PDA

View Full Version : 2003 outback, a few issues

flatlander
08-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Skiied in the morning for about an hour. Then after shutting the motor down (indmar caburated 310hp) it wuld turn over for a second o two and stop. It did this repeatedly. The temp was at 180 degrees (normal) when this happened.

I got towed back and later that day it started with some hesitation at the same point where it died previously but ran well once it started. I checked the starter and it is ok. Is it an ignition issue? Is my battery causing this even though it can start the boat repeatedly? Fuel line/filter/pump? I did not think this because it runs nornally once started even reving it. Plug wires, cap rotor?

Any advice?

Other stuff, what is the best platform pad? What is the best way to remove the old one?

When I fill my balast it fills the boat with water plus it did not drain previuosly.

What is the best impeller? ideally one with more longevity than 1yr.

My gelcoat has cracks around the base of the swim platform and a few other places. What is my best course of action?

Love the boat but want to get the issues fixed.

NCSUmoomba
08-12-2009, 08:47 AM
I'll take a stab at these...

1. Starting: Battery could be getting weak. How old is it? I killed one in less than 2 years.

2. Platform pad: I went the cheap route and put the foam workout pad squares. It works great and has held up for a couple of years so far. Everyone comments on how soft the platform is. To get the old one off, well that takes lots of scraping and some patience. I just gave up getting all of it off because I figured that if it was on there that good, that it would be an okay base for the new stuff.

3. Ballast: I don't understand what the problem is, can you clarify?

4. Impeller: It is not about the longevity of the impeller, you are supposed to change it every year according to the maintenance schedule. Would you rather replace a $30 part once a year, or a $3000 (or more) engine?

5. Gelcoat cracks: Not sure about this one. If you are the original owner, it might be a warranty issue. If not, I am not sure there is much you can do about it. It probably won't hurt anything anyway.

I hope this helps some.

flatlander
08-12-2009, 09:39 AM
I don't think it is the battery because the battery has been starting it many times since. a weak battery should not be able to do this?

Thanks

Anyone else know? Is there a Moomba person who comments on this stuff?

flatlander
08-12-2009, 11:49 AM
It is not the battery or the starter, I checked those out. The dealer suggested vapor lock. It was not hot out when this happened and it has not happened before so I don;t think this is the issue.

I have the carburated 310hp indmar which just turned 200hrs.

Peter