PDA

View Full Version : helmets???

jmvotto
08-01-2009, 08:51 AM
Best place to buy helmets for adults and kids. Rang my bell the other day and definitely need one.

Thanks.

Reese350
08-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Protec seems to be the big brand. You can buy them anywhere you buy wakeboarding stuff. My kids and I have them for when we visit the cable parks where there are obstacles.

jjolson
08-02-2009, 12:13 AM
I have a hyperlite helmet. I like it alot. A friend of mine has a Shred Ready. I have tried it on and i like it also. Here is a link to the Shred Ready and the hyperlyte. Always try it on before you buy it if you can.

http://www.shredready.com/products/index.html
http://www.hyperlite.com/products/124919

zegm
08-02-2009, 08:44 AM
We have the Pro-Tecs here and like them. I believe the best way to find a dealer is to go online and look for their dealer locator.
http://pro-tec.net/

skiyaker
09-01-2009, 01:35 PM
holy smokes. cleared the second wake for the first time Sunday... the second time I tried I almost cleared the second wake... but didn't. Caught the edge instead and the rest is history. Methinks I'll be wearing a helmet from now on... or maybe just stick to skiing!

volfo
09-01-2009, 03:27 PM
what is the difference between a wakeboard helmet and the skate/scooter helmets the kids have these days. Protec for example makes my son's helmet he wears on his ripstick and all those crazy boards and I can buy one or one similar to it at Academy or Dick's or just about anywhere for $20 to $30. Trying to buy a wakeboard helmet and it looks like they are around $60 plus. Aren't they the same? What are the differences and will one of those work for wakeboarding?

I can think of 3 potential differences:
1. is the "padding" waterproof?
2. is there any ear protection?
3. how is it attached to the head - with skateboarding, etc. you have it on in case you fall but most of the time they kids don't fall and when they do they don't hit their heads. When wakeboarding, they are going to fall and their head is going to under water. Do you need something different/better than the nylon chin strap?

yearround
09-02-2009, 01:40 PM
i have a byerly helmet that i wear. 2 concusions and 2 lost days.

i have a friend who wears his skate helmet. it looks like the difference is that the water helmets have hard styrofoam inside, the skate helmet has softer foam that hold water. we did not look too closely at all the differences, but that was the main one. my byerly does have ear covers that are detachable.

volfo
09-03-2009, 12:19 PM
are you saying that you have had two concussions while wearing your helmet or that you went to a helmet after getting two concussions?

I'm not good, but I try and have fallen hard a bunch. I don't think I've had any serious "concussions" yet, but I've had some monster headaches that didn't go away for a whole day. I've definitely had "my bell rung" and am thinking that even though a guy that can barely ride switch and can't go wake to wake toeside would look ridiculous with a helmet on, I probably should get one.

Roachman
09-03-2009, 12:35 PM
I have the protec classic fit because it does not have ear flaps but a hard covering. When the ear flaps on some of the helmets get wet the bother me but the classic does not. Also a new brand that alot of the hydrofoilers and wakeboards are starting to use are Shred Ready- the standard full cut:

http://www.shredready.com/products/index.html

adsman
09-03-2009, 12:43 PM
kids wear the protec... from what ive read, the ear flaps are the biggest benifit for a child...

skiyaker
09-03-2009, 12:52 PM
thinking that even though a guy that can barely ride switch and can't go wake to wake toeside would look ridiculous with a helmet on, I probably should get one.

I'm right there with you- I thought I might look stupid since I'm not that good... but now I know that the reason I should wear one is because I'm not that good- when that edge caught it hurt far worse than any fall I've taken on a ski. I have a friend that actually got to ride a medical helicopter from a caught edge

yearround
09-04-2009, 01:22 AM
the concussions were before i had the helmet. i have not had any since i got the helmet, and i always wear it.

after my first concussion, if you have ever had a concussion, then you know (or you don't know) i did not realize i had one, i drove for two other people and did not know or remember what they did. one was my daughter and i don't really want to miss important thing any more.

are you saying that you have had two concussions while wearing your helmet or that you went to a helmet after getting two concussions?

I'm not good, but I try and have fallen hard a bunch. I don't think I've had any serious "concussions" yet, but I've had some monster headaches that didn't go away for a whole day. i would think that that is a slight concussion but i'm not a medical guy.

volfo
09-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Right, probably some sort of minor concussion. Was trying not to be a drama queen. The thing was, I fell really hard on a Saturday morning, and had a monster headache all day. Sunday morning, woke up, felt great, went boarding and it was like I had no balance. I caught an edge gently crossing the wake while I was switch and face planted, but not that hard. Immediate headache that lasted all day again. I guess I need a helmet.

BoatmanCan
09-11-2009, 04:29 PM
One cool (and cheap) alternative is to get a kick-boxing helmet. They are made of this same soft and floating material that old "bananas" life savers were made of. Low maintenance, flaots, protects and cheap!

Mobius Dick
10-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Hello All,
Have to jump in on this one. Couple of years back, a 13 or 14 yr. old boy, good athlete but new to wakeboarding, actually cut his head open on the board while still in the bindings. He suffered a severe brain injury as a result.
I wouldn't have believed it, but I spoke to a firefighter who provided first aid until the ambulance arrived. Seems that he fell awkwardly, hyper-extending his back, and the board sliced him. My sons tested this laying on the dock, and if you push a bit, the board can reach your head.
Needless to say, a lot more helmets around the lake now.
MD

jmvotto
10-08-2009, 08:38 PM
For those of you looking i found a helmet that does three seasons, winter dry and wet. they have two models with interchangable inserts.

http://www.bernunlimited.com/2008/macon.html

http://www.bernunlimited.com/2008/watts.html

Fman
10-09-2009, 12:15 AM
I have a bern, but if I would have known about GATH helmets I would have bought one of these. I wore one the other day and they are by far the best helmet available in my opinion, a little more $$$ but well worth it. They have adjustable ear openings which are great and fit like a glove. Infact, I probably will buy one just because they are that good of a helmet.

http://www.airchair.com/Products/sg.htm

tprkolbas
10-13-2009, 04:44 PM
i'm on the fence about helmets. i have a pro tech. i've done the research on them, and unless you a riding sliders, obstacles, etc., i'm not sure how good they are really helping. think about it.....your head can still slap the water, and a helmet may decrease the impact to the surface of your head, but your brain is still going to rattle around in your head based on the velocity of the hit. i've found that helmets with ear protectors will help prevent ear drums from getting blown out, but that is about it. i've ridden and crashed very hard with both a helmet on and off, and i still get the really bad headaches either way.

other other issue i have with a helmet is the "bucketing effect" which can happen if an edge on your helmet catches the water as you fall causing your head to jerk in an ackward motion.

i'm not here to persuade anyone either way - it is your choice. i think if you are riding cable/obstacles, it is a no brainer to wear one. if your concern is your ears/eardrums a helmet with ear covers is also a no brainer, but for concussions, i think it is a flip of the coin. the best article i've found discussing the pros & cons of helmets is in the following link:

http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=1499

SEARK
10-14-2009, 09:46 AM
I was not a strong proponet of the helmet until about 2 weeks ago. My daughter fell and one foot came out of the board causing the board to hit her in the top of the head. It was just an awkward fall, but it did not cut her head but it left a large lump and a nice bruise for a few days. After that fall we decided that we need to get her a helmet. I don't believe that I'll order one off of the web though. I really feel like she needs to try one on before purchasing. I need to know that it is going to fit her properly. Will probably hit up our dealer in a few weeks to see what they have. There's no hurry now as summer's over. :(