PDA

View Full Version : Locking rear storage *pics*

brain_rinse
08-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Hard to explain, so hopefully the pics speak for themselves. I drilled a hole in the aluminum frame to allow a pin to pass through the frame and through the eye I screwed to the bottom of the sundeck. I did this front and rear on both sides. When the engine compartment is locked, and the pins are in place, you can't open the rear storage compartments.

sandm
08-28-2009, 04:21 PM
that's actually a real good idea. haven't really ever thought about theft, but that would take care of the basic "opportunity" criminals...

nice post..

mcdye
08-28-2009, 04:25 PM
That is a great idea.
Just wish my model had the engine hatch lock

mmandley
08-28-2009, 06:56 PM
So let me get this idea straight in my crooked mind.

You installed the hoop bracket on the underside of the Left and Right storage < ballast covers >

Drilled holes threw the aluminum framing from the engine compartment.

SO when you open the engine cover you install the pins threw the aluminum framing into the loop brackets.

Since the pins are in the engine compartment you can lock the engine cover to keep the side compartments locked as well?

I like the idea i really do. My only problem is my engine cover is a pain to open. When i grab the handle i have to hold the plastic case the handle folds down in to turn it. Other wise the entire thing turns.

I really like your idea because we leave the boat out on the street on nice weeks instead of taking it all down to get it in the garage and i always worry about peeps messing or looking in my compartments.

brain_rinse
08-28-2009, 07:04 PM

You installed the hoop bracket on the underside of the Left and Right storage < ballast covers >

SO when you open the engine cover you install the pins threw the aluminum framing into the loop brackets.

Since the pins are in the engine compartment you can lock the engine cover to keep the side compartments locked as well?

I like the idea i really do. My only problem is my engine cover is a pain to open. When i grab the handle i have to hold the plastic case the handle folds down in to turn it. Other wise the entire thing turns.

I really like your idea because we leave the boat out on the street on nice weeks instead of taking it all down to get it in the garage and i always worry about peeps messing or looking in my compartments.
Yep, exactly right.

I don't plan to have the pins there most of the time, just when I want to leave a board or two in back and not put it in the garage.

brain_rinse
08-31-2009, 02:19 PM
My only problem is my engine cover is a pain to open. When i grab the handle i have to hold the plastic case the handle folds down in to turn it. Other wise the entire thing turns.

On the underside of the handle is a big plastic nut. Tightening that down will stop the rotation.

98outback
09-01-2009, 06:59 AM
I thought the moombas came with that setup from the factory. I guess only the supras have it. My 2003 supra launch had it from the factory. A little different bracket on the lid but the same exact setup. Nice job.

brain_rinse
09-01-2009, 11:09 AM
I thought the moombas came with that setup from the factory. I guess only the supras have it. My 2003 supra launch had it from the factory. A little different bracket on the lid but the same exact setup. Nice job.
I'd love to see pics of this! Maybe the parts could be ordered and fitted to the moombas? And here I thought this idea was all my own... :)

98outback
09-01-2009, 01:10 PM
will snap some pics when I get home tonight

Razzman
09-01-2009, 09:15 PM
I'd love to see pics of this! Maybe the parts could be ordered and fitted to the moombas? And here I thought this idea was all my own... :)

They probably can be retrofitted. They are not Supra specific as you can find the identical units used at West Marine or Overton's. The problem is one; you may have to add material for the latch to work underneath, ie: same as the plate on the pylon and two; you'll have to remove the storage lockers covers, remove the upholstery and have it recessed like the engine unit the put back on.

98outback
09-02-2009, 06:48 AM
Sorry i did not get any pics last night. It was raining here and I didnt want to walk out to the boat shelter. I will get some today and post them up tonight.

98outback
09-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Here are the pics as promised. Sorry they are a little dark. The batteries in my camera were dead so I had to use my iphone. If anyone needs better pics I will get them this weekend. The first and fourth pic are of the bracket on the deck. The second pic is where you put the pins when not using them. The third pic is with the pin installed into the deck lid. Hope this helps someone.

tazz3069
09-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Very Cool idea.

brain_rinse
09-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Here are the pics as promised. Sorry they are a little dark. The batteries in my camera were dead so I had to use my iphone. If anyone needs better pics I will get them this weekend. The first and fourth pic are of the bracket on the deck. The second pic is where you put the pins when not using them. The third pic is with the pin installed into the deck lid. Hope this helps someone.

