PDA

View Full Version : Uneven Wake on '08 LSV

moombahighrider
08-25-2009, 12:01 AM
Have any of you guys had issues with your wake being clean on one side more than the other?
My 2008 Mobius LSV has a really nice clean wake/ lip on the port side and tends to have a pretty washed out lip on the starboard side. I have noticed it with anywhere from two up to 11 people on board, and with alot or a little ballast wieght (evenly distributed side to side) and it seems regardless of speed too. I figured that it has alot to do with wieght distribution in the boat, but i have tried to even it out side to side (with people and ballast). The only semi- success I have had is to fill the starboard ballast bag quite a bit more than the port bag to try and clean it up. It kinda worked, but it definately was not as clean as I would like. It just washed out the port side more and I tried to even the wash on both sides, then use the wake plate to clean it up as best I could. Like I said, it worked only so well.

At this point I wonder about the hull shape and what effect that is having? I would have thought that the hull would be layed/ formed even and not affect the wake like I am seeing.

Have you guys seen this same issue and been able to do something about it?

Any help greatly appreciated!

I did some searches on this topic but found nothing helpful. My apologies if it has been covered previously.

mmandley
08-25-2009, 06:12 AM
Sounds like your doing all the right things to fix the problem. Your definitely to heavy on the Star side. Normal when you have only a couple people because the driver.

I know my LSV is very touchy as little as 1 person sitting in the wrong spot makes a side wash out.

Only thing else i can think of does turning the boat slightly help at all? I know when you turn you will wash out the inside track. Maybe the boat is slightly turning? That would have to do with a bent tracking fin or steering wheel being slightly off center.

Other then that its about getting people centered. We generally go 20 then balance the boat for boarding. I have to move everything around of course for surfing again but gotta do what ya gotta do for the wake and wave.

moombahighrider
08-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks for your response, mmandley.
The interesting thing is that we have found that the starboard side wake does clean up a little when you turn to the starboard slightly. My steering wheel is definately not on straight as I have to turn it 1/8 turn port (roughly 10 oclock)to track straight. This is not a big deal as I can guage how straight we are going pretty well, but I will probably fix it this winter.
The boat only has 40 hours and has done it (uneven wake) since we bought it this past June. I have not hit anything and cannot think of any reason why a tracking fin could be bent, but I will check it out.
Typically I found that I am usually heavier on the port side, because of the extra seating space. That is why I tried adding ballast to the starboard bag.

brain_rinse
08-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Add more weight to the side that is washed out. People tend to favor the port side due to seating configuration, so move people around or alter the ballast. It might seem that you are making extreme adjustments but one dude in the wrong seat takes half of a ballast bag to offset.

Also as you add weight you need to add speed, and speed needs longer rope length. With stock ballast full and a few guys on board I like the wake at 22.5 mph (check with GPS, mine was 3 mph off from the factory) and 70 - 75 feet depending on rider.

Watch your prop wash in your rearview mirror and you'll be able to tell if you are tracking straight.

moombahighrider
08-27-2009, 12:07 AM
That is the way I was thinking. It just seems as though I need alot of ballast in the starboard side to get it close to even. I am upgrading to the 750 lb bags so that will give me more room to adjust. I will play with it a bit more this weekend if the weather holds up for us.

yearround
08-27-2009, 08:52 AM
moombahighrider, where is co are you?

my ballast upgrade was a bit different than most, i preferred to go with 650 bags in stead of the 750. they are a little longer than the 750 and don't go quite as high in the storage. we can still keep stuff on top of the bags and i get acceptable results for our abilities.

moombahighrider
08-30-2009, 03:52 AM
I am in the Telluride area. I actually live in Norwood, but they are basically in the same area. We boat mostly at McPhee Reservoir, and occassionally at Ridgway reservoir.
I hadnt seen the 650 option. My bags will be here on monday, so that is what I will stick with. I am looking for a steep surf wave, so I am looking forward to what the 750s will do for us there.

ga-lsv05
09-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Have any of you guys had issues with your wake being clean on one side more than the other?
My 2008 Mobius LSV has a really nice clean wake/ lip on the port side and tends to have a pretty washed out lip on the starboard side. I have noticed it with anywhere from two up to 11 people on board, and with alot or a little ballast wieght (evenly distributed side to side) and it seems regardless of speed too. I figured that it has alot to do with wieght distribution in the boat, but i have tried to even it out side to side (with people and ballast). The only semi- success I have had is to fill the starboard ballast bag quite a bit more than the port bag to try and clean it up. It kinda worked, but it definately was not as clean as I would like. It just washed out the port side more and I tried to even the wash on both sides, then use the wake plate to clean it up as best I could. Like I said, it worked only so well.

At this point I wonder about the hull shape and what effect that is having? I would have thought that the hull would be layed/ formed even and not affect the wake like I am seeing.

I did some searches on this topic but found nothing helpful. My apologies if it has been covered previously.

I'm having the same problem. doesnt seem to depend on people or ballast. i surf left side (driver's perspective) and my girlfriend surfs the other. her side never has the same wake as mine . its always washy. I have 750's in my boat and even with left side empty and right side completely full and people on her side it still doesnt have a clean wake. tried plate adjustments and everything. dont know what to do

Fman
09-08-2009, 03:47 PM

I had this same problem on my SUPRA 22V, although it was the exact opposite. I added the 750's and now I time my fill up. I fill the starboard side for 5 minutes and and port side for 7 minutes and it seems to totally clean the wake up. I fill the center ballast sac completely full. Using your wakeplate will also help alleviate some of the washout. Once you get it dialed in, these boats will produce a really nice wake. Beefy with a nice ramp... my wake is over knee high.

Seeing as I have no ballast flow monitors on my '08. Using a timer seems to work very well.