PDA

View Full Version : wakesurfing over wakeboarding?

spyder
08-04-2009, 06:55 AM
Anyone getting to the point where they actually love surfing more then boarding or skiing?

man, the slower speeds are so welcoming in the early morning when you are still tired, and not having to worry about getting hurt is a pleasure as well ;)

kaneboats
08-04-2009, 09:29 AM
I'm up to 50/50 and used to be a 100% skier. I have not been able to slalom ski yet this year.

c.rix
08-04-2009, 12:54 PM
After tearing my acl last year wakeboarding I now surf and skate alot I really like the free bindingless feeling

sandm
08-04-2009, 12:57 PM
80% surfing, 20% wakeboarding.
haven't been on a set of skis in 20 years, and have never slalom'ed..
speed is too quick for me anymore. 35mph at 20y.o. is not bad, but at 40, guess I'm just too old now...

yearround
08-04-2009, 01:05 PM
i love to ski, will ski when i get the chance at nice water. wake boarding is much easier on the body, except for the falls.

surfing is fine, but i prefer the speed of the ski. we surf when we can't do anything else.

SEARK
08-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Really starting to love the surfing. Have not wake boarded to many times this year. I like the slow fall. :D I did ski on Sunday. 1st time in about 10 years. Took me about 3 tries to get up. I felt like I was too far away from the boat since I'm used to the surfing now. Shoot, even tried to barefoot this weekend, water was glass all day and there were only about 3 boats out. Made it about 50 yards before the pain of the head over heels. Did I mention that I like the slow fall of the surf board? :)

lancesaville
08-04-2009, 04:09 PM
I'm about 90% surf 10% wakeboard, mostly because surfing is much easier to do for longer periods of time. 30 mins of wakeboarding (and about 15 good falls) and my whole body hurts for 3 days. All that hurts after 3 hours of surfing is my thighs and calves, but only until the next day, maybe I'm just getting old at 29 :D

lancesaville
08-04-2009, 04:13 PM
After tearing my acl last year wakeboarding I now surf and skate alot I really like the free bindingless feeling

I've been considering picking up a wakeskate, my balance is a lot better when I can put my feet where I want on a surfboard, so i've been thinking I may do better on a wakeskate than I do on a wakeboard. Is it any easier to balance on a skate for you?

SEARK
08-04-2009, 04:34 PM
, maybe I'm just getting old at 29 :D

At 29 you're just getting warmed up. Try barefooting at 43. Now that's sore for a couple of days. :D

c.rix
08-04-2009, 04:47 PM
I've been considering picking up a wakeskate, my balance is a lot better when I can put my feet where I want on a surfboard, so i've been thinking I may do better on a wakeskate than I do on a wakeboard. Is it any easier to balance on a skate for you?

The balance riding is about the same but more confortable. With the board I have if you go too fast it can get scary, but I usually pull the skate at 18mph so its a bit slower than I wakeboard also.
I like the fact the skate is "loose" I really like to slide the wake, switch, try kickflips, shove its even though I suck and usually crash For me its just more fun that little board is hard

If you get one remember that they come pre installed with "Nut radar" when you attempt to jump the wake and crash smash 2 attempts 2 smashes

The wakeskate I have is a cheap hyperlite wood one with foam pad like a surf I alway ride barefoot and like the feeling of putting my feet where I want and being able to adjust

Get one they are Fun!!!!

mmandley
08-04-2009, 05:05 PM
We are a 40% wake board and 60% surfing.

I like both but my back is not dealing well with wake boarding.

Claudia likes both but she can only take 4 or 5 pulls on the wake board. Surfing we have to remind her theres others who want to ride too.

Friends for the most part are 50 50 both. All of them learned to surf behind Fierah woot.

lancesaville
08-04-2009, 06:37 PM
We are a 40% wake board and 60% surfing.

I like both but my back is not dealing well with wake boarding.

Claudia likes both but she can only take 4 or 5 pulls on the wake board. Surfing we have to remind her theres others who want to ride too.

Friends for the most part are 50 50 both. All of them learned to surf behind Fierah woot.

I know what you mean about wakeboarding and back pain. Although, I gotta mention, I messed my back up last month carrying a bunch of railroad ties for my garden, I could barely stand without sharp pain and my knees kept trying to buckle when I would walk. We already had a trip planned for the lake two days later so I hoped the pulls would actually help my back and be damned, my back popped back into order on the first pull of the day. Wakeboarding is good chiro for sure. Just it usually puts you OUT of alignment, not that day tho.

lancesaville
08-04-2009, 06:39 PM
The balance riding is about the same but more confortable. With the board I have if you go too fast it can get scary, but I usually pull the skate at 18mph so its a bit slower than I wakeboard also.
I like the fact the skate is "loose" I really like to slide the wake, switch, try kickflips, shove its even though I suck and usually crash For me its just more fun that little board is hard

If you get one remember that they come pre installed with "Nut radar" when you attempt to jump the wake and crash smash 2 attempts 2 smashes

The wakeskate I have is a cheap hyperlite wood one with foam pad like a surf I alway ride barefoot and like the feeling of putting my feet where I want and being able to adjust

Get one they are Fun!!!!

Think I will prob get one soon, been sneaking looks at a ronix zariel my dealer has in his pro-shop. Looks very fun to ride, like a double-wide skateboard. He's got a good demo program so I'll prob check it out before summer ends.

MAPWPD
08-04-2009, 08:53 PM
The majority of people wakeboard but since I keep kicking my own butt so much I have been surfing it up. The falls don't hurt and found the sweet spot and surface 360's with the rope.:D

sandm
08-04-2009, 08:56 PM
so other than a different board, what else is needed to wakeskate? I have a dealer that I know would let me demo a board. I'm intrigued to try it out...

mmandley
08-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Thats all you need is the board if you get the soft rubber top style. It uses a wake board rope still. If you get a board with the sand paper style top you have to have shoes for it.

I havnt tried wake skating i herd its exactly like a skate board.

deerfield
08-04-2009, 10:41 PM

lance - My boys really like the wakeskate. No problem getting up. Put their feet where they want. No binding issues. Speed a tick slower. Falls are less painful. Freedom. We won this as a gift at last weekend's Chicago jamboree. A nice addition that they really seem to enjoy. - Deerfield

c.rix
08-04-2009, 11:40 PM
so other than a different board, what else is needed to wakeskate? I have a dealer that I know would let me demo a board. I'm intrigued to try it out...

nothing well besides a rope but im sure you got one of those

I actually will probably be sellin my ronix covin and shane close toe bindings to get a new wakeskate the wakeboard hasnt left the tower yet this year

jjolson
08-04-2009, 11:49 PM
95% wakeboard
4% surf
1% wakeskate

Sled491
08-10-2009, 09:56 AM
75 % slalom
22 % surf
3 % wakeboard

Oh yeah and don't let anyone with kids fool ya! If there are kids, there is tubing!

jmvotto
08-10-2009, 10:07 AM
20% wakeboard
15% skiing including slalom
1% surfing
10% kneeboard
5% fun board
5% Jimmy Jamming
10% tubing
1% barefoot
33% hanging and Cruizin' ;)