No way.. The pins are even the same! So much for my "original" idea. :) If the parts aren't too expensive, I think it would be easier to go with the factory parts since it would allow you to drill the holes in the aluminum channel lower. I like the tether idea too... I'll have to copy that part. Thanks for posting the pics!

98outback
09-03-2009, 12:41 PM
I know this came on the boat from the factory. Im not sure if it is standard or if it was an option. I have never had a problem with theft at my lakehouse but I do lock it overnight if I leave the boat in the water.

SC_LSV
09-03-2009, 05:18 PM
I like the idea of the locking compartments, but on mine (like almost all according to dealer near me) the lock for the engine compartment turns if you turn it hard enough. Therefore when you turn the lock it kind of defeats the purpose of basing everthing off the engine compartment lock.

Not trying to be a buzz kill. If yours doesn't turn then more power to you, lock it up, but still don't like leaving expensive boards/neos/lines/handles in the boat in storage. I keep mine at a private storage place that has cameras, and family lives right behind my stall, so maybe its just me.

Good idea though.

brain_rinse
09-03-2009, 06:13 PM
I like the idea of the locking compartments, but on mine (like almost all according to dealer near me) the lock for the engine compartment turns if you turn it hard enough. Therefore when you turn the lock it kind of defeats the purpose of basing everthing off the engine compartment lock.

Not trying to be a buzz kill. If yours doesn't turn then more power to you, lock it up, but still don't like leaving expensive boards/neos/lines/handles in the boat in storage. I keep mine at a private storage place that has cameras, and family lives right behind my stall, so maybe its just me.

Good idea though.

Yeah, I agree it's nowhere near theft proof. Just hoping to stop the opportunity theives. I've had enough stuff stolen to know that if someone wants something bad enough they'll find a way to get it.

If you crank down the plastic nut on the underside of the locking handle it keeps the thing from rotating so easily. I added some locktite to mine to stop it from backing out like it had been. Again, not foolproof - I'm sure with some leverage the whole thing would still turn.

Razzman
09-04-2009, 02:34 PM
I never leave any expensive items in the boat unsecured. I pull the removeable faceplate on the stereo, ipod, anything worth stealing. When at the lake and moored overnight i lock the boards to the racks with cable locks from Master Lock. Wrap it around the boards and tower and click together. In order to get them off you'd have to remove the bindings and for most people that takes too long and requires tools. Of course my boat is also moored 20' out from shore or in a patrolled slip. Been doing it this way for three years without issue.

09-05-2009, 02:32 AM
I actually like the OP's bracket better. it looks lower profile and less likely to snag or cut something.

walb0244
05-10-2010, 11:14 PM
I like the idea of this. One reason I would like this is for when I'm towing the boat from place to place as well. Won't have to worry about the compartments coming open. I tow with no cover so don't want to worry about when I pull off someone taking something.

Razzman
05-11-2010, 01:13 PM
I like the idea of this. One reason I would like this is for when I'm towing the boat from place to place as well. Won't have to worry about the compartments coming open. I tow with no cover so don't want to worry about when I pull off someone taking something.

I tow without a cover a well at least an hour each way and have never had the compartments come open even a little. I've towed over four hours @ 65mph and they didn't budge either. The way they close together is so tight i don't think they could.

squeeg333
05-14-2010, 03:12 PM

Mike - I think I have a solution to that plastic issue your having. I had a simlar issue. From what I recall, there is a large plastic nut on the underside of the engine compartment that you need to tighten, and then the whole thing should stay put when you twist the handle to open the compartment. I turned out the steel latch on the underside of mine was super loose too.

mmandley
05-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Mike - I think I have a solution to that plastic issue your having. I had a simlar issue. From what I recall, there is a large plastic nut on the underside of the engine compartment that you need to tighten, and then the whole thing should stay put when you twist the handle to open the compartment. I turned out the steel latch on the underside of mine was super loose too.

Yes sir you are right i did that near the end of last summer and works like a charm. Course it took the whole mechanism falling apart in the boat first LOL. Imagine the horror and embarrassment as i went to open my engine bay at the ramp to let it cool while cleaning the boat, with all the on lookers and the handle came right off in my hand LOL.