PDA

View Full Version : Brian Raymond

flatlander
08-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Please advise, it sounds like this is a common problem due to a few other posts but the conclusion was not clear.

I have an 03 outback with a indmar carburated 310hp motor which has been running very well until now. We were skiing, stopped to get the skier out went to restart and it would turn over briefly but not run. I tried several times and it would not run. Got towed in....

My neighbor came over with his volt meter and checked the starter and said it was fine. the battery seems fine as it has started it like 20 times since the incident. I tried starting in and it started. It had a hesitation when it started at the same point where it would not start previously. When I reved it it ran fine.

ignition? some other post was mentioning sensors but would it run later if it was sensors? temp was 180 like it usually is. air temp was ~80 degrees. timing? It has been a little tougher to start lately. Carburator? should I run some gumout through it?

Razzman
08-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Sounds like your carb. The first thing i would do is check the fuel filter. Have you ever changed it? How many hours are on it? It very well could be that you either need a rebuild or possibly a new carb.

zegm
08-12-2009, 11:33 PM
If it was running good and then started to act up it wouldn't be a carb going bad. That takes time! There have been several issues with vapor lock lately and with the ethanol gas I believe we have a problem here. I was speaking to an old chevy small block hot rodder and he said they used to put clothes pins on the metal fuel lines and that would be enough of a heat sink to keep the vapor lock issue out! I haven't had the problem myself but if and when I do I am going to find a way to fix it permanently without running my fan all the time or having to put ice on the fuel line or perform a ritual dance on the engine cover and hope that works. I believe Indmar needs to be looking into this problem!

kaneboats
08-13-2009, 09:35 AM
That's what I would do. Just like adding pennies to an xbox360 or and extra fan in your computer box.