PDA

View Full Version : Changing the impeller

Eric Z
08-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Has anyone done this at home? How hard is it? How long does it take? Where do I get started? I don't even know where it is located. If someone has pics of where and how I would really appreciate it. I am sure it is about time to do mine....Please help.

Waynes345
08-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Relatively easy one or two beer job on a DD. The hardest part is usually prying the old one out. I don't know about a V drive but heard it's a little tougher to get to. Maybe two to three beers. Search the service thread as there are some very good threads about replacement. I take mine out when I winterize and put a new one in when time to get going again.

Eric Z
08-09-2009, 08:53 PM
It is a v-drive. Where is it located?

Wake Master
08-09-2009, 09:41 PM
It is located at the front of the engine (rear of the boat) it is mounted in front of the crankshaft. First purchase a new impeller and gasket. Remove the three screws on the front cover. Turn the key and bump the engine a couple of times with out starting. You can use 2 small screwdrivers to pry out the old impeller. Clean off the old gasket and install the new impeller. Make sure you install the new impeller with the fins in the same direction as the old impeller.

Brian Raymond
08-09-2009, 10:41 PM
04-21-2009, 02:51 AM
Brian Raymond
Administrator Join Date: Aug 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have found this to be the best way for me to remove impellers from direct drives and V drives. First-tools neded; (2) paint can openers, 5/16" wrench or socket set-up, Fantastik spray cleaner. First, disengage spark and fuel (unplug coil wire from dist. and pos. fuel pump wire on carb. models, unplug fuel pump and ign. control module wires on fuel inj. models). Remove faceplate from raw water pump (4-5/16" hex screws), spray Fantastik cleaner into the housing and "bump the motor over a few times. Insert the paint can openers @ the 1 and 7 o'clock position and pry it out. Once out, inspect the blades to be sure that they are all there. If some are missing, be sure to remove hoses before and after the pump to retrieve the missing blades to ensure no future overheating issues. The impeller is on a splined shaft, so when reinstalling, insert and turn in a clockwise motion until seated. when seated, push the rest of the way in with the palm of your hand until flush with the face, install new gasket (fat side of gasket to odd cyl. side of motor), insert screws and hand tighten. To finish the job, use your 5/16" tool and tighten every other screw until tight. Hope this helps. It is much easier than it sounds. DD models should take 5 min., V deives- maybe 10. Brian Raymond

wolfeman131
12-04-2009, 12:51 PM
OK, I know that I could save myself some big $$ by winterizing my boat myself, but my work schedule always gets crazy this time of year and I find it worthwhile to pay to have the service done. I also appreciate the peace of mind that it's (probably) been done right.

We just wrapped up season 2 with the boat and are just under 100 hrs. Have been extremely pleased with my dealership from Day 1, but just got a shock when they emailed the invoice for the service performed yesterday.

I'm OK with $200 for an antifreeze flush winterization. Looks reasonable compared to what others have posted. I'm OK with $280 for the Oil & Filter change, new fuel filter, replacement of v-drive and transmisison fluid.

But $185 to replace the impeller?!?! Shop labor of 1.10 hrs?!?!

I sent an email to the Service Manager that includes Brian's quote above of "maybe 10" minutes and asked why such a difference. I'll let you know what kind of response I get and if my boat will ever go back there again.

moombadaze
12-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Drew, Its really not to hard to do on your boat. Im sure you could have the whole process(fluids, impeller...) done in a afternoon.

Prices suck by the way, just priced the impeller at my local dealer about $45, went to the local mastercraft dealer and was $52.-same part. Will be internet ordering from skidim for $33. then i get the pleasure of doing it myself with the stereo jammin, neighbors love me when im working on the boat.

wolfeman131
12-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Daze,

I wish I had an afternoon to do it! Cab's manual is fantastic and I'm pretty confident I could pull it off. However, every time the temps fell below 32 degrees, I'm sure my wife would give me that "I hope you did that right look & speech." Spending the $$ is WAY worth avoiding that!

