PDA

View Full Version : What a difference anew prop makes!

Laz
08-10-2009, 09:24 PM
I have a 2007 Outback. It came with the original 3-blade 13x13 OJ prop. I decided to get a backup prop. At the suggestion of this forum I bought a 13x12 ACME prop and installed it on the werkend.

These are the improvements I have noticed:
- the hole shot is about 50% better. I get up on one ski much faster.
- I had to recalibrate all the ski speeds for perfect pass because the boat is now running at obout 200 rpm slower for any given speed.
- the boat reaches ski speed faster which helps with short setup at the slalom course.
- the top speed at WOT has increased by 4mph to 48.
- the boat loses much less speed on tight turns.

I didn't expect this much improvement from just a prop change!

Mikey
08-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Wow i wish i had tryed that when i bought a spare Oj prop. Its still in the box unused ,maybe i should sell it half jokingly.

Sharpie647
08-11-2009, 10:48 AM
I figured that your top end speed with the new prop would of decreased by a few MPH?

Ian Brantford
08-11-2009, 11:04 AM
I figured that your top end speed with the new prop would of decreased by a few MPH?

If both props were of ideal design, yes, a lower pitch would lead to a slight loss of top speed. However, the older prop (despite being the factory default one) might have been poorly chosen and thus could have been slipping or cavitating a bit.

Laz
08-11-2009, 12:49 PM
I did not expect so much improvement, especially from both the bottom end and top end. Although the pitch is slightly less, the overall design must be quite a bit better. There is a lot more surface are with the new prop.

Razzman
09-09-2009, 11:46 AM
C'mon Ed you can say it ... A...Ac...Acme! Feels better huh?! LOL! :p

Seriously I've heard from many people that Acme's are better and will actually resolve some issues caused by the OJ's.

Jeff W
09-14-2009, 02:42 PM
I have a 2007 Outback. It came with the original 3-blade 13x13 OJ prop. I decided to get a backup prop. At the suggestion of this forum I bought a 13x12 ACME prop and installed it on the werkend.

- I had to recalibrate all the ski speeds for perfect pass because the boat is now running at obout 200 rpm slower for any given speed.
- the boat reaches ski speed faster which helps with short setup at the slalom course.

I just ordered this same prop. I'm looking forward to seeing how it does. I was recommended it by Acme for running between 1-2k of ballast. Glad it worked out well for you, I will report back on mine in a few weeks when my boat is done.

viking
09-14-2009, 05:34 PM

Doesn't alot of it have to do with what altitude your running at too? I have the same boat (07 outback DD) and has the factory 3 blade. If altitude doesn't matter - I might buy the same prop if that much improvement. Billings MT is about 3400 feet above see level? Anybody have any input?

Mikey
09-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Alttitude is part of the equation in choosing a, prop. We are at 3500ft and props are and were selected by the dealer for this situation. Toronto is sea level so is this a fair comparrison?

Mikey
09-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Toronto is closer too sea level i meant to say.

Laz
02-06-2010, 11:40 AM
I not sure it's clear. My ACME prop is a 3-blade.

ejojprop
02-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Doesn't alot of it have to do with what altitude your running at too? I have the same boat (07 outback DD) and has the factory 3 blade. If altitude doesn't matter - I might buy the same prop if that much improvement. Billings MT is about 3400 feet above see level? Anybody have any input?

What is the max RPM you see with the stock 13 X 13? If you are on the low side of redline I would suggest a 13 X 11 XMP. For the record, the old style 13 X 13 is smaller in diameter and less pitch than 13, the numbers were rounded up to keep things simple.

viking
02-10-2010, 12:36 AM
Eric,
Thanks for the reply. My OJ 3-blade performs wonderful. She would redline if I would let her. I don't go much over 4500RPM and at 4800 it's runing about 34MPH and would still have more If I kept it going. Good out of the hole too!

I just have an older opposite turn prop. that I figured I'd trade for a 2nd prop. for my boat. Looking for a good alternative (or primary)? Mainly ski right now but looking to wakeboard more and surf every now and then :)

ejojprop
02-10-2010, 07:20 AM
Eric,
Thanks for the reply. My OJ 3-blade performs wonderful. She would redline if I would let her. I don't go much over 4500RPM and at 4800 it's runing about 34MPH and would still have more If I kept it going. Good out of the hole too!

I just have an older opposite turn prop. that I figured I'd trade for a 2nd prop. for my boat. Looking for a good alternative (or primary)? Mainly ski right now but looking to wakeboard more and surf every now and then :)

If you get a chance give me a call to talk about the numbers.

Eric - 800-359-9730

ejojprop
02-10-2010, 07:21 AM
Eric,

I believe I spoke to you last summer and then ordered a 13 x 13 4-blade to replace our stock Moomba 13 x 11.5 3-blade. Well the difference was huge and positive. The boat quit vibrating as much (wasn't like a bent blade just a little annoyance type vibration) at lower to mid RPMs so it is a smoother and quieter in the boat. The top speed is now close to 45-47mph or more! And it still pulls out of the hole just fine when me or my wife are on our slalom skis! And the surprising thing we discovered was, our gas mileage is much better!!!! In other words we LOVE IT! Thanks!!!!

You are welcome. Thank you for choosing our propellers.

Eric

kaneboats
02-10-2010, 11:49 AM
The top speed is now close to 45-47mph or more!

Sounds like you may be able to keep up now.