PDA

View Full Version : Starbrite Hull Cleaner 1, Moomba 0

Jeff W
08-04-2009, 11:14 PM
We had our Outback moored for 4 weeks. Only pulled it out once and gave it a bath but didn't use a hull cleaner.

Tonight, the wife and I Starbrite'd that bitch. Worked great. We got the first layer of scum off the side of the boat. We fully intend to have another round and she is pretty greeny and mossy.

Couple questions. Do you guys do the underside of the boat? Below that hull line? If so, do you use a sprayer to get it down there? I don't know how comfortable I'd feel laying underneath the boat with acid dripping all over me :) Should I get a sprayer and coat the bottom that way?

Also, please excuse my ignorance on this subject. When I am waxing the boat again - do I really just LEAVE the bottom of the boat? I've asked on other forums but I'm still in shock that people just simply LEAVE the bottom of the boat unwaxed. Is my wax really just there to keep hard water spots and scum off the side of the boat? What about the bottom? Also, a question I keep thinking about is regarding the hull that is underneath the bunks on my trailer. How in the heck does that area EVER get clean? I can't get it with hull cleaner, I can't wax it, etc. Without access to a hoist/lift do you ever REALLY get that part of the baot cleaned? Does anyone put their boat on the trailer crooked both ways so that they can clean those areas?

Tell me about all of this. I've never had this issue before as I've only had a boat that wasnt moored and had a roller trailer which I could move the boat round on easily.

Thanks!

AaronWhitt82
08-05-2009, 05:57 AM
We had our Outback moored for 4 weeks. Only pulled it out once and gave it a bath but didn't use a hull cleaner.

Tonight, the wife and I Starbrite'd that bitch. Worked great. We got the first layer of scum off the side of the boat. We fully intend to have another round and she is pretty greeny and mossy.

Couple questions. Do you guys do the underside of the boat? Below that hull line? If so, do you use a sprayer to get it down there? I don't know how comfortable I'd feel laying underneath the boat with acid dripping all over me :) Should I get a sprayer and coat the bottom that way?

Also, please excuse my ignorance on this subject. When I am waxing the boat again - do I really just LEAVE the bottom of the boat? I've asked on other forums but I'm still in shock that people just simply LEAVE the bottom of the boat unwaxed. Is my wax really just there to keep hard water spots and scum off the side of the boat? What about the bottom? Also, a question I keep thinking about is regarding the hull that is underneath the bunks on my trailer. How in the heck does that area EVER get clean? I can't get it with hull cleaner, I can't wax it, etc. Without access to a hoist/lift do you ever REALLY get that part of the baot cleaned? Does anyone put their boat on the trailer crooked both ways so that they can clean those areas?

Tell me about all of this. I've never had this issue before as I've only had a boat that wasnt moored and had a roller trailer which I could move the boat round on easily.

Thanks!

Jeff -
I'd definately get all the scum off the bottom. You don't want to leave that stuff on there.
I would go pick up a sprayer that is chemical resistant of some sort. Any kind of toliet bowl cleaner or muratic acid mixed with water will work really well to also take the scum off, but make sure to use some kind of gloves and try not to do it on a windy day because that stuff is pretty nasty.
When I wax my boat I ALWAYS wax the bottom as best as I can and if I were you I'd put a coat on... You won't regret it years down the road.
I'm also very anal about keeping my boat clean and waxed too.
As far as waxing where the bunks are I've never been able to wax/clean that part. The only way to do it would be to jack the boat up off the trailer or as you said by using a hoist. I'm not too worried about it just as long and I can wax everything else under there.
Hope this helps !!!

Jeff W
08-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Jeff -
I'd definately get all the scum off the bottom. You don't want to leave that stuff on there.
I would go pick up a sprayer that is chemical resistant of some sort. Any kind of toliet bowl cleaner or muratic acid mixed with water will work really well to also take the scum off, but make sure to use some kind of gloves and try not to do it on a windy day because that stuff is pretty nasty.
When I wax my boat I ALWAYS wax the bottom as best as I can and if I were you I'd put a coat on... You won't regret it years down the road.
I'm also very anal about keeping my boat clean and waxed too.
As far as waxing where the bunks are I've never been able to wax/clean that part. The only way to do it would be to jack the boat up off the trailer or as you said by using a hoist. I'm not too worried about it just as long and I can wax everything else under there.
Hope this helps !!!

