PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel Prop causing vibration?

chausj1
08-01-2009, 11:40 PM
I have had my 04 Mobius LSV in to the local dealer twice to diagnose loud vibrations in the steering column. Their latest diagnosis is thatI should switch from a Stainless steel prop back to a brass prop.

They have replaced the steering cable and the Helm already. Prop and shaft are good.

I have a hard time believing a stainless stell prop could cause a head turning rattle in the steering wheel. Does anyone else have this issue running a stainless steel prop? Or had luck eliminating vibration by switching to a brass prop?

Razzman
08-02-2009, 03:27 PM
I hate stainless props. They're hard as nails, heavy and don't give at all and if you did happen to hit the prop generally eveything else bends first. If by some chance even one blade is slightly bent it will throw everything off and vibrate.

Sled491
08-02-2009, 07:17 PM
We have a 4 blade stainless that I have had since my boat was about 2 mnths old. I have to say it is not near as smooth as the stock 3 blade NIBRAL that came on our boat, but that prop is no longer with us due to a stump :(

Razzman
08-03-2009, 09:27 AM
We have a 4 blade stainless that I have had since my boat was about 2 mnths old. I have to say it is not near as smooth as the stock 3 blade NIBRAL that came on our boat, but that prop is no longer with us due to a stump :(

Nothing worse than getting stumped! :p

bergermaister
08-03-2009, 01:34 PM
I've been running a stainless 4-blade prop on my '01 since the day I've had it (3+ yrs). I believe that some of my weird vibrations and cavitation under hard turning are due to this prop and even little variations in it.

A few weeks ago I had a close encounter with a deadhead piling in 8ft of water (about 2 ft under the surface) that took out my driveshaft, drive support, and rudder. However the stainless prop showed virtually no damage from the impact. We were idling in at about 3mph into the marina and suddenly the whole back of the boat jumped to the side.

The service shop manager agreed that there was a VERY good chance that if I had not been running a stainless prop, that the damage could have been far less severe. Just a prop replacement instead of the whole driveshaft and and assembly.

Needless to say when they are finished replacing the new running gear there WILL NOT be a stainless prop on it again.

Sled491
08-03-2009, 06:12 PM
B, yeah very good point.

zegm
08-03-2009, 10:20 PM
I have a pair of nice stainless props on a pair of 150 Evinrudes but that is common here in the saltwater. I have NEVER seen a stainless prop on an inboard, did the drafter (you know how they can be) mess up and put the wrong material on the drawing?

Sled491
08-04-2009, 09:06 AM
There are few guys who make stainless props for inboards. It's more of a Bling Bling thing that a good performance thing. Although with all the sand that I must chew up to get in and out of my lift I thinkf for now the stainless is a better wearing prop.

zabooda
08-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Borrow a brass prop and see if it does make a difference. The dealer would have props just for that purpose so they can isolate a problem to the prop itself. They probably did that test already and you can ask for that test again with you aboard or take the boat out and test it yourself. Each prop is unique and have their own vibration signature and using your spare prop will be different and you can change to spare and see if there is a difference.

Sled491
08-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Good idea, in fact I should ask them if they have one of those new 11 x 13's to check out. Only problem is my dealer knows what my appraoch is like :)