just give us 10 minutes to drop it in the lake. So 9 minutes later were back and the boat is ready to go. I think after 2 minutes on the lake I knew we were getting this boat. Do I still look at other boats-yes, do I want any other brands-nope. Are there better boats out there-maybe but cost is a big factor and what I have spent on a new boat on another brand i would be looking at a 5-6 yr old used with no warranty. Big question-is there a better boat for my abilitys--nope. Am I completely satisfied--YES

Guma
09-02-2009, 09:44 AM
This wasn't the first time I had stopped at FIC to look at the Tige line. I stopped and talked to Dom probably 3 months ago, right when we first started looking at buying a boat. I think both his kids worked at Cypress at one point.

I have read some of the problems with older Tiges, but from what I have seen and read they are really putting out a lot higher quality than they did years before. I got to briefly demo the Tige Touch which is their version of the Maliview. Gotta say, I really like it! Program, speed and ballast for up to 20 riders, push a button and go.

One thing to note, Dom's shop has been around since 1956 and is going strong. He took it over from his dad in 77or so, and should be around for a while to come.

I am really wondering if having so much time to make a decision on which boat to get is a blessing or a curse. I feel like a freaking woman right now, not being able to make up my mind.

kaneboats
09-02-2009, 09:47 AM
You have to water test boats and compare out the door prices. You'll know what you want.

Razzman
09-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Guma say your post on Tigéowners, if your reading about all the Tigé issues on WW then, well your getting many biased opinions. WW has been a Tigé bashing forum for years, why i don't know. Tigé makes a very nice boat, I wanted a 22ve before i found Moomba. I just couldn't justify the $53K base price and it would have been $60K + otd, I got my LSV for $39,600 otd. Big, big difference!

Tigé is the only mfgr that has an unlimited lifetime warrenty on their hulls. Have a problem with a Tigé hull and get a new one, that simple. To date they've never had to do it. They probably have the strongest hull in the industry. Yes they had issues with the Metcraft tower for a few years, dumped them. Wake Designs rack issues, dumped them too. Marine Power 6.1 issues, handled. TAPS problems a few years, corrected. In essense it was all with other mfrgrs products. I'm not defending them, just relaying what i know.

I had an older Tigé once (see pic) and loved it, a '95 2000slm comp. I bought it cheap ($6700) in neglected condition, restored it and sold it for $13K two years later to a guy that just had to have it regardless of the fact it had 850 hours on it. It now has over 1100 hours on it and still runs great.

The other guys have their issues too. Malibu's wedges ripping off, Mastercraft's weak towers and thin hulls that spider crack masively, etc. Tigés by far have been much less serious. For some reason the other guys like to hide their issues but bash Tigés. The guys on Tigéowners are just honest is all and proud of their boats as we are of our Moombas. I have no regrets buying my LSV and i'm glad i stumbled onto Moomba as i got a quality boat for far less.:D

My old Tigé ...

jmvotto
09-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Razzman,
that is my experience with Tige owners up north. My friends are as laid back as could be, but like quality or quantity . I almost bought a used tige 22v ( 2001) in 2007 little pricey and was in mint condition 26k. 275hrs loaded. but i fell in love with the supra and then the moomba. their BB is very similar to our a close knit group of people from what i can see as i explored that prior to my moomba ownership. the hull is amazing and to stand behind it like that ... says something But end of the day I own a moomba, and my buddy likes it alot!!!!

NCSUmoomba
09-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Speaking of cheating, that new Axis A22 is a great boat, pure function. It is like Malibu's version of a Moomba...

Fman
09-02-2009, 01:43 PM
After a few emails back and forth between myself and a local Tige dealer, Dom at FIC over in Largo Fl, I head over today for a test ride on the 22Ve.

After an honest oversight by one of the mechanics we end up taking the 24Ve out on the water. I gotta say I was highly impressed by this boat and the performance. Mostly notably was the TAPS and convex hull that allowed the wake to be changed from a decent slalom wake to a very nice wakeboard wake, and again to a nice surf wake without using any ballast.

There were quite a few other features that I like about the Tige over the Moomba line, but whether or they impress me enough to make up for the $15k price difference is a whole nother story. One big eye catcher about the Tige is the Alpha Z tower, I freaking love that thing!

