PDA

View Full Version : Depth finder (---)

Aquaholic
08-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Well I think I need a new puck for the sounder for my depth finder. Anyone just replace the puck? If so did it fix the problem and how much? It works sometimes and has the usual (---), I know the problems not in the display. Any feedback would be great.

Aqua

SEARK
08-03-2009, 06:43 PM
I get the (---) all the time. Had the dealer check it out several times and keeps telling me there is nothing wrong with it. Says that murky or silty water will cause it not to read, but I've had it do it to me in very clear water as well. Have a friend with an 08 LSV and his does the same thing. Not sure what causes it. I think it may be a pretty common issue.

Razzman
08-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Mine only does that when we're over 200', and yes my lakes are over 200'.

dtlaine
08-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Be sure its stuck very well to the hull with no air bubbles in the epoxy. Someone suggested pushing and twisting the puck into the epoxy. That's what I did, and mine seems to work well.

Aquaholic
08-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Mine is glue well in place and has worked without issue for three years. Our lake is far from clear so I can rule out the Dealer "lets baffle you with an answer you'd have a difficulty in your response to over come". It started this season and the depth read either (---) or 42 feet regardless if the water depth is a known value. Someone knows the fix and its my guess that knowing the answer will end up cause a sh$t storm for to many. So were stuck with (---). I hope I'm wrong......

mmandley
08-04-2009, 04:47 PM
I get the same (---) reading on and off. It tends to make me worried when i see if but for the most part then it does it im close to 100ft depth. Its never done it to me when 30ft or less of water.

Our lakes arnt clear here there pretty merky, on a few you can see 10feet really well and on others you cant see your own feet in the water.

lsgagnon
08-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Mine only does that when we're over 200', and yes my lakes are over 200'.

Mine too! :D

jmvotto
08-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Who makes the moomba stock depth finder. I know the gauges are Beede..

spoon03
08-06-2009, 11:25 AM
i know that beede makes a depth finder. i would like to know who is the stock manufacturer. my boat did not come with a depth finder and i would like to install one, but one that matches the factory stock one.

lancesaville
08-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Mine works well most of the time but I do get the --- when I'm in 5 feet of water or less, when tied in my slip it says 3 ft tho, it is weird.

dtlaine
08-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Mine works well most of the time but I do get the --- when I'm in 5 feet of water or less, when tied in my slip it says 3 ft tho, it is weird.

That sucks. Water less than 5' is when you need it the most.

totalbrody34
08-10-2009, 01:07 PM
ya mine stopped working this season too. crystal clear water here in tahoe so rule that out. sometimes it'll give a random number that i know is not right, but most of the time it just gives the ---. going to take it to the dealer for warranty repair when i pull the boat out this fall.

bergermaister
08-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Mine is a Teleflex brand and has worked pretty consistently even with semi-murky water on the river. It has flaked out every once in a while but luckily only in places where I knew the river pretty well. Usually killing the ignition and restarting has cleared it up though.

I have considered upgrading to a newer one - I figure my boat is 8yrs old and so is the depth gauge. That means eight years of R&D into a more accurate gauge if I upgraded? Plus if you don't have it some where already, several of them now come with both air and water temp which would be a plus to have.

freyse
08-11-2009, 05:47 PM
I've got the same problem - - - , checked all the wiring , checked the puck it is mounted solid gauge seems to work fine . I not really wanting to rip the puck off but if this is the problem sounds like it is happening to lots of owners. The water I boat in is clean and clear so again merky can't be the issue . Depth gauge was working fine last year now nothing have not done anything to boat to cause an issue. WHAT TO DO ?????? If someone has replaced the transducer does this correct the problem?