PDA

View Full Version : Swivel Seat Project Completed

Razzman
08-11-2009, 11:56 PM
I finally got around to doing the swivel seat mods. I have to say it's so nice having this and i'll be water testing in a week! I picked up the locking swivel Bass Pro Shops sells and used some 5/16th thick aluminum plate that was a freebie. After much aluminum cutting, hole drilling and general fab here's the completed project.

Cut plates to proper size, drill holes for swivel, mounted swivel and finally attached to threaded inserts in seat base.

Razzman
08-11-2009, 11:59 PM
A few pics showing end results. Front of plate is mounted flat to tracks, rear elevated 3/4" to maintain level when swiveling.

Seat is centered with steering wheel, however i did have to move the seat plate over a bit as i'd mounted the assembly centered on the tracks. I also had to remove the safety lanyard and place a plastic spacer behind it as it was sticking out too far.

tazz3069
08-12-2009, 12:32 AM
Nice!!!! where did you get the aluminum plates?

Razzman
08-12-2009, 12:49 AM
My brother-in-law is the warehouse mgr for a large electronics firm. They make these to place boards on for production. When production ends they scrap 'em.

It actually had cnc raised bosses so i had to cut 'em off then grind/sand flush. What a pain that was! Then i had to cut it in two with a blasted tabletop table saw! But it was free so hey can't complain i guess. :p

jmvotto
08-12-2009, 06:50 AM
Razz, that looks aewsome. Let us know how it handles the water:)

Sharpie647
08-12-2009, 10:02 AM
When are you going to start production/sales so all of here can enjoy all of your hard work?

yearround
08-12-2009, 11:21 AM
When are you going to start production/sales so all of here can enjoy all of your hard work?

2nd sharpie! i will buy one from you!

kfechner
08-12-2009, 02:37 PM
That is amazing Razz....nice job!

Razzman
08-12-2009, 03:34 PM
I do have to give credit where credit is due. I copied elements or advise from both Newty's & Chillyx's installs. I just used different materials in my install as i was concerned about longevity & durability. Maybe a tad overkill but it works well.

gus 08 mobius lsv
08-12-2009, 04:09 PM
I do have to give credit where credit is due. I copied elements or advise from both Newty's & Chillyx's installs. I just used different materials in my install as i was concerned about longevity & durability. Maybe a tad overkill but it works well.

very nice work! do u still have the track function to slide the seat? and also does the swivel lock in the different positions? if it doesn't and you take a hard turn does it kick your seat around?

Razzman
08-12-2009, 04:44 PM
The seat still tracks forward and back. The assembly is placed on top of the existing sliding tracks so nothing changes. It is a locking 12 position swivel base of which 5 positions are useable. It has a motion range from zero (straight ahead) to around 110-115 degrees so that it points directly at the far port (left) corner/storage locker.

I also mounted the swivel with the swivel handle side attached to the seat plate so that the handle travels with the seat for ease of use. The handle faces forward under your left leg. However it's a bit of a reach under the bolster so i'm looking at extending the lever some. This i'll do over the winter more than likely.

brain_rinse
08-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Very nicely done. I wonder if you could find a swivel base that already has a top and bottom plate to eliminate some of the aluminum fabrication? If not, you should go into business.

jester
08-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Very nice. Now i have a good direction to do it myself.

newty
08-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Razz nice work! That angle works pretty well huh?
I found out too late that my swivel had the poly bushings, it wore out really quickly and the seat wobbled all over the place. I picked up an all metal one from west marine for about $22. Much more solid and no wobble.
I went without the swivel lock with some reservation, but I'm glad I did. Its nice to pull a rider out of the water the spin half way around once the boat planes out to watch. That and I like tho kick my feet up on the seat back of the observer seat on long cruises.
All in all nice work, and always an easy fix later.