I'm picking up a sprayer for the underside tonight. I've got the rest of the boat looking great. I'll wax the entire boat as best as I can on the trailer while it's out of the water and I'll get underneath the boat when it's cranked way up on the lift next week.

Thanks for the tips.

ian ashton
08-05-2009, 01:20 PM
I don't use any chemical cleaners on my boat, and I leave it in the water generally 1-2 months at a time or more. What I do when we pull it out is give it an immediate wash with Meguiars Gel boat wash. I do this to get the irony water off the boat, and as much of the scum as I can. Then I take it to the quarter car was and really give it a good scrub down with the pressure washer and scrub brush. After that I spray the whole boat down with white vinegar - this gets a lot of the remaining water spots, old wax, and other crap off the boat. From there, I use Meguiars Cleaner Wax on the boat from the water line down, including the bottom of the boat. The cleaner wax really cuts out the grime and junk, and makes it sparkle like new. After that I put a coat or 2 of reqular Meguiars marine wax on the whole boat. I also frequently will use Meguiars Quick Wax spray on the above waterline gel coat, while at the sandbar or wherever.

Quite a process, but after a year and a half and 160+ hours she still looks like new :)

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3278&stc=1&d=1249492625

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3279&stc=1&d=1249492635

ian ashton
08-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Man, that swim platform pad looks rough! I can't wait until SeaDek comes out with the 3 color pads so I can replace mine!

Jeff W
08-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Man, that swim platform pad looks rough! I can't wait until SeaDek comes out with the 3 color pads so I can replace mine!

I was going to comment on it. My SeaDek is going on Saturday morning ;)

mmandley
08-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Ian good system of cleaning bro.

I haven't done the vinegar thing yet i hear yall talking about about it. I am noticing some water spots now from splashed on the upper section of the boat. Would i just wipe this one with a towel and let it dry as i go? DO i rewash the boat when done?

I assume it takes the wax off so i need to rewax right after correct?

Im looking to get the water spots off simple and easy without getting the orbital buffer and compound out.

scoot_gt
08-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Im looking to get the water spots off simple and easy without getting the orbital buffer and compound out.

http://www.babesboats.com/prodSpotSolver.php

Smells nicer than vinegar ;)

mmandley
08-05-2009, 05:41 PM
http://www.babesboats.com/prodSpotSolver.php

Smells nicer than vinegar ;)

Nice. Actually the local old school guy here started carrying Babes. I saw a cardboard sign in his window when i drove by lol.

Harvey's Marine on TV Highway for your Portland peeps.

danimal365
08-05-2009, 06:19 PM
I just wiped the boat down with 50/50 mix of distilled white vineger and water. It's unreal how well it works for the $.

jjolson
08-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Ducky takes the water spots off. I think it also takes the wax off too as do most any spot removers.

http://www.duckyproducts.com/

ian ashton
08-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Yes, vinegar definately removes the wax, so make sure you re-apply. The water in our lake is really hard, so the boat always gets spots, even though I wipe it down after every drive (some call me obsessive, lol.)

To use the vinegar solution I put it in a spray bottle, and start spraying from the back to the front of one side. Once I get to the front I walk back to the rear, and start wiping. No scrubbing required, just wipe it all down. The vinegar will need to sit for a minute to work, which is why I spray the whole side. By the time I wipe it down its perfect. Maybe I'm weird (ok, I'm definately weird) but I like the smell of vinegar aslo.

Extra Tip: Its funny to spray your buddies, especially if your at the sand bar and they are working the ladies.

NCSUmoomba
08-06-2009, 12:22 PM
I used the Starbrite Hull Cleaner on my boat once, and where it dripped down onto the trailer, it bleached it. Kind of bummed about that.

Sled491
08-06-2009, 06:04 PM
One word "Babes", the stuff is awsum. Get the whole Bucket O Babes. Has everything, even boot butter.

Also yeah that hull cleaner will eventualy discolor your trailer so be careful.

I have my boat lifted off the trailer when I bring it home from the lake every fall. For about120.00 the lift it and give the hull 2 coats of wax. Put her away clean and you can start boating early the next year:)