PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Outback V - Hows the wake?

Venom93corba
08-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Hey guys what's up? This is my first so take it easy on me. I might be purchasing a 2k9 OB V next weekend and wanted to get your guys thought on it. I'm 33 yrs old with fam of 5. Me and my wife are entry level wakeboards and the kids are tubers and knee boarders. My first question is how's the wake behind this thing. I'm going next weekend for a test drive and that's the first thing I want to see. The salesman said it comes with the ballast bags. What about the wake plate? Does it make a big difference? Is that something I can purchase seperately? I just want something that's gonna put out enough wake for me. I wanted the Malibu VTX but I wasn't ready to give my first born. Let me know what you guys think, thanks.

jester
08-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Welcome to the fourms. I also looked at the Malibu line before i decied on the 08 OBV last year. I have seen the wake for the 09 OBV and it is a good wake. I have not riden behind an 09 but love my 08. They have a new haul desigen on the 09. I would get the wakeplate when you buy the boat. It allows you to trim the boat and provide a better ride in ruff water or to change the wake on the fly when someone is riding to make a better wake and put the lip of the wake where you want it to be for the rider. It is also fun to change the wake when pulling tubers just becasue it is a little evil to do.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions we are always happy to help.

p.s. Make sure you bring your check book when you go for the test drive. Most of us fell in love with the boat on the test drive and at that point why fight it.

Kidder
08-22-2009, 10:48 PM
Great choice of boat. If they would've had the newly designed hull in 08, I would've thought long and hard about buying it instead of the LS.

Make sure the boat comes with a wakeplate if you think you need one. I would recommend getting one to let you fine tune the wake. They're pricey to try and add yourself (at least according to my dealer).

Venom93corba
08-23-2009, 02:07 AM
Thanks for the posts guys. Yeah hopefully I'm moving my tst drive up to Monday. Man I'm so pysched. I noticed when we were talking options he said it had the gravity 1 ballast bag. Is there an option for a gravity 3? Is there much of a difference?

Kidder
08-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the posts guys. Yeah hopefully I'm moving my tst drive up to Monday. Man I'm so pysched. I noticed when we were talking options he said it had the gravity 1 ballast bag. Is there an option for a gravity 3? Is there much of a difference?

I would definitely go with the Gravity III and wakeplate.

spoon03
08-23-2009, 03:28 PM
i just bought the 09 OBV about 2 months ago. i too have a family and we love it as a family. the wake is great. i just started wakesurfing and the OBV gives a great wake for that. i also recommend the G3 ballast system with the wake plate. the only slight downside to this boat is that the wake is a little rough for slalom. i still get some good open water runs in, but it's a little rough coming across that wake. also, my little girl is 6 and she just came up for the first time on dual skis. she made me so proud. i think you will definately love the boat and the price as compared to others.

Venom93corba
08-23-2009, 07:49 PM
Guys these posts are getting me pumped up. Hopefully the salesman can squeeze us in tomorrow. Its a 2.5 hr drive each way! Hopefully I come home with the boat attached to my truck! unfortunately the boat come with only a Gravity 1 ballast. Would they be able to upgrade from a Gravity 1 ballast to a 3? If not what would my aftermarket options be?

skiyaker
08-23-2009, 09:20 PM
Would they be able to upgrade from a Gravity 1 ballast to a 3?

can't hurt to ask- I had a "final" deal and got a few sweeteners tossed in at the end; In other news- Just got back from an afternoon of wakeboarding in my 08 OBV-cloudy here which kept all the tubers off the lake I'm glad I bought my boat and didn't wait until next year. I have 30 hrs on her already and that's not counting the afternoons/evenings just drifting and swimming.

Jon
08-24-2009, 09:48 AM
A gravity 3 system can be added to a gravity 1 fairly easy. However, it will be the gravity 3 system pre 2009. It would be a pretty big deal to upgrade to a 2009 gravity 3 system with the reversible impeller pumps. The older gravity 3 is good but a little slow but for an outback v it won't be too bad with just 1200 lbs. It's a little more frustrating with the big 1950 lb system.

scoot_gt
08-24-2009, 12:26 PM
For my 06 Outback V - the wakeplate is necessary if you want to ever drive over 25mph.

