PDA

View Full Version : mdx

dwike
04-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Hey there,

Anybody out there pulling an outback l/s with an acura mdx? The mdx is only rated at a 3500 pound towing capacity. I am currently pulling my boat with a yukon, but would like to trade up to an mdx, but need to be able to pull the boat. Thanks in advance, and if you would please reply to me directly at [email protected]

G-Man
06-14-2004, 11:48 AM
Check the Honda/Acura web site for this information Acura recomends 3500 lbs for a trailor and 4500 lbs for a boat. Generally a trailor has a heavier tongue weight than a boat does. I do not have a boat but am buying one in the spring of 05. I have a 2003 Odyssey which is comparable in horse power and in torque. Acura also recomends a weight stabalization system for both vehicles. Along with a transmission cooling unit.
Honda does not have any hitch packages that are heavier than 3500 lbs right now. But if you use a draw-tite brand of hitch 5000 lb with their weight stabalizer system you should be fine. If you go with the wietht stabilizer system make sure that it is compatible for the type of brakes that are on your trailor, many of them are not compatable for surge brakes. All of this can be a little bit pricey but the Hitch itself can be bolted on very easily and the weight stabalizer kit can be installed what looks to be fairly easy as well.
Order your Acura with the Transmission Cooler and wired for lights and the rest can be done by the owner if you choose. Let me know how it works for you.

lowdrag
06-15-2004, 12:47 AM
How heavy is the dry weight on your boat. I've got a Mobius LS and boat and trailer weigh in at 3800 lbs. Add fuel and all the toys people usually carry in their boat and you won't be too far below that 4500 lb. mark. Sounds weird to have a different weight for boat and trailer towing. I know they must rate it at 3500 because the weak point would be the suspension and at 4500 because if you don't have all the tongue weight the weak point becomes the driveline, but it sounds like less than an ideal situation. I just get the idea that you're going to end up with a vehicle you're not very happy with when towing and one that may have some reliability issues down the line if you use it to pull the boat very much.

Catdog1
06-22-2004, 03:56 AM
Consider where you will tow.

If flat terrain, you may be fine.

If mountains, that's another story. Inclines dramatically change the equation.

skisanger
09-24-2004, 05:21 PM
Sorry this may be too late but i'm pulling a Sanger DLX20 (very similar in size, weight, etc. to my brother-in-laws Outback) with an 03 Honda Pilot which is virtually identical to the MDX. My boat is stored in a barn at the bottom of a very steep grass hill and the ramp at our local lake is very steep, but the Honda pulls like a champ. you do have to get a tow kit installed which besides the bar, includes a tranny cooler and a power steering cooler. On the highway I can easily do 70 or so with out feeling the truck being overtaxed.

If there is a downside, the independent rear suspension is not terribly happy about the tongue weight and you have to wonder the long term effects of towing with a unit body (rather than full frame) vehicle. So far this has been a great compromise for us because it is also my wife's daily driver and she really doesn't want to drive a "truck".