PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with electrical problem

mac013
08-04-2009, 10:08 PM
So I got out on the water first thing in the morning on Sunday after running the boat all day Saturday. I turned on the blower, waited, turned on the key and nothing. Absolutly nothing. I checked all of the accessories and everything in the boat was working. I hooked up a volt meter and both batteries were good. So, in the end I found that the red power wire running to the fuse for the key had no power. I was able to pull the red power wire from the 12V Plug right next to it which I put into the key fuse. VOILA everything worked great. (Except no 12V power source)
Can anyone tell me why I lost power to the key switch and second is there a fuse for that wire somewhere?
The wires all run into a sleeve which I can't open so I don't imagine there is an inline fuse. Plus I checked the 6 fuses under the helm and they seem fine. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

tazz3069
08-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Check the circuit breaker. It is the black box with a red button on it. There is a little lever at the base that pops out. If this lever is poped out, all power will be off. Push this little lever back in to restore the power. I hope this helps. This circuit breaker should be located by the batteries. I'll try to take a picture if you can not find it.

mac013
08-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Check the circuit breaker. It is the black box with a red button on it. There is a little lever at the base that pops out. If this lever is poped out, all power will be off. Push this little lever back in to restore the power. I hope this helps. This circuit breaker should be located by the batteries. I'll try to take a picture if you can not find it.

Thanks for the help. I tried that. The circuit breaker cuts off all power. I only lost power to the key. Everything else works fine. I tried to reset it again but still no power to that wire.

tazz3069
08-04-2009, 10:48 PM
How about the little push button reset button right next to the key hole. Try that. So let me get this straight. All power works except the key. Right. So it might either be the push button reset button or the key (ignition) itself. Power comes in to the circuit breaker (push button) then goes to the ignition (key) If the push button thing does not work, try to disconnect the power from the circuit breaker and wire it straight to the ignition. See if that works

mac013
08-05-2009, 01:05 PM
How about the little push button reset button right next to the key hole. Try that. So let me get this straight. All power works except the key. Right. So it might either be the push button reset button or the key (ignition) itself. Power comes in to the circuit breaker (push button) then goes to the ignition (key) If the push button thing does not work, try to disconnect the power from the circuit breaker and wire it straight to the ignition. See if that works

I thought that it could be the push button reset button that was fried too. The problem is that I have no power to the circuit breaker. I pulled the power wire from the 12V power source next to the key and plugged that into the circuit breaker. Everything now works except no 12V power supply. I'd like to put things back the way they were. I have no power coming from the red power wire that is supposed to run into the circuit breaker for the ignition. Hopefully someone can tell me why only that wire has no power?

mmandley
08-05-2009, 05:27 PM
I thought that it could be the push button reset button that was fried too. The problem is that I have no power to the circuit breaker. I pulled the power wire from the 12V power source next to the key and plugged that into the circuit breaker. Everything now works except no 12V power supply. I'd like to put things back the way they were. I have no power coming from the red power wire that is supposed to run into the circuit breaker for the ignition. Hopefully someone can tell me why only that wire has no power?

I'm really wanting to jump on this and track it down for you as i love tracing electrical circuits. Call me crazy LOL. I just cant picture what your talking about. Are you referring to the ignition key circuit?

All the wires that have power should be coming from a distribution type block. Theres only a couple wires ran from the dash side to the battery side of the boat. I'm not sure what type and year boat you have so its hard to see this set up. No power in 1 wire means only a few things.

1. Broken wire
2. Broken connector
3. Inline fuse.
4. Short = blown fuse, tripped breaker, smoke

mac013
08-05-2009, 10:18 PM
I'm really wanting to jump on this and track it down for you as i love tracing electrical circuits. Call me crazy LOL. I just cant picture what your talking about. Are you referring to the ignition key circuit?

All the wires that have power should be coming from a distribution type block. Theres only a couple wires ran from the dash side to the battery side of the boat. I'm not sure what type and year boat you have so its hard to see this set up. No power in 1 wire means only a few things.

1. Broken wire
2. Broken connector
3. Inline fuse.
4. Short = blown fuse, tripped breaker, smoke

Now that is what I'm thinking. I'm starting to think that there is an inline fuse somewhere inside that wire bundle, either that or the wire has somehow broke? I'm going to take it apart and let you know. I have an 07 LSV.
If you look under the dash, you will see a red wire which runs from the wire bundle to the circuit breaker for the key. Then wires run from that breaker to the key.
There is a similar red wire running to the circuit breaker for the 12V power source. I pulled that red wire off and put in onto the circuit breaker for the ignition. Now it works fine. A volt meter shows there is no power coming from the keys original red wire.
Electical problems, such a pain in the A$$

tazz3069
08-06-2009, 07:22 AM
so from the circuit breaker to the 12v power source, there is no power. Make sure that wire is connected at both ends. I know that last year, from riding alot, some of my screws came loose and some accessories did not work. I tightened all the screws and check all my connection. I found all sorts of loose stuff under the dash. I will check my boat as well. I also have an 07' LSV.
Tazz

If I understand you correctly. If the 12v power source is connected to the circuit breaker, you do not get power to the key. Now if you take that same 12v power source, and wire it directly to the key, the key works. That tells me the push button circuit breaker is either tripped or no good.

Check to see if you have continuity between the two post on the circuit breaker. If you have a multi tester, you can test it. If there is no continuity, push the button and check it again. That might be the problem.