PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump whine

lsgagnon
08-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Few day ago we noticed a high pitch whine from the engin (like the blower, but louder and higher). Find out the it cames from the hp fuel pump (electric one). The motor was running great, good hole shot and full speed...

I call the dealer (3h away), very helpfull and suggest those:
- the pump is dying (at 40 hrs...not likely)
- the pump is not getting enough fuel (mecanic pump dead or crush fuel hose or fuel filter clogged).

So I check all the fuel hose to be sure they aren't crush/crooked, ending in changing the in line filter fuel (around 10$) and everything is ok! The manual said it must be change at 50h...

I use Stabile once in a while, run the boat every week (almost every weekend). Don't know what could have clog.

Hope it can help if it happend to you.

mmandley
08-07-2009, 12:49 AM
Its not unherd of to have a bad fuel pump after only 40 hours. Several people have had to replace brand new ones. I wouldnt rule it out of your thinking so fast.

deepcove
08-07-2009, 01:41 AM
I had a whining fuel pump and it was due to it being starved of fuel. After changing the inline filter the wine was still present. You need to remove the pump and remove & clean the screen on the incoming and. You can dig it our carefully with a small flat head screw driver after removing the pump ( it is the black plastic ring looking thing and once removed looks like a thimble). To remove the pump first disconnect the incoming and out going fuel lines and then remove the 2 hex screws holding the filter into place. Finally you can either remove the positive and negative wires on the pump or leave them in place and unplug the harness they connect too.

I have actually had to do this 3 times within 700 hrs, for some reson the inline filter does not trap averything!

I would be curios to know if this solves your whine.

lsgagnon
08-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Its not unherd of to have a bad fuel pump after only 40 hours. Several people have had to replace brand new ones. I wouldnt rule it out of your thinking so fast.

So far so good. Everything run well since I change the filter.