PDA

View Full Version : New boat: Need help with a bumper issue

Venom93corba
08-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Hey guys i'm trying to make some ropes for my bumpers and im not sure what to do. The problem is that the pop up klets are only a couple of inches higher then the rub rails. Once I make my eye splice im already lower then the rub rail. What do you have for your set ups? Thanks.

Venom93corba
08-28-2009, 06:14 PM
ok maybe im think of this wrong. As you can tell this is my first boat, haha. This will put in at a launch 100% of the time and i'm just trying to keep the boat off the dock. When I back in do i want the bumpers hangin from the boat or in place at the dock. I know its stupid this is just stuff i have to figure out. Im just trying to keep my baby from gettin scratched.

mmandley
08-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Get some decent sized and Long bumpers. Put about 6 ft of nylon rope on them. You will find every dock is different and it also depends on water conditions.

Generally i try not to dock my boat at all. I have someone at the nose and someone at the back and when i get close they hold the boat off the dock. Then one will get on the dock and hold the boat off using the tower.

If you have to tie it up i always tie up on the side that pushed the boat away from the dock with the current. So the water is always pushing me away from the dock. Then i just hang the fenders < bumpers > so they are protecting the boat form the dock.

So fare ive been pretty lucky and most of the docks ive used are padded well.

Razzman
08-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Venom, it's all trial and error and trust, you'll get it. :)

I have four Dockmate 5.5x20" Tuff Shield Fenders (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=76750&pdesc=Dockmate_Tuff_Shield_Fender_5_1/2_x_20&cname=Boat-Fenders&aID=602B&merchID=1009&r=view) each with 5' of fender line (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=23092&pdesc=Dockmate_5_Fender_Line&cname=Boat-Fenders&aID=602B&merchID=1009&r=view). Each fender is covered with a Dock Edge Fender Cover (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=86955&pdesc=Dock_Edge_Fender_Cover_fits_5_5_x_20_fenders&cname=Mooring-Dock-Outlet&aID=608E&merchID=1009&r=view) because the back & forth motion of the fender will scuff the gel. Not so obvious on lighter colors but the dark boats really show it. I also keep a couple of quick-adjust hangers similar to these (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=33429&pdesc=Kwik_Adjust_Fender_Lok&cname=Boat-Fenders&aID=602B&merchID=1009&r=view) to attach a fender to the tower if needed. They come in handy and i've had to use them a couple of times.

To expand on this for dock line I keep two each of the following; Stretch 'N Slide Dock Lines (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=87151&pdesc=Stretch_N_Slide_Dock_Line&cname=Dock-Anchor-Line&aID=602C&merchID=1009&r=view) and 6' Dock Buddy that stretches to 9' (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=33370&pdesc=6_Dock_Buddy_stretches_9&cname=Dock-Anchor-Line&aID=602C&merchID=1009&r=view) depending on the situation or a combo of both. These are super easy and super quick to use.

To answer your other question, i just make the shortest loop possible and let 'em hang as they protrude out past the rubrail anyway. Never come close to hitting it.

Venom93corba
08-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks I'm just nervous. Pretty expensive toy.

deerfield
08-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Venom - In hope that they help facilitate your questions, here are a few photos taken at the Chicago July jamboree. The boat is a classic Supra, meticulously maintained by its owner Suprahunter. Take a look at how he has the bumpers positioned to protect the hull. He can hang them in just about any position needed to adjust for different dock heights and designs. Also tossed in a group pictures from the jamboree. - Deerfield

Venom93corba
08-29-2009, 08:17 AM
Thanks Deerfield that does help. These are just things that im gonna have to figure out. And Razz i'm definitely gonna pick up some of the things you have listed. The dock line looks like it would make life alittle easier. Thanks guys.

newty
08-29-2009, 09:24 AM
hippity hops from toy r us is all I use. Easy to deflate and store, keeps the boat a long way from the dock and won't leave marks on the gel like traditional bumpers. Oh... and they are only $8.

Razzman
08-29-2009, 09:54 AM
hippity hops from toy r us is all I use. Easy to deflate and store, keeps the boat a long way from the dock and won't leave marks on the gel like traditional bumpers. Oh... and they are only $8.

Newty U got the superman ones?! :p

jester
08-29-2009, 07:16 PM
It is all about the hippity hops. Also get a luggage strap with a clip and tie that to the hippity hop. Easy to adjust the bumpers without having to retie the line. just pull the strap or move the strap out. Also anyone then can put it out without really screwing it up.

newty
08-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Yup and a couple of the Lightning Mcqueen's. Four of them deflated take up less room than a throw cushion.

newty
08-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Wait a minute... You making fun of my hippity hops?:p

Sled491
08-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Not if your using Lightning McQueen ones :D

You buy the bigger bumpers. When they hang below the rub rail they are fatter than the slope of the boat. So the hit the hull and dock and keep the rub rail off the dock.

However I must point out that this is why they call it a rub rail. So it rubs against whatever and keeps your hull and deck from getting scratched up. My wife believes these are for riding against our lift to help her line up:)

mmandley
08-30-2009, 04:49 AM
Newty U got the superman ones?! :p

I got 4 Cars Ones. They rock.

kaneboats
08-31-2009, 03:03 PM
these are for riding against our lift to help her line up:)

My daughter thinks they are for riding against the trailer guides to slam you onto the trailer.

moombadaze
08-31-2009, 05:16 PM
hippity hops and then steal the pump from the wifes giant exersize ball:rolleyes:

meech
08-31-2009, 06:28 PM
hey newty,
these don't seem to be on toysrus.com at $8 ... all i'm seeing are some for $25. where do i need to look? thanks

yearround
08-31-2009, 06:44 PM
i have sponge bob square pants make docking a little more fun

kaneboats
09-02-2009, 10:08 AM
hey newty,
these don't seem to be on toysrus.com at $8 ... all i'm seeing are some for $25. where do i need to look? thanks

Hmmmmmmmm. Why do the hippity hops go on clearance when boating season comes to an end?

moombadaze
09-02-2009, 11:09 AM
I have a toysRus across the street from work and had to go back 2 times to get 4 hippy hops last summer, ended up with 2 black "cars" and 2 "princes" ones.

Razzman
09-02-2009, 11:28 AM
I know the hippity hops work well, i just don't want to hassles pumping the blasted things up everytime i tie up to a dock or another boat. My boat gets hectic enough with grandkids and all without that hassle! :D

jester
09-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Just attach the Hops to the tower when under way.

Razzman
09-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Just attach the Hops to the tower when under way.

Uh that would look pretty ghetto i would think? Running around the lake with balls hangin' and flappin'! :p Not me ...

jester
09-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Ok so i did not think that one thru. That is kind of funny. ok really funny.