PDA

View Full Version : I go high not far?

Timbuck80
08-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Been wakeboarding for a year now and wondering if anyone has any advice for me. When I hit the wake I get more height than anyone on the boat but I always land just short of the far wake where everyone else clears the wake but dosn't get as much height. Is there something that I am doing different would really like to clear the wake. I ride with no ballast usually about 5 adults in boat and about 22 mph.

jjolson
08-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Without seeing you ride, here would be a few suggestions. First off you can cut out wider. You need to make sure that when you are coming into and through the wake that you continue with your progressive edge all of the way through the wake. Put more weight on the front 1/3rd of the board. Your are trying to drive the front 1/3rd of the board into the water. Try that and see if it helps.
Only try to modify one thing at a time so that you know if it works or not.

Good luck!

Timbuck80
08-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Thnx I will give that a try!!

deafgoose
08-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Aproach the wake with more speed by getting on edge sooner and have the hardest edge at the wake.

maxpower220
08-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Without seeing, it sounds like you are "standing up" (stop edging) just prior to hitting the wake. I do that when I want a trick to go more up than out. Keep that progressive edge through the wake.
Until you get more comfortable on the board, you could shorten the rope 5 feet to get to a narrower part of the wake in order to clear it.

Timbuck80
08-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Thnx guys yeah I think I'm standing up right at the wake where I need to edge through it sounds like that is my problem. Had a nice face plant myself yesterday wife gave me a 10.

Sharpie647
08-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Another think you can try is picking up the speed 1 mph or try bringing in the rope 5 feet. Either way the wake will not be quite as wide so the can get a better hang of it.

jmvotto
08-06-2009, 08:30 AM
isn't this a great feeling

Jwake0984
08-21-2009, 05:19 PM
it all depends on what type of edge you are doing...if you are getting more height than distance it seems like you are doing a ollie edge..meaning you are edging out and using the natural pull of the boat to bring you back to the wake and ollie'ing when you jump..that type of edge it used for spins, handle passes and keeps the line tension low...you should try a porgressive edege meaning that when you edge out and get set up, you come back towards the wake with line tension and edge harder towards the wake good for wake to wakt or wake to flats and trick that need more line tension.

Wakeboard89
08-21-2009, 08:58 PM
I had a similar problem when I was learning W2W. I was getting good height, but I was just missing the other side. I noticed this guy killing it on the lake that day and asked him what my problem was. It may seem sorta weird, but he told me that as soon as I swing out of the wake to swing far out and cut right back in for the W2W jump. No thinking about it or hesitating just get good edge and go big. If you swing out far and think about it you drift in as your thinking about the jump. It is all kind of a mind thing. If your getting really good height you probably already have a good edge it just requires a little more momentum. Give it a try, I know that it helped me really carry it over the wake. Have fun..

flex
08-21-2009, 09:05 PM
check out the july issue of wakeboarding mag. great article on "doing more with less". it has pics of what your posture should be when hitting the wake; standing up on edge at the top of the wake, leaning back with your chest towards the sky.