PDA

View Full Version : That Boat Feeling

skiyaker
08-07-2009, 08:52 PM
I'm wondering- what is it that's so great about just being out on a boat?

I just returned from a few great days on Wawasee. Didn't take the Moomba as I got edged out of pier space by a Tige Z1, Malibu lsv, 2 sea doos and a pontoon. Man I had a great time just getting up, going out on a boat and having fun. When I start to think about the cost involved in boating- the gas, maintenance, etc... all I have to do is go out on a boat and be reminded of that feeling that I get nowhere else- total relaxation, freedom, not a care in the world. I still can't exactly put it into words, but man is it great.

mmandley
08-08-2009, 12:44 AM
I'm wondering- what is it that's so great about just being out on a boat?

I just returned from a few great days on Wawasee. Didn't take the Moomba as I got edged out of pier space by a Tige Z1, Malibu lsv, 2 sea doos and a pontoon. Man I had a great time just getting up, going out on a boat and having fun. When I start to think about the cost involved in boating- the gas, maintenance, etc... all I have to do is go out on a boat and be reminded of that feeling that I get nowhere else- total relaxation, freedom, not a care in the world. I still can't exactly put it into words, but man is it great.

I am with ya here man. I dont care how tired i am how bad a day i have had or even how good it is, when i drop that boat in the water and get out in the open i just feel better. I can sit there floating and relaxing all day and nothing compares.

I think part of it is so few people have boats it seems compared to the general population and you just feel a little more speacial out there. Plus the types of boats we have they just feel real nice to sit in.

kaneboats
08-08-2009, 01:26 AM
We used to hang out on an island. Nobody could really get there if they didn't have a boat. So it was like a private club but everybody was welcome. . . if you had a boat.

I also remember being a kid and my parents were so happy and content just to be on the water. The feeling was contagious. It's home.

tazz3069
08-08-2009, 04:01 PM
After the crap that I had to deal with at work this week, I am very happy that I will be on the water on Sunday. I want to go out, look at the water, and sit in my boat. Its like a mini vacation for me. Plus I need to test the new ballast system. I had bad luck when I sent on vacation. Now that I modified it a little, I hope it works.

moombadaze
08-08-2009, 07:55 PM
total relaxation, freedom, not a care in the world.

those words pretty much nail it.

Mikey
08-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Being out in the boat is MY HAPPY PLACE ,how about you?

mikerudamann
08-22-2009, 10:32 PM
On the water is surely a "Happy Place". All we did was cruise the lake today. Didn't even break my ski out. It was a good day.

BensonWdby
08-23-2009, 11:07 AM
I agree.

I think it is the 'wind in the hair' effect. Similar to riding a motorcycle I suspect. It also explains the desire to go full throttle whever you go. That probably also ties into the 'no boundaries' effect. No speed limits (in most lakes), no lines to stay between, no one to pass, not stop signs, no worries about police and speed traps, good visibility in all directions, the rumble of the inboard, and a lot less idiots to deal with (but we all know they are out there).

And when you are floating, you have the gentle rocking of the boat like being in your moms arms as an infant, normally the sun beating down on you, or the cool shade under a bimini. The freedom to move about the cabin, and yet at the same time the relative closeness of friends and family. Or maybe the total motionless in the dead calm - leading to the feeling that there is no place else you have to be right now....

Well - it could be those things, but maybe that's just me ...

Dave