Part price was close to yours @ $47 and I'm OK with that. It's the $126 in labor that I think is BS!

jester
12-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Does anyone know the part number for the Impeller of a 08 OBV?

wolfeman131
12-04-2009, 07:19 PM
OK, just got back from the dealership and my foot needs to be removed from my mouth!

First, props to Atlanta Marine. Kurt & Heidi were great. They called me and walked me through the entire process and procedure that they go through to change out the impeller which includes a run test to insure that the gasket sealed/seated properly and there are no leaks, issues, concerns, etc. This is great as they are 2 hrs from the lake house. They also showed me what all they have to take apart to get to the impeller & then put back on a v-drive configuration. In other words, I now get the labor hours involved.

They also called SC to confirm the "standard" hours for the job to make sure their techs weren't off and even called the Malibu dealer to check what they charge for this service. Atlanta Marine was under the standard SC hours and below the 'bu dealer.

Just a bit of sticker shock when I saw the bottom line, but I think the total was around what mmandley had posted before for the 100 hr service which is really what I had done.

So, I feel much better than I did before my initial post and me & my Moomba will be back to Atlanta Marine, no questions asked! :)

moombadaze
12-04-2009, 07:57 PM
[quote=wolfeman131;80769] I'm sure my wife would give me that "I hope you did that right look & speech." Spending the $$ is WAY worth avoiding that!

quote]

oh boy do I hear you on that one :D

kaneboats
12-05-2009, 02:35 AM
My wife would kill me if I spent her shoe money at the dealer.

deerfield
12-05-2009, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE=Ed G;80806]Did you guys know that Skiers Choice has a forum just for dealers and they all talk about us?[QUOTE]

Does it need a moderator?

smokedog2
12-05-2009, 10:04 AM
A place for dealers to talk about us!

They better hope they don't end up like the Climate Research Unit and their global warming blue dress moment.

Hunting has been going well but I'm about ready for summer and the snow is not here yet ( ist is 20 deg F outside).

Guess I should still be in Houston.

SD2

moombadaze
12-05-2009, 10:10 AM
LOL!

I wish they did need moderators. I'd love to be able to get in there and see the discussions.

I know way back, when my dealer (Watersprorts of Central Florida) 1st agreed to sponsor the Moomba Jamboree, the other dealers gave him hell on those forums.

They were complaining (and I once again paraphrase):

"what the hell are you doing?? Now everybody on those Moomba forums are gonna expect other dealers to sponsor a jamboree too".

It would be interesting to say the least on what they say about "us".

All dealers should put on a jamboree once a year! Bet it brings in business.

superfet
12-06-2009, 02:00 PM
[QUOTE=jester;80778]Does anyone know the part number for the Impeller of a 08 O
Johnson Impeller part nr: 812B

moombadaze
12-06-2009, 04:34 PM
[quote=Ed G;80827
Bet it doesn't , and I bet that all dealers can't afford to put on a jamboree once a year.

quote]

You could be very correct with that, drove past my dealer today and strangely all the boats on the lot are used. Moombas and Rangers are all gone.

cab13367
12-06-2009, 05:49 PM
[QUOTE=jester;80778]Does anyone know the part number for the Impeller of a 08 O
Johnson Impeller part nr: 812B

Should be part # 09-812B-1.

kaneboats
12-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Daze, I think your dealer is selling old stock from the wakeboard shop on ebay too.

Brian Raymond
12-08-2009, 05:21 PM
For a little clarification to my original post: The procedure and the time I quoted are for the actual removal of the impeller. On a direct drive everything is right where you can see it and pretty straight forward. The V drives are a little more challenging, one it can get a little hairy getting to the raw water pump and second you are working upside down and blind. Some models may require you to remove the muffler. The side panels definitely need to be lowered or removed. Make sure you test for leaks when you are done. From a dealer’s perspective, most of them will charge 1-2 hours labor depending on the boat, plus approximately $50 for the impeller and another $3 for the gasket.

moombadaze
12-08-2009, 08:58 PM
After doing my 03 lsv I think its worth a hour or two. Very tight fit and just plain hard to get to if your arms dont bend backwards.