PDA

View Full Version : Slight Virbration

Salyers
08-31-2009, 03:35 PM
Hey guys. Had my boat out this past weekend and hit my first log. Submerged just underwater in middle of channel. What crappy luck! Had to happen sometime right? Anyway, couldn't really tell any difference initially after hitting it. I put the boat in idle right after hit. Didn't notice anything but a small vibration in rearview mirror. It was the end of the day anyway so we loaded up the boat. When we got the boat on the trailer I noticed a pretty good vibration while loading on trailer. Didn't see any digs on blades but acouple marks on the bottom of hull (very minor and hard to notice). I did however see an area on each blade on the shaft side that looks like the ridges of the blade have be worn off. It is a different shape on each blade. The shaft didn't have a mark on it.
Are the marks on the rear of the blades normal or was this caused by the log? Could the shaft be bent?
Don't want to take it to the dealer unless I have to, but don't want to ruin my new baby. Thanks for the help!

Razzman
08-31-2009, 04:49 PM
The slightest variance between the blades can cause a harmonic distortion which causes vibration. Either pull the prop and have it checked or have your dealer do it. Probably a good thing to check the shaft for trueness anyway. The prop can more than likely be repaired.

bergermaister
09-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Salyers - I can relate and feel your pain as I hit my first submerged log (dead-head) this summer as well.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest to at least go get an inspection on the driveshaft, strut, etc. Depending on how hard the hit was I imagine you could have jarred other things lose as well such as the mounts for the tranny, engine, etc.

In my case the inspection and estimate was "free" as there was obvious damage and the insurance needed to know how big of a check they were going to have to write...

Brian Raymond
09-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Salyers, sorry to hear about the mishap. Drivetrain damage can really be underestimated and be costly in the long run. I would take the boat to your dealer and have them give it a once over. Hopefully you can get by with just a prop. recon. Brian Raymond