PDA

View Full Version : Ballast problem

csm
08-29-2009, 11:15 PM
I've seen this asked a couple of times, but not sure i've found the answer I'm looking for yet... My left rear ballast fills anytime I get on plane. The black lever on the valve is in the correct position, and I've tried it both ways. I opened up the valve that the solenoid is hooked into, and nothing stuck out at me that looked wrong, but I'm pretty sure this has to be where the problem is. Should I go ahead and just replace that valve w/ one from Home Depot, since they're only around $12? Or are there other possibilities for the continuous filling? Is it possible my solenoid needs replacing also? I'm not sure how to test the solenoid.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

gr8scott
08-29-2009, 11:25 PM
I am having the exact same problem except my right ballast fills up and it won't empty. I have had the problem where it fills on it's own for a couple weeks but just today where it won't empty. When I toggle the right ballast switch to empty the red light comes on but I can't hear the pump working. Now I have a boat in my garage with one completely full ballast. I have a 2008 XLV. Any thoughts on how to empty that thing? LOL

Ian Brantford
08-30-2009, 12:08 AM
I'm not sure how to test the solenoid.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

You could swap the solenoid with the other side. If it starts to fill instead, you have the culprit.

Ian Brantford
08-30-2009, 12:13 AM
INow I have a boat in my garage with one completely full ballast. I have a 2008 XLV. Any thoughts on how to empty that thing? LOL

Disconnecting the drain host will let the water drain into the bilge, where the bilge pump will take care of it.

... maybe pulling it out of the garage first would be a good idea. :-)

csm
08-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks Ian - Good idea. I'll give that a try.

tazz3069
08-30-2009, 05:54 PM
I agree with Ian. Swap the solenoids and see what happens. I bet the it is stuck in the open position. Or open where the sprinkler valves are. Have someone put their hand on that solenoid. Hit the switch. Have that person feel to see if it moves or hears a click. If so, then it is not the solenoid. It might be the diaphragm inside the valve. It could be cracked. Check these two things to see if that solves the problem.

Now on to the other problem. I would check the 3 amp fuse under the dash for that drain pump. Under the dash, there is a block of 6 fuses. 5amp for the pump and solenoid and a 3 amp for the drain pump. Check these out to see of that is the problem. If the fuses are good, check the connection at the drain pump. If the connection is good and the fuse is good, I would get a 12v tester. Place the tester at the end of the connector at the pump. Hit the drain switch. See of there is power at the connector. If not two things can be the problem. Its either the switch itself or there could be a brake in the wire.

I hope these suggestions helps both of you. Keep us informed on the results.

Tazz