PDA

View Full Version : 08 Sacked Outback DD Wake

Jeff W
08-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Last night I went out with some guys in an 08' Outback Direct Drive that we sacked to the sky and it put out a nice wake. We ran a 750 where the back seat would go, a 350 on each side of the motor and a 500 laid across the bow up front and then we had 2 guys that probably added another 350ish.. I was impressed that it threw up a nice, clean wake. With the wake spread as it was, the boat still handled and planed well. With about 2k in ballast - everything was still on point. The wake was steeper than a normal Outback wake but didn't look too intimidating for a newer to intermediate guy. So if anyone is ever wondering - it's very possible to throw a nice wake on a non-Gravity direct drive Outback, you just gotta give it some weight!

We had 10 people on my 02 Outback last Saturday and the wake was pretty similar. Obviously that can't happen every weekend and isn't realistic for night/morning sessions. We got lucky enough to find some calm water early and late that day and got some sets in....

Limishowman3
08-29-2009, 06:31 PM
Yah I have sacked my 07 outback DD similar just 750 back 400 bow then around 8 ppl on the boat. A little over 2k ballast, it will throw a nice wake but man does it eat your gas lol. Rode behind a mobius lsv today and its wake with g3 was still bigger.

Jeff W
08-31-2009, 11:57 AM
Yeah, the wake is dope but it's hard to overcome the hull and size difference between an OB DD and a Mob LSV..

It was to see a firm, rampy wake from a DD though. Gives me some hope for mine for next year.

viking
09-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Quick question........can they write you up and ticket you for putting that much ballast in a DD? Or were you still within the weight guidelines printed on the boat? Just wondering. Got checked on a local lake this summer by a fish and game warden and they were asking alot of questions. Not like i'm going to advertise that I'm Loading it up when I go.
Thanks.

Jeff W
09-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Quick question........can they write you up and ticket you for putting that much ballast in a DD? Or were you still within the weight guidelines printed on the boat? Just wondering. Got checked on a local lake this summer by a fish and game warden and they were asking alot of questions. Not like i'm going to advertise that I'm Loading it up when I go.
Thanks.

Not sure. We are well over the recommended limit on all of our boats. I guess it just depends on how in depth they want to go. We only visibly ride with 1-2 sacs. We also have sacs in the bow, in the front ski locker, in the rear ski locker or under the rear seat and in a Malibu we ride - sandbags spread throughout.

I'm sure we COULD get a ticket as we ride in a couple boats with 3-5k in ballast + guys but it all depends on the lake, DNR, etc..

Most of the time we ride early in the morning or before sunset when nobody is out. When nobody is out, the DNR isn't out. So it's not usually an issue. I have more issues on a Saturday when I have 9 drunk friends in the boat ;)

viking
09-17-2009, 12:59 AM
U might be on to something there. I wonder how much 4 kegs would weigh? With my buddies, I better get to surfing early because by the afternoon most of the "ballast" would be filtered through them and back in the lake :) Thanks for the answer!!

kaneboats
09-17-2009, 12:09 PM
I believe there was a whole thread on here devoted to the discussion of weight limits with the consensus being that water ballast is not the same as weight because it could swamp your boat but can't sink it.