PDA

View Full Version : looking at a 03 LSV tommorrow, what to look for?

STANG KILLA SS
08-27-2009, 12:34 PM
looking to upgrade my old nautique and ive been looking at the 03-05 LSVs for about 6 months. well i had a local one come up for a crazy good price and going to look at it in the morning. :shock:

what kind of things should i be looking for? checking out? any known problems? any general stuff?
03 mobius LSV

im not sure if ill be able to do a water test or not, but i hope so.

any help would be VERY much appreciated guys.

thanks
Cory

yager97
08-27-2009, 01:17 PM
is it a gravity games edition? make sure it has gravity 3 ballast, which is 2 port tanks, and 1 in the ski locker. make sure it has perfect pass and it is functional. If you arent water testing it, you are limited in your inspection. At the least, have them stick a hose in the water intake, and fire it up for you. check for mold, rips in the vinyl, small or big, small rips will become big. the evac pumps on these models straight up suck, and they wear out all the time. if you can water test, test the ballast to ensure it fills and evacs.

STANG KILLA SS
08-27-2009, 03:12 PM
no just a regular LSV. does it have built in ballast?
evac? your refering to the emptying of the ballast? (sorry never had built in before)

good points yeah i hope to convince them to let me water test.

STANG KILLA SS
08-27-2009, 05:12 PM
heres my check list so far:

Ballast pump working?
any vibrations?
drain plug (hey some people loose them)
trim tab working?
lights
measure width(it has to fit beside my house or i get another fine. current boat is tight)
perfect pass working?

anything else?

Waynes345
08-27-2009, 05:34 PM
heres my check list so far:

Ballast pump working?
any vibrations?
drain plug (hey some people loose them)
trim tab working?
lights
measure width(it has to fit beside my house or i get another fine. current boat is tight)
perfect pass working?

anything else?

It may go without saying, but I would check the fluids and make sure they are at acceptable levels and relatively clean. Ask for service records if any, etc. Ask about general maintenance - how often oil changed, transmission fluid changed, filters, impeller, etc. Sometimes you can tell by looking at them how good the owner was with maintenance.

STANG KILLA SS
08-27-2009, 05:55 PM
fluids. thanks good idea!

moombadaze
08-27-2009, 08:40 PM
fluids. thanks good idea!

Also smell the fluids when you check the level on the dip sticks--you will have 3 to check, engine, v-drive, and trans. If any smell burnt thats not a good sign, as for the width of the boat-measure the guide posts width as they are welded to the trailer and will be your widest points. oh and if they wont let you test drive and check all system in the water--pass it up and keep looking.

98outback
08-27-2009, 08:47 PM
if you are a serious buyer and they are serious about the sale they should let you ater test it. If they dont allow the water test they may be hiding something. Make sure you check the bottom of the boat good. Also make sure the trailer is not rusted out.

STANG KILLA SS
08-27-2009, 10:13 PM
yeah he said he has no problem leting me water test it (dealership) but he says ill have to have paper work filled out and the loan approved first. i understand that. cant be taking every tire kicker out to the lake. it sounds fair to me. id do the same.
said it would be no problem if im approved.

if you guys can think of anything else to check let me know. i leave at 8am in the morning. im so stoked. no sleep tonight probly!

ive been fighting banks all day. they all say 03 is too old to finance. getting really frustrated, and i have near perfect credit. 826 credit score, 3 paid for vehicles, no CC balances. huge income to expesences ratio, only one debt ($4000 left on jeep). its been very frustrating to say the least. i pray the dealership can find a bank that will loan me.
this fkn ecomony is keeping me away from my boat! :fingerscrossed:

98outback
08-28-2009, 06:52 AM
Make sure there is not a lot of rust between the manifild and the headers. If there is the gasket may be going bad. I have heard if the gasket is bad water from the exhaust can go back into the engine. I had to replace mine on my 98 outback but my 03 supra does not have that problem.

Also if you can get them to crank it on the hose before you water test it make sure the prop does not spin in neutral. My 98 outback on the hose the prop would spin very slow. I think the transmission was going out.

STANG KILLA SS
08-28-2009, 05:50 PM
shes mine! got an INSANE deal. ill post up pics/info soon! picking her up in the morning! (took the bike to the test drive/dealership)
WOOOOOOT! im so amped!!!!!!!!!

mmandley
08-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Congratz on the new boat man. I'm looking forward to seeing some pics.