I understand this is a Moomba board, but are there any members here who might share some experience with owning a Moomba then a Tige or vice versa?

My decision just got that much harder I do believe!

If you want a fair Skiers Choice comparison, take out a Supra 24 SSV/Sunsport 24V in place of the Tige 24Ve. I think you will find the 24 SSV throws a comparable if not better wake than the Tige. I know the 24 SSV Gravity III system STOCK is 1,900 lbs of ballast compared to under 1,000 lbs for the Tige 24Ve.

I was close to purchasing a '07 Tige 22 Ve before I bought my '08 Supra 22V, the Supra fit and finish was much better than the Tige. The Tige stock ballast on the 22Ve was only 600 lbs. The Tige TAPS is just an adjustable wake plate. Although I do think Tige builds a nice boat, if you are comparing the two, hands down I think Supra is a much better product and offers a lot more boat/upgrades for the same price.

Just my .02

sandm
09-02-2009, 02:28 PM
agreed. I don't think it's fair to compare moomba and tige. different markets.
I think that if the axis takes off, it will be a contender with some moomba models, however given looks, axis can't hold a candle to moomba. moomba makes some sweet looking boats. the axis is malibu's red-headed stepchild.

Razzman
09-02-2009, 02:57 PM
The Axis imo is just plain looking. Ugly tower, stupid looking windshield and those seat base cutouts for a base of $39,900? Add the neccessities you'd like and your around $50K.

jclevoy
09-02-2009, 03:45 PM
I was out on my boat yesterday. I remarked to one of the other guys that my boat is perfect for me and my family. I couldn't imagine that I would need something better or that I could have done better performance-wise. We were surfing, wakeboarding, etc. etc. and the boat performs flawlessly (wake was perfect). Best part is that I spent $29k for a 2007 boat that had 70hrs on it when I bought it. For a Mastercraft in the similar model year/# of hours..........it was going to be $50-$60k. I have driven mastercrafts for years, and would say that the Mobius LSV performs fairly competetively ESPECIALLY when you consider that I could have bought 2 Mobius LSVs for almost the same price as 1 used Mastercraft.

From a Mobius LSV owner that couldn't be happier.........

jester
09-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Before buying my Moomba i looked at all the boats out there. The only thing i really do not like about my Moomba is my tower. I do like the Malibu's tower more then mine but it was not worth the 15K more. Every boat has its up sides and down sides. It is finding the boat with the options and service you want for the money that you want to pay. I Love my Moomba and it is the right boat for me right now. The Tige is a very nice boat but in my mind not worth the price difference.

Guma
09-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Thank you to everyone who has replied to this thread, great information and some great insights as well.

I do agree comparing the two side by side is unfair, different price points and different markets. I know it is going to come down to whether or not I want to be sensible and be very happy with the Moomba, or splurge and be very happy with the Tige.

I have my price for the LSV guesstimated with Dave at Land O Lakes for a 2010 model, also contacting Bob Campbell in Orlando for a price work up. Lastly I will get the Tige price worked up and we will see where we sit and what the real price difference is between the two boats.

Fman
09-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Thank you to everyone who has replied to this thread, great information and some great insights as well.

I do agree comparing the two side by side is unfair, different price points and different markets. I know it is going to come down to whether or not I want to be sensible and be very happy with the Moomba, or splurge and be very happy with the Tige.

I have my price for the LSV guesstimated with Dave at Land O Lakes for a 2010 model, also contacting Bob Campbell in Orlando for a price work up. Lastly I will get the Tige price worked up and we will see where we sit and what the real price difference is between the two boats.

If you are ready to step up into a more expensive boat, make sure and also test drive Malibu LSV/VLX, Mastercaft X-star/X-15, Nautique, and the Supra 24 SSV.

moombadaze
09-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Did you see that Supra on Dave's showroom?

Guma
09-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Did you see that Supra on Dave's showroom?

