PDA

View Full Version : help to remove scratches

gus 08 mobius lsv
08-10-2009, 09:22 AM
ok i've read some of the post on what u guys used to get rid of scratches but i got a red boat and you can still see them. they are deep and only the one u can touch and feel it the rest are very light. anyone with a red boat or black or any other color that really shows a blemish give me any help as to what to do or use to get rid of them?

sandm
08-10-2009, 09:30 AM
awaiting answer as well. I have orange and it's horrible for the couple scratches I have...

Form&Function
08-10-2009, 09:35 AM
If its gone through the color into the fiberglass you have to repaint it otherwise it has to be sanded out then buffed.

jmvotto
08-10-2009, 10:18 AM
try this site this is what my dealer uses for gel coalt patch kits and paint.
i bought some for some dings and have not gotten to that project yet.

http://www.spectrumcolor.com/catalog.htm

Razzman
08-10-2009, 10:29 AM
It all depends how bad they are. I use a buffer and Meguiars Swirl Remover for the lighter ones. For the Heavy scratches you might have to use something like 3M Diamond Cut 2.0 and then move to the swirl remover. Finish off with a good coat of marine wax.

gus 08 mobius lsv
08-10-2009, 10:34 AM
my neighbor buys salvage vehicles fixes and paints then sells them and they all look great i talked to him about doing some work to it but he wanted me to find out if boat paint is different cause the color is actually in the fiberglass and with the gel coat is it the same process as a clear coat on cars or completely different? i love the red but damn it shows every little blemish!

thanks for all advise.

Razzman
08-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Try a black boat! My last boat was red and what i'd give for red again! Gelcoat is not much different than auto paint to buff, just be careful of buffing to much in one spot or you can actually cause depressions in the gel.

mmandley
08-10-2009, 02:10 PM
my neighbor buys salvage vehicles fixes and paints then sells them and they all look great i talked to him about doing some work to it but he wanted me to find out if boat paint is different cause the color is actually in the fiberglass and with the gel coat is it the same process as a clear coat on cars or completely different? i love the red but damn it shows every little blemish!

thanks for all advise.

I use McGuire's Oxidation remover. It has a very slight grittiness to it. I have removed some pretty nasty looking scratches.

On my tan the scratch was white and on my white it was a very dull color.

Just appy it and rub it in realy briskly by hand. Wipe it off. Then re wax with your normal boat wax. Sometimes it takes several attempts to get it all out because this is a very mild compound. You cant hurt your boat with this.

As for color of your boat to pain on a car. COMPLETELY different. Do not use a car compound on a boat. That stuff is way to harsh and will start to remove the gell coat. Only use a Marine, fiberglass approved compound on your boat.

brain_rinse
08-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Gelcoat is thick and the color goes all the way through, so even a lot of deep scratches can be wetsanded and polished out by someone that knows what they are doing. To give you a comparison, automotive clearcoat is only about 2 mils, where gelcoat is 20 mils.

mustangairchair
08-13-2009, 12:19 AM
i wet sand them with 1500 grit and a mixture of dish soap and water till it is good when dry and then polish the shit out of it can't see any marks.