PDA

View Full Version : Can you wakesurf behind OBV 07???

jmvotto
08-31-2009, 09:04 PM
Ok surf experts? i am looking to upgrade from G1 to G111 for the moomba. I have looked at lots of setups. any pre06 lsv or 06 to 08 OBVplease chime in.
Jester, Mcmoomba, jessiec, crix, stang ss etc.( i'll get to the pumps, valve questions after i solve the first one, DIY vs Dealer etc.)

Can i surf withe the factory system from the dealer?
do i need to upgrade the rear sacs to the 400lb or the GG 565lb, 750's are a little too big.

we do not want to put bags on the seats to get the weight , usually have 4 adults and 4 kids in the boats( kids usually in the bow)

Ed, not uprgading to the OBV 09. yet

can i do it??? or do i need an lsv or bigger

PS i tried behind my friends 24ft Tige( big wave) no ballast, and wake plate stuck in slalom mode, but i almost rode free on the "jimmy Jam" Foam Board LOL

McMoomba
08-31-2009, 10:18 PM
JV, I have an 08 OBV and we have surfed alot this sumer. I did the upgrade from G1 to GIII myself over the winter. I had the 400lb and it just did not do it the 750lb is bigger than the rear locker but it works fine it just fills all available space. here is a link to the GIII upgrade and a couple of pics if us surfing with center 400lb full and 750lb @ 9.75mph wife driving and 3 kids in boat (400 lbs ttl)

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=7690

My 13 year old having a fresca
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=225&pictureid=1764

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=225&pictureid=1765

dtlaine
08-31-2009, 10:38 PM
With the ski locker sac full, a 750 lb sac in the rear, and however many people you can get as far back and to the correct side; you'll have a good surf wake. I have an '07 OB V, and it definitely throws a surfable wake. The 750 really isn't too big. I don't think you can fill it completely, but the overwhelming majority of it is full.

Good luck.

jmvotto
08-31-2009, 10:44 PM
mcmoomba, thanks for the photo's gotta love the fresca.... nice wave BTW.

I was admiring your work earlier today and yesterday on my searches, can't find the rule pumps anymore so maybe the tsunami 800 will have to do. Thanks for the update on the 750's looks like it will work. Not sure why the 565 GG bags are so expensive.

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-gravity-games-rear-sac.html

that solves it, proof in the pudding, but definatley need more than the 400lb in the lockers.

Canuckle Head
09-01-2009, 02:25 PM
I have an 07 OBV with 400 in the center locker and 750 in the rear storage locker and it's a great wave. Get a few extra people in the boat and you go from great to awesome! :D

I would estimate the 750 at 95% full when in that locker so I wouldn't get too worked up about it not fitting.

scoot_gt
09-01-2009, 02:58 PM
...but definatley need more than the 400lb in the lockers.

jmvotto -

Just to clarify, my wife can easily surf with 400 in the ski locker and 400 in the rear of our 06 Outback V. We usually have 4-5 others to throw onto the ballast side. Also more weight up front will elongate the pocket so you aren't all up on top of the swim platform.

Of course, she weighs a buck oh five soaking wet :)

jmvotto
09-01-2009, 04:43 PM
scoot gt , how would that wave work with her x2 for us husky guys on a five foot board:D

got any pics of that wave

skiyaker
09-01-2009, 05:36 PM
can I hook the 750 directly to the pump that feeds my GIII ballast on my 08 OBV or do I need to upgrade the pump for the bigger bag? would it just be a matter of taking the bigger bag a long time to fill?

scoot_gt
09-01-2009, 05:46 PM
scoot gt , how would that wave work with her x2 for us husky guys on a five foot board:D

got any pics of that wave

No pics of my wave - but I promise it looks nothing like the monsters I've seen posted on here.

I have seen a guy (180lb-ish) try surfing for the 1st time on my 4'6" board - 400lb in the ski locker and 400lb in the back - only me on the boat driving - and he free rode on his 2nd try. He was bumping the swim platform a good bit however. He's also a hell of a wakeboarder and grew up skateboarding.

With little other weight on the boat, it is usually tall enough but a little washy with a small pocket that is much closer to the boat than most are comfortable with. Maybe I'll grab some pics this weekend.

With some xtra folks up front and on the ballast side, the wave/pocket elongates much more. I won't argue that more weight is better - just not required ;)

jmvotto
09-01-2009, 06:33 PM
skiyaker, should be plug an play with the same fittings, might need to lenghthen the fill line. but will take longer with e OEM pump and valves
my .02 idon't have it yet, i just been learning..

dtlaine
09-01-2009, 10:13 PM
You may want to lengthen the fill line. It's a stretch on mine. I don't find the fill times to be excessively long, but others seem to. I may be wrong, but I think a bag fills faster when it's the only thing being filled, so after the ski locker bag is full, all the water being pumped is going to the 750 # bag. I doubt it's 3x faster than having three bags filling together, but I suspect it's filling somewhat faster. Just don't do what I did on Sunday and forget to tell the people in the boat to start filling the bags as soon as the boat is launched.

04OUTBACK
09-01-2009, 10:21 PM
JV,
I think I am staying in Victor next weekend. Let's get together and see what we can come up with..my boat or yours.. I have my Blue Lake and my LF Venture up there. My boat has a 750 on the surf side... We'll SURF!
I am tentatively looking at my wife flying up on 9/11 to join me for the weekend. I am going home this weekend(actually..I am flying around the US this week) I'll be in NY Wed. Night thru Friday aft.

Or I am in town Tues and Wed eve next week too..

Let's ride..