I did, and I don't want to disrespect anyone who has one, but that dash with the huge bezels around the gauges is just a real eye sore to me.

dtlaine
09-02-2009, 09:34 PM
One of my neighbors has an X-15, and it is a fantastic boat. I don't know what they paid for it, and because it's a saltwater series, I know it was quite pricey. I think Bay Area Watersports has quite a few boats in stock, so if you're looking for a pricier boat, Jim is a great guy to talk to. Plus, you won't have to drive all the way across the bay to Largo for service.

maxpower220
09-02-2009, 09:44 PM
I first skied and looked at buying a Tige in 1997. I was really close to buying but the money was a little over what I could afford. Also, at the time, Tige was touting a plywood floor as being better. Now they use all fiberglass like everyone else. IMO, their interiors are built great, good fit and finish.
When comparing, look at the engine that they use. Indmar is a key to a boat that I would own. My first boat had a Mercruiser DD and I did not like that set up. I know that most Tige have Mercruiser, but some had Marine Power.
TAPS is great, Tige started that whole fad.

Guma
09-02-2009, 10:07 PM
max - Tige is now using PCM as their standard engine. The PCM EX343 is standard in the 22Ve.

dtlaine - Didn't know they were that close. may take some time to shoot up there tomorrow and give them a once over and see what MC is all about.

dtlaine
09-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Yeah, they're about two miles north of LOL Marine. I think they have a used Tige there, too.

09-02-2009, 11:16 PM
All the experienced wakeboarders I've talked to say the Tige Taps system isn't anything great and that these boats NEED ballast to produce a good quality wake. I'd put my XLV with 2650lbs against any tige anyday in term of wake performance.

In terms of looks, i think that Tige seems to just copy all the other brands (Malibu),

Guma
09-02-2009, 11:31 PM
All the experienced wakeboarders I've talked to say the Tige Taps system isn't anything great and that these boats NEED ballast to produce a good quality wake. I'd put my XLV with 2650lbs against any tige anyday in term of wake performance.

In terms of looks, i think that Tige seems to just copy all the other brands (Malibu),

Granted, I have zero experience to draw from to say the wake I saw yesterday was a great wake using no ballast. I was basing my opinion off of the test ride in the LSV and pics from the web. What I saw was a pretty good wake for wakeboarding, then add either the 900lb or 2000lb ballast option and I gotta believe it will be right there with any other manufacturer.

One thing Dom explained to me about the hull. Tige uses a convex V hull design, which means the hull never flattens out. If you look at the hull lines towards the back of the boat it actually starts to come back up slightly. Dom says this convex V hull design is equivalent to 1000lbs of ballast. Now, I understand that is a sales technique, because how could they really compare that to come to such an equivalency. But my test ride did show that the convex V hull design does "hold water" as far as producing a better wake without ballast.

All that said, I would get a ballast system if I were to order a Moomba or a Tige.

Oh one last thing about the Tige ballast, it is all hard tanks under the floor versus bags in the storage lockers. I really liked that feature. Again, I know I am comparing apples to oranges here, but I really do appreciate all the input you guys are providing about another manufacturer. THANKS!

dtlaine
09-02-2009, 11:44 PM
more ballast = more fuel. If there's a way to make a comparable wake with less or no ballast, that's a huge advantage. When the economy comes back around, I expect fuel prices to go up again.

My neighbor w/ the X-15 really liked the hard, hidden ballast tanks until he realized he may want to upgrade the ballast at some point. I just replaced the 400 lb sacs in my OB V w/ 750s for surfing, and it took a matter of minutes. That's worth something, too.

Clearly, there is no perfect system. It's a matter of preferences and priorities. At the end of the day, the price point of the Moomba still plays a significant role.

I am quite certain that if I were to spend the money to get one the more expensive boats, I'd go with a MC. Someone would need to explain the advantages of Nautique, Malibu, Supra, Tige, etc. The local MC already explained the advantages of the MC, and I own a Moomba for a couple reasons. The most important was that the idiotic homeowner association where I live thinks that the OB V is 18' because so many people in my neighborhood have them. Our lake has a 18' max length. Other than that, the price was quite important along with having a local dealer. The fact that Moomba uses an Indmar motor and teleflex controls played a large role in my decision. You're getting a lot of feedback here, but I think you really need to test all the boats on your list to see what you like best. Like most people in here, I think you'll find the Moomba the best value.

Razzman
09-03-2009, 12:37 AM
What people fail to realize is that TAPS is nothing more than a wakeplate just like your Moomba or Supra. They just have a name for it along with a proprietary gauge with numbers. Wakeplates have been around forever, it's just that Tigé was first to install and market them on wakeboats as part of a marketable system back around 1998 or so.

