PDA

View Full Version : Tools in your onboard tool kit?

Guma
08-24-2009, 05:14 PM
So I have been on West Marine site for the last few days putting together all the safety equipment I need for the boat like, dock lines, vests, first aid kit, etc...

I started looking at tool kits, but was wondering if buying a tool kit with "X" amount of pcs was the best way to go or should I get a small waterproof tool box and stock it with only the tools I will need.

What have you guys done and if you bought the tools individually, what do you recommend as necessities for an onboard starter tool kit?

zabooda
08-24-2009, 05:24 PM
You need the tools to get a minor boat repair fixed, get you back to your trailer or to fix your recreation gear (i.e. skis, boards or ropes). I carry a knife, goggles & snorkel, fib, philips and straight screwdriver, prop puller, spare prop, spare parts, crescent wrench, first aid kit and locking pliers. A Leatherman is always nice to have around.

moombadaze
08-24-2009, 07:10 PM
What ever "box" you get, spray it with the garden hose 1st and then check to see if its still dry on the inside. I have one that i bought that has not stayed dry---everthing is rusted and and when i went to use it rust water came dripin out all over the floor of the boat. Need to get another.

Copen80
08-24-2009, 07:15 PM
I learned the hard way that a knife is a necessity!! 45 minutes of pulling a tube rope off of the prop was a key indicator I had forgten a very important detail. I also found out my swim deck floats!

Guma
08-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Good stuff!

On the box, I saw some at WM that had an o-ring seal around the top that looked pretty good for a small set of tools.

zegm
08-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Guma,

Did you just purchase your Moomba! If so West Marine will give you a FREE Toolkit. It has almost everything you need to do minor repairs on the water and the best part is if it does get damaged well .............Hey it was FREE!!!

mmandley
08-25-2009, 06:30 AM
I got this tool kit at Costco. 30 bucks.

Nylon bag so no rust. Lots of little pockets and so fare no rust on any tools as most are pre coated.

Ive added more but it comes with a small saw, knife, screwdrivers, pliers, and other goodies.

kaneboats
08-25-2009, 08:41 AM
Olympia? Did it come with a twelver?

Kidder
08-25-2009, 10:51 AM
My toolkit consists of an impeller, wrench and needle nose pliers so I can R&R the impeller, if necessary.

Venom93corba
08-25-2009, 11:06 AM
Guys this thread is perfect for me. I just bought my FIRST boat yesterday and i'm not quite sure of what i need. So just to recap :

TOOL LIST

-Dock lines

-First Aid kit

-Utility knife

-Goggles

-Screw drivers

-Extra prop

-Prop puller

-Crescent wrench

-Plyers

mcdye
08-25-2009, 11:39 AM
I have accumulated a list of things over time for thought. Not to say that I have all that is listed in my boat, but it might trigger a thought or a need for an item.

Boat Toolbox
Allen wrenches
Bailing wire
Can opener (to clean speedo pickups)
Circuit tester
Crimpers
Duct tape
Electric wire (assortment)
Electrical tape
Epoxy
Flashlight
Gasket sealer
Hex bit set (star and square head)
JB Weld
Leatherman
Lighter
Lock blade knife
Paint can openers (two, to remove impeller)
Pliers
Prop puller
Screw drivers
Silicone sealer
Small file
Socket set
Spark plug socket
Splice connectors (for all hose sizes)
Super glue
Vise grips
Volt meter
WD-40
Wire connectors
Wire cutters
Wrenches (adjustable, various)
Zip ties

Spare Parts
Fuses
Hose clamps
Ignition/ECM relay
Impeller
Prop (spare with key, prop nut, cotter pin)
Serpentine belt
Stainless screws (assortment)
Thermostat

Other Stuff
Boat key (spare)
Boating laws (current copy)
Cell phone
Drain plug (spare)
Flares
Jumper cables or Jump Start system
Paddle
Registration
Spot light
Swim goggles
Tow rope

First aid kit
6x6 gauze pads
Bug spray
CPR rescue breath shield
Epi-Pen
Insect/bee sting treatment
Pain reliever
Sam splint
Sun screen
Waterproof Band aids

mmandley
08-25-2009, 02:28 PM
I have accumulated a list of things over time for thought. Not to say that I have all that is listed in my boat, but it might trigger a thought or a need for an item.

Boat Toolbox
Allen wrenches
Bailing wire
Can opener (to clean speedo pickups)
Circuit tester
Crimpers
Duct tape
Electric wire (assortment)
Electrical tape
Epoxy
Flashlight
Gasket sealer
Hex bit set (star and square head)
JB Weld
Leatherman
Lighter
Lock blade knife
Paint can openers (two, to remove impeller)
Pliers
Prop puller
Screw drivers
Silicone sealer
Small file
Socket set
Spark plug socket
Splice connectors (for all hose sizes)
Super glue
Vise grips
Volt meter
WD-40
Wire connectors
Wire cutters
Wrenches (adjustable, various)
Zip ties

Spare Parts
Fuses
Hose clamps
Ignition/ECM relay
Impeller
Prop (spare with key, prop nut, cotter pin)
Serpentine belt
Stainless screws (assortment)
Thermostat

Other Stuff
Boat key (spare)
Boating laws (current copy)
Cell phone
Drain plug (spare)
Flares
Jumper cables or Jump Start system
Paddle
Registration
Spot light
Swim goggles
Tow rope

First aid kit
6x6 gauze pads
Bug spray
CPR rescue breath shield
Epi-Pen
Insect/bee sting treatment
Pain reliever
Sam splint
Sun screen
Waterproof Band aids

Bows down to the master..

Sled491
08-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Wow to Mcdye,

I have a knife, googles, spair air, roll of rescue tape, and ah, that's it.

sandm
08-26-2009, 04:45 PM
maybe we should change his name from mcdye to macgyver :)
did you jettison the center ballast bag to haul all that??

we carry a small set of tools, goggles, some spare parts for the hoses and the swimdeck pins. needing to get it all in a small toolbox and add a few things..
thinking a battery box would be a good toolbox and put it up next to the 2 batteries under the jockey box... just don't bolt it down, bungy it to the most forward one..

we carry a small first aid kit, but it's in the jockey box for easy access. have used it quite a bit for slivers from the docks we spend the day at :(

mcdye
08-26-2009, 10:41 PM
like i said i dont carry all items just a master list to work off of to make your own list.

Venom93corba
08-26-2009, 10:41 PM
How do you guys normally take a row off that you sucked up? Get it towed back the trailor and do it there or just go under with the googles?

zabooda
08-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Never had the opportunity but going under is usually the case. Depending on the time of the year, it may not be a comfortable dip.