PDA

View Full Version : Overheating/water issue

weirdo0521
07-31-2009, 11:12 PM
I have read a few of the other threads, and am a bit confused as what our problem may be.

After cruising for a while or a short period when pulling skier/tubes, etc. the boat seems to heat up and start smoking. The impeller seems to be working because the bilge runs like the boat was full after a rain storm. My guess is that water is coming in but not cooling the engine. While on the shore station I did notice water coming in from the stern, at a fast rate. What should I be looking at to see where the water is coming from and why it may not be cooling properly.

OldeBoy
07-31-2009, 11:18 PM
Water coming in from the stern? Have you checked your shaft packing?

Have you observed the engine while running to make sure you don't have any loose hose clamps?

mmandley
08-01-2009, 06:27 AM
The impeller seems to be working because the bilge runs like the boat was full after a rain storm. My guess is that water is coming in but not cooling the engine. .

Your bilge should not be pumping water due to your engine running. The engine should be able to run and not leak any water at all. If your engine is running and its causing the bilge to fill with water while idling, then you might have a look at the impeller cover seal, or the water pump might be leaking. Might be as simple as a lose hose but i doubt it as it would have normaly fallen off if it was that lose to allow water to leak past it.

weirdo0521
08-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Water coming in from the stern? Have you checked your shaft packing?

Have you observed the engine while running to make sure you don't have any loose hose clamps?

Yes on the second question.. Ran it with the doghouse open. No obvious hose clamp issues.

OldeBoy
08-02-2009, 08:05 AM
I agree with mmandley. The motor running shouldn't cause the bilge to run.

zegm
08-02-2009, 08:48 AM
If one of the exhaust hoses is loose it can fill the boat with water but you can check this as the water in the boat will be warm! If one of the exhaust hoses has a crack or has a burned hole in it (done this one once years ago, was taking on water and it was HOT), it can leak water into the boat.

Sled491
08-02-2009, 07:20 PM
No we have to go back to the statement about the bilge pump running like after a rain storm. What does that have to do with the engine impellor? Seems to me you should pull the cover off the impellor housing and inspect the impellor. I would deffinately have issues with smoke!

zegm
08-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Yes when our impeller died because the intake was clogged up the rubber sections of the exhaust started to burn and huge clouds of smoke were emitted from the exhaust. Then when the intake system was cleaned, and the impeller AND pump were replaced thats when we flooded the hull of the old MasterCraft (this did NOT happen to our Moomba) with hot water as we didn't know we had burned a hole in the exhaust hose. So yes this can set off a NASTY chain reaction! I had to have the heads rebuilt, purchase a new complete suction pump with impeller, and 110 inches of exhaust hose (at a dollar an inch). I did all the work myself but we were down for about 6 weeks and I was out about 700.00 dollars.
ALL because my intake was clogged at the junction of the transmission cooler. Now you know why I LOVE OUR NEW INTAKE STRAINER/FILTER!!!!

weirdo0521
08-03-2009, 02:01 PM
If one of the exhaust hoses is loose it can fill the boat with water but you can check this as the water in the boat will be warm! If one of the exhaust hoses has a crack or has a burned hole in it (done this one once years ago, was taking on water and it was HOT), it can leak water into the boat.

This looks to be the case. Yesterday, we found a leak in the exhaust hose. This answers the water issue. When viewing the exhaust at eye level (while cranked up on the boat lift), I could see that the exhaust hose had blockage of what appeared to be the hose itself imploding a bit.

Any idea of what the cost of a replacement hose would be?

Will this be a fairly simple job? I assume it involves taking out the floor of the trunk to gain access to where the hose and exhaust meet.

Thanks for all the help.