They came up with a combination of the TAPS plate & their ConvexV hull to create a boat that can create a decent wake for beginner to intermediate level riders. It was never meant to market as nor did they ever claim it created pro level wakes. Tigé, like everyone else, has always marketed additional ballast if you want pro level just like all other boats must do to get pro level wakes.

That is one of the many misconceptions that gets everyone all fired up on WW for some reason. The funny thing is that now that many top mfgrs, including Mastercraft for 2010, are offering wakeplates on their boats it's now all good and a great idea. Go figure. :cool:

Fman
09-03-2009, 02:26 AM
My neighbor w/ the X-15 really liked the hard, hidden ballast tanks until he realized he may want to upgrade the ballast at some point. I just replaced the 400 lb sacs in my OB V w/ 750s for surfing, and it took a matter of minutes. That's worth something, too.

I am quite certain that if I were to spend the money to get one the more expensive boats, I'd go with a MC. Someone would need to explain the advantages of Nautique, Malibu, Supra, Tige, etc.

My brother in law has the X-15 ('07), its a very nice boat. However, it has the exact running gear (eng/trans/vdrive) as my Supra. My Supra ('08 Sunsport 22V) has extra features such as the Z-5 cargo rack, retractable ski pylon, pop out heaters, adjustable wake plate, rear facing seat, very large ice chest that is actually useable, rear transom stereo controls, 1900 lb ballast system. However, my Supra also lacks the hard ballast tanks. Bummer about the X-15 is the ballast is only 700 lbs, he has to fill extra fat sacs to actually use the boat for surfing. I do like the MC swivel board racks (and yes my Supra does have them too). Both boats have a 100" beam and are 22' long. Trailers are both boxed in, 4 wheel disc brake, LED lights.

I have not wakeboarded behind the X-15, I do believe the wake behind my 22V is very large and rampy, especially when I upgraded to the 1900 lb ballast system. I also paid $10k less than the X-15. I would run my boat up against the X-15 in handling and performance on any given day.

Anyway, MC makes a great boat, but I do believe SUPRA is a comparable boat to the MC.

sandm
09-03-2009, 05:53 AM
I can't believe someone with a tige hasn't stumbled across this thread yet, joined and started giving us their .02 :)
I know if my cousin knew about it, he would have already joined....

09-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Personally, I love the bags versus the hard tanks. I know a lot of people on here wish they were hard tanks but I like the fact that with no ballast I have sooooo much storage. I can fit 3 wakeboards, 1 surfboard, all of our vests, ropes, wetsuits, and much more in just the two storage compartments on the sides of the engine. Then when we ride, I take them out and fill up the bags (1500 lbs). Surfing is a breeze with that weight too.

Sled491
09-03-2009, 12:31 PM
back in the day a buddy of mine bought a brand new Tige' ski boat. We thought it was just the bomb. Today I look at MC's and Tiques, Boos, etc and none of them jump out me as better than another. I think I'm smart enough to realize when I'm looking at a shinny bobble and when I'm looking at a superior design. I just don't think anyone has the market nailed on the best darn boat out there. Each one has it's strengths and weaknesses.

Roachman
09-03-2009, 12:49 PM
When I first got into riding in 1999 I went out and purchased a 2000 Tige 21V Riders Ed. It was a great boat and threw a great wake when weighted with 1000LB I actually think the wake was bigger and cleaner then my LSV weighted and also better then the new RZ2 that I frequently ride behind. I agree the taps is no diff then the wakeplate. The reason I purchased a Moomba is becuase i could get fully loaded for under 40K. No regrets with my choice. I think both companies make great boats you just have to see which one fits your budget.

sandm
09-03-2009, 01:06 PM
agree to a certain point with ya sled.
I don't think there is one boat that has nailed the all-around best watersports boat, but look at quality, materials, workmanship and innovation and there are those that do lead the pack.
compare a skiers boat to nautique and there's a huge difference in overall quality and workmanship, but it comes at a steep price.

Fman
09-03-2009, 05:50 PM
My point I was trying to make was all the major players make nice boats, price, motor type, fit and finish and accessories is what it comes down to. I personally like Indmar motors over PCM, but thats just me. When you spend over $65k for a boat you are going to get a great product, regardless of the brand.

mmandley
09-03-2009, 06:35 PM
When i was boat shopping this past winter, i never even herd of Moomba. I knew of MC and Malibu and herd the name Nautique in passing.

