PDA

View Full Version : Spare prop?

Venom93corba
08-31-2009, 09:08 AM
Do any of you guys carry a spare prop? A couple of people that I talked to said they did so I called my dealer and he said the stock prop for my Supra was $525! Thats alot of money just to have as a spare. What do you guys do?

Copen80
08-31-2009, 10:26 AM
I keep a spare and my homemade prop puller in the truck. There is no way I could change one in the water, so I do not carry it on boat.

If you shop around on E-Bay you may be able to find a better price. I bought my Acme 13.5x17.5, 4 blade, on there for $300. Ski-It-again.com also has a few props listed on their site, that appear to be below "MSRP"

Venom93corba
08-31-2009, 10:34 AM
I've never taken prop off. Do you have to use a puller?

Razzman
08-31-2009, 10:42 AM
Never have had a spare, i just try and be as carefull as possible.

Copen80
08-31-2009, 11:00 AM
I don't see how you would get one off without a puller. At least not off of a tapered shaft, a splined shaft may be different.

Sled491
08-31-2009, 06:53 PM
there is no way to remove your prop without a puller, and even with a puller your workin' to get it to pop. I have a spare and a puller, sits in the garage, not even out at the lake.

Mikey
08-31-2009, 06:57 PM
I have both,but haven;t used either. I take prop along with on trips but yah you'd need to pull boat out to fix so it stays in truck or wherever.

Ian Brantford
08-31-2009, 09:06 PM
Having a spare prop saved me a couple of times in my previous boat (an I/O, hit a rock), once right in the water. However, changing a prop in the water is much easier with an I/O than with an inboard. If you are going to carry a spare prop, take the time to practice changing it on the trailer first, and carry goggles for any on-the-water work. A breathing hose would be a good idea too.

STANG KILLA SS
08-31-2009, 09:26 PM
there is no way to remove your prop without a puller, and even with a puller your workin' to get it to pop. I have a spare and a puller, sits in the garage, not even out at the lake.

i had a spare prop for my nautique. first time i had to have a puller.
after that i swamped them out 5-10 times never needing a puller again.
kept waterproof grease (for outboard lower end) and the shaft, and loosen the nut, and give the prop 2-3 taps with the hammer and she'd pop right off. it was a tapered shaft.

Sled491
09-01-2009, 09:18 PM
What you guys may be saying is true, all I know is that I have changed my prop 3 times, and each time it was like wrestling with an orangutan!