PDA

View Full Version : Whitewash on passenger side (left)

Fman
08-13-2009, 10:44 PM
I have an '08 Supra Sunsport, very similiar to the Moomba hull design, hope you guys dont mind me posting here. Seems to be some very knowledegable people on this site.

I am getting a lot of whitewash only on the passenger side at 22 MPH, with wake plate at 1/2 down. It gets much better if I fill the left side rear bags more than the right to weight it down more on the left side. I currently have the gravity III with the 750 LB rear sacs. (1900 lbs total) I usually do not fill the rears up completely.

Anyone have any ideas as to why the left side of the boat gets whitewash like this? Is this normal in every boat? The drivers side always seems to have a perfect wake.

I had a real nice wave going the other day with the left side much heavier, two other people in the boat, then I picked someone up at the dock (200 lbs), he rode on the drivers side and the whitewash returned! Are these boats that sensitive? I rode in my friends Malibu LSV last week and we had zero whitewash with his boat.... I dont recall him having to weight one side more than the other.

Any help or ideas on this would be appreciated!

Thanks...Travis

Razzman
08-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Travis, you figured it out already. To get the perfect wake you have to balance your weight. Most boats are the same, some more than others. I constantly have to watch the weight distribution of the same thing happens, it's just physics is all. :D

ian ashton
08-14-2009, 09:17 AM
I'm guessing that you weigh more than whoever is sitting on the passenger side...

Sharpie647
08-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Same here. I constantly have to ask people to change their seats so we get the perfect wake on both sides.

Fly high sells a "fat brick" to help balance the boat. I guess so you don't have to ask that "fat friend" to move to the other side of the boat.

http://www.wakemakers.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/f/l/fly_high_pro_x_series_fat_brick_w702.jpg
The Fly High Fat Brick will make it easy to balance the weight distribution within any type of boat. The Fat Brick Sac only weighs in at 155 pounds when full. Its handles and compact size allow quick repositioning to fine-tune the wake and eliminate any unwanted wash

Fman
08-14-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm guessing that you weigh more than whoever is sitting on the passenger side...

I was actually being towed, but yes, the new passenger weighed more than the person driving the boat. I am going to experiment with loading up the left side even with more weight from the 750 lb rear sac. I might even do a 40/60 split and see what happens.

The drivers side wake is always perfect, rampy and tall, but passenger side struggles at times. I would think more weight on this side even in the rear compartment will help out.

OldeBoy
08-15-2009, 12:48 AM
I have a Boomerang which is probably the most sensative of the group. When I am driving alone the boat lists slightly on the driver's side at cruising speed.

BensonWdby
08-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Might want to check your bilge also. Unlike the water in ballast, the bilge is free to move around. So if the dirver outweighs the passenger you get an even bigger weight difference. So for slalom I am always adjusting folks. With the DD, if my passenger is a lot smaller I always ask them to slide to the outside as far as they can.

Form&Function
08-15-2009, 07:26 PM
If your boat washes out on the passenger side remove weight from the driver side.

Sled491
08-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Doesn't some of this have to do with prop rotation as well? Isn't this why surfing regular vs goofy requires 2 different set ups, the RH prop rotation creates a better wake for regular surfers.

Form&Function
08-17-2009, 01:32 PM
That is very true sled but the boat in question will make a good wave on both sides.Well I know mine will and all the skiers choice hulls are similar.

Fman
08-17-2009, 02:11 PM
I am going to try and fill the rear left sac heavier than the right. I am also wondering if the front center sac is actually doing more harm than good??? Does anyone run just the rear sacs for wakeboarding, without filling the center?

mikebu
08-18-2009, 01:52 AM
Does anyone run just the rear sacs for wakeboarding, without filling the center?

Not me most of the time I just use the center sack in my 21v...

One thing you might do is calibrate your speedometer and confirm you are riding the speed you think you are. Mine was 1-2 mph faster then actual speed.

I have picked up some of those fat bricks to even things out. I use one when I only have 2 in the boat to even things out and when wake surfing I put 2 on the side we are surfing on...

STANG KILLA SS
08-18-2009, 04:26 PM
a buddie once told me this....

"The white side is the light side"

the catchy little rhyme has made it easy for me to remember.

Sled491
08-18-2009, 09:07 PM
a buddie once told me this....

"The white side is the light side"

the catchy little rhyme has made it easy for me to remember.

Very interesting.

GeauxTigers
08-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Not me most of the time I just use the center sack in my 21v...

One thing you might do is calibrate your speedometer and confirm you are riding the speed you think you are. Mine was 1-2 mph faster then actual speed.

I have picked up some of those fat bricks to even things out. I use one when I only have 2 in the boat to even things out and when wake surfing I put 2 on the side we are surfing on...

I calibrated mine with my GPS the other day. I was 3-4 mph off!! Yowza!