When i went to the boat show it was purly to brose the big boy boats and yahts to spend a day drooling and taking pictures of dreams.

When i walked in the Moomba display is the first one you see. They musta spent money or won the lotta on floor location. Sean and Gerry O were the guys at the even. From the momment i walked up Sean was nice and respectfull and i was honest and told him i knew nothing about wake boats.

He talked to me for a good hour and made me feel like i was important and not some smoe on the floor wasting his time. He told me to walk around and look at all the boats and options and talk to people.

I went by the MC and Malibu and several others including Bayliner. Not one of those people talked to me. I looked, touched and even talked about options on some with my frineds. Not once did i get a sales guy say hello or anything.

When i got back to the moomba display at the end of the day, Sean said welcome back Mike. He even remembered my name. That goes a long way with me. Talking, explaining, not pressuring me, and at that minute i knew moomba was for me. I didnt know if i wanted an OB LSV or a Supra even. I knew i was buying from them though.

Never once have i walked into another dealer to even see what they have. I figured if at a boat show were talking is the big buisness of the day and no one has the time or desire to talk to me then i will take my buisness else ware. All that told me was if they wont talk to me to sell me a boat then how will they treat me when i want service on my boat.

RobertJ
09-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Mandley is dead on about our dealer Active Water Sports in Portland, Oregon. The cool thing about them is they have such a great selection of boats. They carry Moomba, Supra, MB Sport and most recently Malibu. What a great selection and great people to work with.

As far as the overall post goes, Tige's are nice boats and sold by the closest dealer to my town. Since they are so close our lake is full of Tige's. I own a Moomba, '07 LSV, because it fits our lifestyle and our budget and it is a great boat. The budget aspect was huge to me because I did not want to become a servant to my boat payment or pay-off. I am not backwards in the boat and the payment is under $300.00 for less then 8 years.

Overall by the boat you like from the dealer or private party you like and feel the most comfortable with.

Guma
09-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Just thought I would give a little update as to what all went down today. Got up to Bay Area Watersports to check out the MC line of boats. Met up with one of the owners, Jim, while I was there and told him what I was looking for in a boat. Seems the X-15 is the MC boat for my needs. We went for a ride in a X2 on the lake right beside his shop. Nice ride, enjoyed the performance, overall a great boat. I am sure that goes without saying! Jim loaded me up wioth brochures and two DVDs, and 2 complimentary tickets to the upcoming boat show in Tampa, Sept 11-13th. Great guy, even went to Beef O Brady's for lunch afterwards with Jim and one of his buddies. Free boat ride, free DVD's, free tickets, and free lunch, pretty good start already, Right?

Well I get back home late in the afternoon and I have a few emails from Tony from the Tige dealer. I had mentioned to them about my upcoming business trip to Dallas. They told me the Tige factory was in Abilene, about 3 hrs away. After I explained my already tight schedule they said lets see what our sales manager can work out for you. Hour later a rep from Tige calls me to get the details on my travel and says he will call me back tonight.

Sure enough he calls back, probably within the hour. Tells me he has airline tickets ready to go to fly me from Dallas to Abilene at 1pm with a return flight at 6pm. This is on Monday of next week, the same day that I actually fly into Dallas at 11:30am. They will have someone at the airport in Abilene to pick me up and tour the factory, take out a boat for another test drive, and basically hang out the Tige factory for almost 4 hours.

I was completely floored and more excited about getting out to Texas than ever. I feel like a Rock Star getting all this stuff handed to me! I guess this is what they do to sell a boat nowadays.

I want to say thank you all the Moomba guys on here who have commented in this thread and for the fact that is has not turned into a Tige bashing session. Speaks volumes for the class of people on here! I will say with all the new items coming out for Tige in 2010 (check out the updated website), I may end up going with the 22Ve from Tige, and I will definitely try and get pics and a trip report to share with you guys when I get back.

dtlaine
09-03-2009, 10:43 PM
I am glad to hear that Jim treated you well. I had a pro (Tim keepers) on my boat once, and he said the x2 throws a terrible wake. The qualities he is looking for are different than what most of us are after, but that's what he said. With you in riverview, you may want to look @ the saltwater series. My neighbors love taking their x15 into the bay. I think Jim got the mc factory involved in my neighbor's sale to get some money off. You may want to explore that option.

