PDA

View Full Version : Towing wtih no rear staps!!??!!

A Whitaker
09-27-2002, 12:49 AM
The INDOT told me that I need straps on the rear and a safty cable or chain on the front. If not I would get a ticket for a unsafe load. My local dealer told me that I didn't need to strap the rear of the boat on a 2002 Mobius V. Now how do I strap it down on the rear and not hurt the gel coat. The Trailer Mate trailer has tabs at the rear but they pull the boat foward not down. They are too far foward under the trailer. Plus does anyone elses boat load to the left at the nose (bow)? It looks like the trailer is sprung from the weight sitting on the trailer jack all the time. Just questions That I have. Thanks for any help.

EUSTACE
09-27-2002, 10:05 AM
My dealer said the same thing to me! I was able to find Transom straps that are rubber coated on both ends, I ran the strap between the swim platform with the buckle closes to the trailer (keep the area waxed).

As for the Bow: I used 3/8” rubber coated cable with a Stainless Steel hook and saddle clamps. I prefer cable over chain for the fact that you can see a cable starting give up, where a chain will just break.

I really think both are a good idea. I once say a guy loose a boat on the ramp because his winch slipped into neutral and he had no bow restraint. (Granted it was a roller trailer, but not a pretty scene none the less)

boarders dad
09-27-2002, 09:08 PM
My dealer told me the same thing about rear straps. I found that the law in TN says you must have boat strapped to trailer. I found straps with rubber coated hooks that I use. I route behind the platform and then under the trailer bunk in a way that minimizes contact with the gel coat.

moombaschleg
09-29-2002, 12:17 AM
I too, live in Indiana, and was curious whether you were stopped specifically for that reason, or how that came about.

The boat we had before our new Outback LS had rear straps, but this one does not, and I see what you meant about the rear tie on hooks.

I did buy one for the front, because all I could envision was our new boat sitting on the ramp with no trailer!

A Whitaker
10-01-2002, 12:56 AM
Yes a State Police officer told me this when he pulled me over for my own safety as well as others traveling down the road. He was super nice and just ask me to fix it as soon I could.
I don't think it's Skier's Choice, Inc. fault because I believe laws are different from state to state.
But I think it sure wouldn't hurt for our boats to come from the factory with a safety cable and straps either. The cost of straps are around $30.00 bucks and thats around 1% of the cost of these boats. The trailer manufacture (Boat Mate Trailers) could move the strap mounting tabs at no cost. So this is cheap insurance for the consumer and good P/R for Moomba.
I would like to here a responce for someone at MOOMBA on this please.?
I guess all I'm asking for is when I buy a boat that I can safely tow it without scaring the gel coat and that we all get where were going a little safer. (at 80 MPH..... just kidding).

Thanks Alan Whitaker

RickT
10-09-2002, 08:47 PM
I appreciate the input and you are right each state varies in its laws, but that doesnt mean that we cant do our best to find a solution to this for the states that this does apply to. I will email Boatmate on this and see if we can come up with a better situation. Thanks for the post

Rick

Owen
10-10-2002, 09:23 AM
Using a cable on the bow eye and safety straps in the rear will definatley increase the chances of keeping the boat on the trailer during a catastrophic event. A vast majority of people will never experience this catastrophic event. As Alan mentioned, most D.O.T. laws including those pertaining to towing vary from state to state. Our philosophy has been to not add cost to the trailers for items not required by everyone since these items are easily purchased elsewhere if you want or need them.

In response to this thread, we are going to take a look at our tie down brackets at the rear of the trailer. They were moved for 2003 models, but that was to make certain the lights were not blocked by straps. I assume the straps still rub the hull. My suggestion, and this is what we have used, is that you tape a piece of carpet around the portion of the strap that rubs the hull with the soft side of the carpet facing the hull.

For the bow eye tie down, I suggest a galvanized turnbuckle with hooks on both ends. Find a piece of hose that fits snug over the turnbuckle body to make tightening and loosening the turnbuckle easier on your hands. Before you tow, hook the turnbuckle through the bull ring behind the bow stop and the bow eye of the boat and then tighten.

Owen Shelton
BoatMate Trailers

A Whitaker
10-10-2002, 10:40 PM
I thank Skier's Choice and Boat Mate Trailer for the responses.
I still have to disagree on the keeping the cost down on safty features. The cost of safety straps and a cable is little to none compared to the cost of one accident, however minor it may be. No matter what state or what saftey laws are enforced.
I do love the Moomba boat and the Boat Mate trailer. So please don't think I'm complaining. I am just asking these questions to keep my boating and traveling experiences safe and enjoyable for everyone.
The idea of the turn buckle is super!
I will also wrap my straps with carpet.

Thank You again!
Alan Whitaker

Lake Bound
10-11-2002, 03:45 PM
I bought a set of rear tie-downs froms Overtons that bolt through the rear of the trailer and are like a seat belt. They retract so you don't have to bother with removing them. They cost around $60.00 a pair but well worth it. No more rubbing on the boat. And me to I love the boat the tie down strap location was not a good idea.

Lake Bound
10-11-2002, 03:47 PM
I bought a set of rear tie-downs froms Overtons that bolt through the rear of the trailer and are like a seat belt. They retract so you don't have to bother with removing them. They cost around $60.00 a pair but well worth it. No more rubbing on the boat. And me to I love the boat the tie down strap location was not a good idea.