PDA

View Full Version : More HP for Future Models

Hoopskier
08-09-2009, 06:56 PM
So.. When will SC make a more powerful engine available? My 320 HP is ok but i always have a desire for more. Being that Indmar is the engine supplier for Malibu and Mastercraft also, there is a 383 CID 400 HP engine for them. Why not for moomba/supra? I don't know who supplies for Nautique but they have a 409 HP. All available for 19-20' boats. I know the higher horsepower engines are not the normal run but just the option would be great. I sure would love to get my hands on a 400 hp Outback DD.

moombadaze
08-09-2009, 07:30 PM
So.. When will SC make a more powerful engine available?

Allready have it

" our brand new 6.0L 409HP Indmar engine both standard with catalytic converters and the sport of wakesurfing becomes even more enjoyable. The catalytic converter cleans up 99.7% of harmful CO2 emissions. That’s a smarter way to enjoy the fastest growing sport on water. "

Think its only for the lsv and xlv

Hoopskier
08-09-2009, 07:34 PM
I should have specified then. For direct drive models or outback V

Razzman
08-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Probably won't happen as an inboard tournement boat really doesn't need it. especially in the 20' class where a 340hp engine is more than enough, afterall they're not hot boats nor ever meant to be. Why the other guys do is beyond me as in all seriousness the bigger motors really don't do much more unless the boat is real heavy and even then they have to reporop them to accomodate. I have a buddy with a Malibu and the 383 and it isn't any different feeeling to me than mine.

deafgoose
08-10-2009, 12:15 AM
Why do you need more power?

Sounds to me like you need a prop upgrade. The stock prop on the outback v is crap. Upgrade to the 14x14.25 and hold on!

Hoopskier
08-10-2009, 12:38 AM
I know that they are not race boats. I have yet to get a GPS out on mine. I would think a few more horsepower would give the boat a little bit better top end for barefooting, looking to get upper 40's to the 50 mark. I know my OB DD is running its best. It is at the top end of the RPM range with my current prop. If I went to a steeper prop i think it would be to much load for the engine and not gain any speed, probably make it worse.

Just tossing an idea out there. Going out skiing tomorrow, enjoying what i got.

Razzman
08-10-2009, 12:48 AM
I have another buddy with a '98 Nautique Super Sport (vdrive) with the Ford GT-40 Boss motor. This thing screams and literally tops out at around 55mph! I've driven it and it's a gas to drive, BUT it doesn't have much low end pull. He complains about it and i tell him to reprop but his answer is i'll loose topend. Oh well, how much do you really need it? :confused:

wolfeman131
08-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Allready have it

Think its only for the lsv and xlv

The '09 boat builder shows the 6.0l, 409 hp as an option for the LSV, too!

Didn't see it as an option for the Outback or Outback V.

zegm
08-10-2009, 09:26 PM
back in the day you could get one of 2 types of mastercrafts, they were both named "Barefooter" I am pretty sure of, I could be wrong so any old timers let me know. One was a MasterCraft with a 225hp Mercury Outboard and the other was a Mastercraft with a 454 cubic inche Chevy big block. So Mastercraft has tried to design to that market.

I think I would like to see someone covert their Boomerang to a 225hp E-Tec Evinrude and you will probably see over 60mph if you want to barefoot that fast!!!!

I love 2 strokes!!!!!! :shock:

Mikey
08-10-2009, 11:19 PM
I just came from watching the World waterski championships,using Nuatique 196 6ltr 409 hp motors and i for one wouldn't mind the bigger motor. Watching them yard the pros including my favorite Pro Chris Parish out of the water i know my boat doesn't have the same pop as they do.
I realize my technique is far from theres but i couln't believe how quick they all were getting out and up to 36mph. I didn't get to see what props they were using but i imagine a ski rated prop to tournament standards for sure,
I'm more than happy with my Outback DD with the 13x 11 prop but 42,43 and then i'm done top end as well.I run 325hp but a 409 bad boy would definetely be fun.

Hoopskier
08-11-2009, 01:13 AM
back in the day you could get one of 2 types of mastercrafts, they were both named "Barefooter" I am pretty sure of, I could be wrong so any old timers let me know. One was a MasterCraft with a 225hp Mercury Outboard and the other was a Mastercraft with a 454 cubic inche Chevy big block. So Mastercraft has tried to design to that market.

I think I would like to see someone covert their Boomerang to a 225hp E-Tec Evinrude and you will probably see over 60mph if you want to barefoot that fast!!!!

I love 2 strokes!!!!!! :shock:

I know there are some great used outboard barefoot boats. I have skied behind some and the wakes were great for what they were designed for. Some of the others with outboards- Mastercraft Barefoot 200, Malibu flightcraft, Ski brendella- most had 200 hp and top ends around 55-60. I read somewhere that the Malibu flightcraft could achieve 70 with that hull but would start lacking holeshot.

I had barefooted behing my 05 Seadoo RXT. Had great top end-68 no skiers of course. but barefooting at 45+ was nice with throttle to spare. Lack of interior room was the problem there!

I'd think a few more ponies for those who want and are willing to pay for would be nice. Might give a few more mph on the top end and still be a versital boat. Just dreaming of that perfect do everthing boat.

:rolleyes: ...wakeboard...ski....barefoot...

zegm
08-12-2009, 10:35 PM
I am not a Marine Hull designer but I have to think there are limitations to the inboard layout that hinders it at higher speeds. The most you ever hear one running is about 50mph and you have to admit a 325hp outboard at 21 feet long would probably do over 90mph! I had an old MasterCraft that weighed nothing and I was NEVER beat out of the hole but again at 48mph she signed off. The LS we have is fast but that old boat was faster!