Guma
09-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Yeah the wake behind the X2 was not very impressive, but a nice wake nonetheless. He didn't have an X-15 ready to go out on the water and he was the only one in the office when I showed up and on top of that they are getting ready for the boat show next weekend.

He did give me a price range, and I think it may be out of our budget. The X-15 with the options I am looking for would be well over $70k.

dtlaine
09-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Yeah
, they are expensive. If it truly comes down to a price issue, be sure to take another run @ it. Of course, If you find you like the Tige or Moomba better, the mc price is a non-issue.

jmvotto
09-03-2009, 11:49 PM
Guma, my buddy and i went to get a part for his tige a couple a weeks ago .... and an x15 was in the showroom which he seriously contemplated, but it sold the next couple days before he could really think about it on sale for $59,220.

this boat was friggin loaded and has the interior room of a 24 ft boat.

http://www.seagermarine.com/Default.aspx?RD=3252&Feat=1

Click on the x15 slider sold tag to get the pics

Fman
09-04-2009, 01:24 AM
Yeah the wake behind the X2 was not very impressive, but a nice wake nonetheless. He didn't have an X-15 ready to go out on the water and he was the only one in the office when I showed up and on top of that they are getting ready for the boat show next weekend.

He did give me a price range, and I think it may be out of our budget. The X-15 with the options I am looking for would be well over $70k.

Give Shawn a call at American Power Sports in Rancho Cordova, CA. He had a 2009 SUPRA Worlds Edition 22V for sale for $54,000! I believe this boat is superior to the X-15 and Tige, it just has too many options and a much larger ballast than both. This Worlds Edition is easily over $70k in a good market. This boat is bad ass, and loaded to the hill with every option available. For $54k it was a steal, not sure if its still available but worth giving him a call. They are a great dealership and will take care of you. (916) 635-4644.. again, ask for Shawn.

maxpower220
09-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Guma, I was in Dallas last weekend and I went to The Slalom Shop (Tige dealer there) (I actually went to every ski boat shop) and he only has 2 "new" (both 08s) boats in stock.

In the 90s, I felt that Tige had one of the best slalom boat out there and TAPS made it a viable boarding boat. Now, I was not impressed with their slalom boat's wake. A good friend of mine has owned 2 Tiges and loved them, but he is a boarder only.

Have fun on the tour.

Jeff W
09-04-2009, 12:22 PM
I'd buy a new Tige RZ2 tomorrow if I had the cash flow.

They have improved their wakeboats, quality, etc by leaps and bounds in the past 2 years.

Comparing an 07' Tige to a 2010 Tige is laughable.

yearround
09-04-2009, 05:14 PM
i am very happy with my moomba. a lot more than the price went into our decision to buy. i don't plan to buy another boat for several years.

Hoopskier
09-05-2009, 06:41 PM
I like Tige alpha Z tower, I'm not so fond of their other tower. One thing i can't get past it the weight of the Tige boats. I'm pretty recreation skier, some wakeboard begginer. The outback weights 2750 lbs., Tige 20i 3250lbs. or Tige 22i 3895 lbs. I realized the 22i is larger than the OB but it isn't that much larger. Wouldn't you want the weight in ballast and a lighter boat the remainder of the time-save fuel when not loaded. I really like the layout of the 22i with the alpha z tower.

Add: I also use my Ford Sport Trac to pull my boat. Something heavier I would need more of a full size vehicle.

Razzman
09-05-2009, 08:25 PM
The weight of Tigés is one reason the ConvexV hull works so well.

sandm
09-06-2009, 10:38 AM
are the moomba's light boats? my launch20 shows 3200lbs dry, and I'm guessing around 3500 once loaded with gas, gear and coolers.. similar to the 20ft tige...
I always thought the 20ssv was very similar to the outback v, but guessing not..

thinking next trip out, I'm going to weigh the boat at our scale at work to see. wondering if I'll be surprised..

Sled491
09-09-2009, 10:27 AM
I believe the weights for the LSV and XLV and the Supras are all in line with the competition. I looked at an X14 a couple of weeks ago, fully loaded I could have got it for 56K, down from 70. Very beautiful red, but the sales rep made so many mistakes about specs on the boat I was just turned off. And these specs were what were important to me for many reasons.