Think of it more as an anti-wakeplate. Without the wakeplate (or with the wakeplate fully disengaged), the hull sits deeper in the water - causing larger wake. But the boat can porpoise a good bit at high speeds. With the wakeplate engaged, the back of the hull lifts out of the water creating a smaller wake and alot less porpoising at high speed.

I also only got the Gravity 1 and soon wished I had the Gravity 3. Get the dealer to upgrade for around 800-1000 (when I last checked). I have manual bags currently in the back - not as great as flip a switch. You will want the extra weight in the back sooner than you think - and its necessary for surfing.

Tower, Wakeplate, G3 - all you need to make the Outback V a great intermediate wakeboat.

Just my 2cents...

Venom93corba
08-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Well I bought a boat but it wasn't the OBV. We ended up with a fully loaded 2009 Supra Launch 21V! We saw it as soon as we got in the showroom. My wife and I said we want to test drive that one, and the rest is history. Man what a nice boat. There delivering it tomorrow. If you guys don't mind I'll post some pics tomorrow. Btw thanks for all the help.

kaneboats
08-25-2009, 08:38 AM
That's why I'm afraid to go into a showroom! Congratulations! I'm sure you are going to love it.

Venom93corba
08-25-2009, 10:43 AM
I got so excited that on the drive home I had to pull over and throw up (don't ask). Yeah it came with the G3 ballast. Its funny because on the test drive I look back and I said "man with the ballast filled that puts out a big wake" and he said "son . . . . the bags are EMPTY!" :shock: He filled the bags and I was like holy ****! Now guys you have to know I'm entry level and the only boat ive ever ridden off of was a 2003 Gekko 6.7 with no ballast. So this wake off the Supra was a monster to me.

mmandley
08-25-2009, 02:27 PM
I got so excited that on the drive home I had to pull over and throw up (don't ask). Yeah it came with the G3 ballast. Its funny because on the test drive I look back and I said "man with the ballast filled that puts out a big wake" and he said "son . . . . the bags are EMPTY!" :shock: He filled the bags and I was like holy ****! Now guys you have to know I'm entry level and the only boat ive ever ridden off of was a 2003 Gekko 6.7 with no ballast. So this wake off the Supra was a monster to me.

IM in the same boat < so to speak > i was new wake boats also when we got ours in Mach and said the same thing.

Wait till your in the water behind the boat and see first hand how big the wake it. I wont even board with my ballast full the wave is so meaty and think with a big ramp to it when the ballast is full.

I only use the center tank and my boat crew right now. We have a couple people that been wake boarding for 10+ years and they agree the boat is throwing a huge wake.

Sled491
08-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Love the SSV's. Post some pics and stick with us on the Moomba boards:) As far as we are concerned you're still family!

Venom93corba
08-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Yah I really like this message board, if you guys don't mind I'll hang here. Its been raining here all day so I didn't get a chance to take any photos but i did manage to take one with my phone. I'll try to post it. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Sled491
08-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Beautiful boat.

deerfield
08-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Venom - WOW! That's a great ride. - Deerfield

Venom93corba
08-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Thanks yeah it's our new baby. The only problem is it's the end of the year and I don't know how much more time we're gonna have with her.

wolfeman131
08-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Thanks yeah it's our new baby. The only problem is it's the end of the year and I don't know how much more time we're gonna have with her.

you better keep that baby locked up 'cause I'm heading home to C'bus to see the folks soon and I can easily make a detour to Toledo . . . :twisted:

I've got plenty of time left to be out in the lake here in Georgia

LOVE that boat!

Venom93corba
08-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Hey guys here is another shot i took of the gauges. All i can say is DYNO-MITE!

Mikey
08-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Nice looking boat. As for time to still get out ,thats what wetsuits and drysuits are for . Go till the water is hard.

jester
08-29-2009, 07:22 PM
venom, A Supra owner is still family. Not like the red headed step child family more or the crazy brother that comes to visit for a week and stays a year. J/K. There is alot of usefull information on the boards for Moomba and Supra owners. Very nice looking boat. What options did you get?

Venom93corba
08-30-2009, 06:52 AM
Everything was pretty much standard. Gravity 3 ballast ( wow used that today ), perfect pass ( my wife is now a great driver ), wakeplate, and as you tell tower speakers and racks