PDA

View Full Version : Tough Summer

Waynes345
08-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Man, it's August 29th and the sun is shining here in Northern Illinois. Unfortunately it's also 58 degress with an expected high of 62 and I can't beg anybody to go out for a run. I guess I'll be on the lake by myself doing some recreational fuel burning just to pass the time. This is the summer that wasn't.

Figured I'd stick this here in the Skiing board just so we get some activity.

Sled491
08-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Weather in SE WI has pretty much sucked since tuesday. I haven't skied since monday. Rain rain rain, cold cold cold. Supposed to be nice tomorrow, but only in the low 60's. Guess it's time to pull the drysuit out already. I'm so bummed about the short summer this year, I may pull the boat out shortly after labour day:(

BensonWdby
08-30-2009, 10:00 AM
We skipped the cabin this weekend for daughters birthday party - but not much of a loss - Right now it is 46 degrees in the Twin Cities, probably less at the lake. The good news about the cold summer is that there were fewer boats on the lake most of the year. It also gave the lake a chance to 'breath'. It is a small lake and lots of boat pressure has been pretty hard on it in the last few years.

Sled491
08-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Well clouds have finally broken, its bright and sunny here at the lake. Not too warm yet, but should be a nice day. A little windy, might have to be a surf day.

kaneboats
08-30-2009, 03:48 PM
Man, it's August 29th and the sun is shining here in Northern Illinois. Unfortunately it's also 58 degress with an expected high of 62 and I can't beg anybody to go out for a run. I guess I'll be on the lake by myself doing some recreational fuel burning just to pass the time. This is the summer that wasn't.

Figured I'd stick this here in the Skiing board just so we get some activity.

Must be the effects of global warning. You can blame George Bush for that. He's the one that made that hurricane happen after all.

Mikey
08-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Well i went out yesterday and had temps of 87 ,but water in this lake which even i expected to be warmer was only 66. After coming back from vacation in Mexico where all the water including icecubes was in the low 80's this was a little refreshing to say the least.
Zegm you mention 6 more weeks only. I expect 6 more weeks,here untill freezeup time is near. I imagine you probably really have another 6 months by our standards, so get out and enjoy.

graybmg
08-30-2009, 09:42 PM
Yeah, even in Alabama people seem to think summer's over but I'm not done yet! Water temp still very nice here. I'll be in a bathing suit through October. Although it does seem that summer faded fast this year. I hate it.

zabooda
08-31-2009, 12:37 AM
And my summer is just starting. Not really, I spend September boating the local area which has water warmer than in July. Heading out tomorrow for Lake Roosevelt and come back over Labor day weekend when it is suppose to cool down into the low 80s. Then I camp in the desert and do some quad riding. I'd do some dirt biking but it is too dry still as we haven't had rain since June which is the way it is every year. Very predictable weather.

I was raised in NE Iowa and I know those weather changes. I lived in the panhandle of Florida and really liked the weather and the water temps. I still have four more weeks of vacation before the end of the year so if you dirt bike ride come down to Moab from 10/18-25. See you there.

mcdye
08-31-2009, 08:18 AM
This weekend we had partly sunshine, mid 80's air and water was 80`. For our area this has been a mild summer to say the least. Looks like we are going to need sleeping bags for next weekend camp out.

ABUCKOTOMAMBO
08-31-2009, 05:56 PM
This upcoming weekend will more than likely be the last "lake" weekend. The weekends this summer were not really the best for enjoying the lake. We had some great summer days in the middle of the week. The past few days in ND / Northern Minnesota have been wonderful. But of couse this past weekend we were not at the lake. Labor Day weekend is all I will get. Evening temps in the 40's Lake temp is below 60 now. Time for wet suit....

Sled491
08-31-2009, 07:04 PM
Go figure weather all weekend was cold. Saturday rain and crappy. Sunday, sun, but cold and windy. Today, just beautiful. Lake was like glass, warmed up to high 70's. Go figure we were backing up to move back to our other house for the winter. My neighbor on the lake called at 8 jonsing to ski, but had too much to do. Gonna try and sneak out tomorrow and wed before I leave for fishing trip to Canada.

barefooterh2o
08-31-2009, 10:56 PM
That's why I invested in 3 drysuits so my friends can join me until Dec. in Iowa. Actually, I've noticed the last 3 summers in Iowa the warm water just wasn't there for long. Maybe 6 to 7 weeks not being in wetsuits or drysuits. Before that, Memorial weekend (or before) til past Labor Day was no wetsuits. Where's the global warming???

Sled491
09-01-2009, 09:14 PM
That's why I invested in 3 drysuits so my friends can join me until Dec. in Iowa. Actually, I've noticed the last 3 summers in Iowa the warm water just wasn't there for long. Maybe 6 to 7 weeks not being in wetsuits or drysuits. Before that, Memorial weekend (or before) til past Labor Day was no wetsuits. Where's the global warming???

Amen Brother! Was out today, just awsum. 75 degrees, had to put on the shorty though as these mid 40 nights aren't helping the water temp. Made some of my best passes all season!

germa001
09-02-2009, 12:09 AM
I just bought a body glove shorty. I would have rather had a billabong or quiksilver but I had gift cards to bass pro and body glove was the best they had. I was hoping not to have to use it anytime soon but with as cool and windy as it's been I may have to break it out sooner.

Mikey
09-02-2009, 09:58 PM
I have Bare wetsuits. Good quality at a fair price. Also Canadian made.