Some one earlier made a comment about why the big boys like MC and such lead the pack. I have to stop everyone here and remind them that Moomba and Supra are both in the top 5 selling ski boats in the Market (some one will need to check that for me, it might just be one of our boats). If we're not leading the pack, then who is?

sandm
09-09-2009, 11:32 AM
skiers is still a ways off the lead.
here's the numbers for '08 as reported by wakeworld.
granted a much improved year and probably shows that consumers are looking for better values for their $$ in this economy..

will be anxious to see the '09 year end numbers and see where moomba is. bet it's another couple points higher, however still a long ways to go, and some of the data will be skewed with dealers closing shops, some of the prices the higher end boats are being sold for will dilute the marketshare percentages..

http://www.wakeworld.com/wwimages/news/2009/SS1.gif

Sled491
09-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Very interesting. But note that if you called all SC boats "SC boats" we would be #3 overall.

dtlaine
09-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Guma - What's the plan? Have you made a decision?

Guma
09-15-2009, 11:28 PM
Guma - What's the plan? Have you made a decision?

After quite a bit of deliberation we have decided to go with the Tige 22Ve. There were quite a few factors that went into our decision. We both know the Moomba is, and will remain, a quality boat, but there were things from the start that we felt we were compromising on and eventually we didn't want to settle, just because of the price point the Moomba brand offers.

I do want to thank everyone here in helping us make our decision, even though it was a competitor's boat. I have read and learned a lot from all the threads on this forum, and will continue to lurk and post when I have something to add. I have also joined the Tige forum, under the same name, and have posted what we will be ordering in early Jan.

BTW - Look for a Sea Dek swim platform cover coming up for sale in the near future. I ordered it, not wanting to miss out on the GB price.

Jeff W
09-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Post some pics of the new rig. 22ve is excellence.

Guma
09-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Here are the pics from the boat builder. We won't be placing our order till Jan for delivery in Mar.

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=222&pictureid=1806

Interior
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=222&pictureid=1807

Jeff W
09-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Does it have the pickle fork front end or no?

Can't remember if the new 22VE's or or just the RZ2's.

Guma
09-16-2009, 03:28 PM
No pickle fork on the Ve, just the RZ.

Jeff W
09-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Kinda what I thought.

Wife and I may go for a RZ2 next year at this time. ;)

Sled491
09-16-2009, 04:27 PM
And this is that much better than a Supra 22 SSV? Don't get me wrong I like the interior detailing, but my buddy has the 22 SSV Worlds Edition, and it is one Kick Butt boat!

Jeff W
09-16-2009, 04:29 PM
And this is that much better than a Supra 22 SSV? Don't get me wrong I like the interior detailing, but my buddy has the 22 SSV Worlds Edition, and it is one Kick Butt boat!

All depends on your needs, your styling preference, the dealer that is near you and how they treat you, etc.

I want a pickle fork for added room and I love the look. I also HATE how steep the wake is on the 22SSV. My buddy has an 08'..

When you're spending this kind of cash - it's just different strokes, different folks. They are all incredible boats.

moombadaze
09-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Guma, what are your thoughts on that drivers seat? I sat in one of the boats at the show with that seat and i was wondering what would happen it it gets snagged and starts to tear/split. I was a little suprised that i liked that video dash with all it would do-kinda cool

Sled491
09-16-2009, 04:37 PM
I understand the dealer thing. Not every location has outstanding dealers for all brands around. I was talking with the local MC dealer. Had a beautiful Red X14. But the sales man made soooo many mistakes on what the boat was and is, especially on things that are very important to me (like draft). I could never see myself doing business with those guys. On the other hand my SC dealer is just awsum!

Guma
09-16-2009, 05:10 PM

Supra was the first of the top brands I looked at and the first thing that I could not put up with were the huge bezels around the gauges. Really thought those things were an eyesore. I never go around to looking beyond that.

Guma, what are your thoughts on that drivers seat? I sat in one of the boats at the show with that seat and i was wondering what would happen it it gets snagged and starts to tear/split. I was a little suprised that i liked that video dash with all it would do-kinda cool

Looks to me like a pretty tough material. I think if it got snagged it would still take a pretty good bit of force to rip it.