PDA

View Full Version : Starter Troubles

Reese350
08-06-2009, 09:03 PM
The starter on our 06 LSV seems to be on the fritz. Occasionally, when you turn the key over it clicks but won't turn over. Usually if you try it 2-3 times, it will finally turn over and all is well. Today, however was a different story. No matter what we tried, it would only click and never turn over. I changed the battery thinking that maybe it was something with the batter buy no luck. Finally, I tapped on the starter with a wrench and it started right up and we made it through the day.

Anyone had a similar experience? Should I replace it immediately or limp through the rest of the season and have it rebuilt over the winter? It looks like a new one is $250 and I could probably figure out how to install it. The boat has 140 hrs on it and I'm a bit surprised it is failing already.

Any thoughts out there?

mmandley
08-07-2009, 12:42 AM
Sounds like the solinoid is going bad. Some starters allow you to replace only the solinoid. Its the small round looking motor on the side of the starter. Generaly the smaller wires are connected to it.

You can see if you can replace only that portion. If not the whole thing needs to be replaced.

You could limp it threw but remember the hotter the engine the hotter the starter and when the starter gets hot it will tend to fail more often then when its cold.

moombadaze
08-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Scott, sounds like the starter is on its way out on you. Dont get one from a auto parts store--it needs to be a marine starter, they have spark arrestors in them. But i am suprised its going out at 140 hrs and only 4yrs old. I also wouldnt wait as that could ruin a day if your allready out and it craps completly out.

2 bolts hold it in place and should be very easy to swap out, just disconect the battery first. oh and its heavier than it looks so when the last bolt is fully loose be ready to hold it.

good luck

Reese350
08-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks guys. I'm going to start calling local dealers and try to pick one up. Better safe than sorry!

Scott

james
08-11-2009, 12:27 PM
I had the same issue with mine. I had mine rebuilt for $130. I pulled it off and took it into the the shop, it is pretty easy to pull from the motor, just make sure you mark the wires. Found that when i pulled it off a bunch of rust and gunk was in the starter. found out the solenoid was almost as much as a rebuild, if that helps any.