PDA

View Full Version : wakeplate problems

slowlearner
08-26-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm pretty new to this forum. I've been reading as much as I could to try not to ask stupid questions. I have a 2007 Outback with a wakeplate. It was fixed once so far by the dealer. But now we live quite a bit from the dealer. So if I don't have to drive a long ways it would be appreciated.

I think the wakeplate relay is the problem. The fluid is full. We used a voltmeter and determined that it was getting power up to the relay but not beyond it. You can hear the solenoid working when you flip the switch but the motor doesn't come on. The wakeplate relay has a warranty tag on it looking like it has been replaced once. I'm the first owner so maybe on the first repair it was replaced, not sure. Would the relay be warranty? The boat only has 80hrs.

Love the boat and get lots of compliments on it. Just want everything tip top.

yearround
08-26-2009, 06:10 PM
i have had similar problems with the plate. though usually the connections on the steering column come loose. my relay was replaced once by the dealer. i would guess that you are not covered under warranty for the 07, too much tiime.

you could call your dealer, they may tell you to call bennett trim tabs. bennett will tell you that they only supply up to wire harness coming off the motor the switch, relay, wiring beyond is from SC. so if you are able to determine that it is the relay, you should be able to replace that and back in action.

you can trouble shoot the relay system further by running a hot wire directly to the motor harness. i think that green is up and blue is down (there are 4 wires, red, yellow, green, blue) red is power yellow goes to the solenoid.

you can determine if the motor is working properly. by connecting the direct hot to the green will run the motor, you should be able to do this up and down, if the relay is the problem and the motor is good.

i think if the motor is bad, bennett will warranty it. fhere is a number to bennett ( i have assumed that your hydraulic plate is from bennett) 954-427-1400 they can help you much better than i, i am not much for mechanical stuff.

good luck

slowlearner
08-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Thanks I appreciate the help. I'll try those steps right away.

yearround
08-26-2009, 09:59 PM
i guess i am home now, i could go out and look at the colors and see if i remember any better, but i think you get the idea. good luck

slowlearner
08-31-2009, 10:17 AM
I did just as you said and confirmed or hopefully confirmed it was the relay. I've got one on order just waiting for it to get here to pop it in. The relay shows it was replaced once at the factory. They also bypassed the harness on the red wire. Must have been a problem there. I tried the people who made the relay. They had a warranty number on it and when they replaced it and even a phone number. But they said no to the warranty. It's too bad it didn't even last 70hrs on the boat.

Oh well I love the boat and this won't keep me off the water waiting for the part so no big deal.

I really appreciate your help.

slowlearner
09-10-2009, 02:56 PM
I've got it working now. It was the relay. I sure do wish they had provided more information in the manual about it. I had to replace the fuse under the dash from the switch as well. But now it works perfect again.

yearround
09-10-2009, 07:26 PM
glad you got it working!

we still have problems with the wire coming off the back of the controller, usually when people move the steering wheel up and down

can you provide the info on the relay type, where you got it, etc? mine was replaced when i still had warranty on the boat, but i don't have it now, it might save a bit if i had to do again on my own.

slowlearner
09-30-2009, 03:26 PM
I ordered my relay from the dealer. When I tried the manufacturer I just got voicemails. It was around a 110 with shipping. But the name on the relay manufacturer is BH Electronics, Inc. P.O. Box 506 Atoka, TN 38004 with a phone number of 1-901-837-1111.

It says Moomba Wakeplate relay module SC061A0132. Again thanks for the help!

PWO
10-26-2009, 06:54 PM
While sitting in my driveway out of the water should I expect the wakeplate gauge to work while trimming it up and down? My plate is moving but the gauge isn't going anywhere.

Also, my gauge (and probably everyone elses) has a picture of a boat with the stern weighed down on the left, and a more level one on the right. I should expect that the plate all the way up would be all the way left on the gauge (stern down, bigger wake), and plate all the way down on the right (more level, flatter wake), correct?

Does anyone happen to have pictures of their plate at the extremes (or at least all the way down)? Just trying to find out if mine is completely working.

Thanks

cab13367
10-26-2009, 08:12 PM
While sitting in my driveway out of the water should I expect the wakeplate gauge to work while trimming it up and down? My plate is moving but the gauge isn't going anywhere.

Yes, wakeplate gauge should work whether boat is in or out of the water.

Also, my gauge (and probably everyone elses) has a picture of a boat with the stern weighed down on the left, and a more level one on the right. I should expect that the plate all the way up would be all the way left on the gauge (stern down, bigger wake), and plate all the way down on the right (more level, flatter wake), correct?.

Correct, left is all the way up and right is all the way down.

PWO
10-26-2009, 09:05 PM
That's kind of what I figured, thanks. On that note is there a good place to start to diagnose why the gauge might not be working? I can try to check the connections on the controller I suppose.

cab13367
10-26-2009, 11:58 PM
Sorry, not really sure. Definitely check the easy stuff first though starting with the connections.

VA LSV
10-27-2009, 05:56 AM
My wakeplate will operate with the ignition off but the gauge only works when the ignition is on. Had me scratching my head after replacing the o-rings in the actuators. Thought I had damaged the position sensor.

PWO
10-27-2009, 07:15 AM
Ah that could be it, thanks. I have an 06 OBV which as I understand is basically the same as yours.

mmandley
10-28-2009, 09:39 AM
My wakeplate will operate with the ignition off but the gauge only works when the ignition is on. Had me scratching my head after replacing the o-rings in the actuators. Thought I had damaged the position sensor.

This is due to the fact the ignition adds the power to the gauge and not the wake plate its self.

The wake plate is powered separately of the ignition.

As for the wake plate travel its only a few inches in the up and down position. Look at the strut tubes and you can measure them all the way up and all the way down. Then post what you get as a total travel.

I can then do the same for mine and we can compare numbers if you want to see if yours is moving the full range.