PDA

View Full Version : Bimini or not to Bimini

MAPWPD
07-30-2009, 10:23 PM
Hey what do you think, I have new baby twin girls and I should have got a stock bimini as well as the towers speakers and amp that I just added. So I asked my dealer about buying one and he said the new 09 goes above the tower, but no pics. This website also does not show products to add to our boats, which I think is odd. Does anyone have one can I see pics open and closed. Also even the older style that goes under but only stock ones please I have read older posts and I am not to crazy about after market styles.

Thanks Mark

zegm
07-30-2009, 10:48 PM
There is only one way to go ..........bimini..................Z Cargo!!!

deerfield
07-30-2009, 10:53 PM
MAPWPD - You need a bimini. Two most appreciated creature comforts on my Outback are the bimini and heater. - Deerfield

zegm
07-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Honestly even if you don't get a second morgage on your house for a Zcargo any bimini makes life on the lake 10 times better!!!!

Razzman
07-30-2009, 11:53 PM
Amen on that! A bimini is a must, especially with kids as the UV's can burn them in no time. Not only that but just having a respite from the sun makes the day better. :D

jester
07-31-2009, 12:13 AM
I 100% agree. Having a bimini is priceless. Good way to keep the little ones or yourself out of the hot sun. On the first really sunny day you will be thankful you have it.

eseebeck
07-31-2009, 01:15 AM
bimini is the way to go, my '08 outback has a factory tower and bimin and I love em.. only put out the bimini on hot sunny days. haven't seen many this summer in Michigan though, but the 4 or 5 have been blistering, (back in June). Really enjoyed the bimini, The tower I could go without, two kids are slalom skiing (8 and 10) and that is all I do with an occassional barefoot run. but the tower looks cool, holds the bimini and when friends are over for tubing, etc. it holds the rope up and out of the way for more seating and drinking space.

sandm
07-31-2009, 05:58 AM
gotta say I'm going to be in the minority here as we don't ever use our bimini. we are sun worshipers. a little spf15 and I don't mind sitting in the sun all day.

however we don't have any kids, and only ever have one under the age of 15 that goes with us. she's 11. probably be open every time we went if I had kids under 10.

tazz3069
07-31-2009, 08:38 AM
WOW spf 15 Here In Vegas we use SPF40 to fire retardant clothes to keep from burning. HAHAHA At 116 degrees on the water, the sun is intense. A Bimini here is a must. I defiantly would consider a bimini. Safe for the entire crew from the sun. Nice to be under a somewhat cool area when you do not want to be in the sun anymore. Do not think twice. Get a Bimini.
Tazz

MAPWPD
Too bad you did not have any yellow in your boat. I have a bimini that will fit that tower. The only problem is that it has two yellow strips down the center

moombadaze
07-31-2009, 09:06 AM
Bimini is a must for us. Little one's burn way to easy. Ours doubles sometimes as a giant umbrella.

SEARK
07-31-2009, 10:58 AM
I have the bimini and my buddy has the Zcargo. Both are great shade, but if you're going to add then I would go with the Zcargo. That's just extra storage as well as shade. I couldn't even imagine being on the lake on a hot sunny day without some kind of shade.

ABUCKOTOMAMBO
07-31-2009, 11:59 AM
Bimni was the best accessory I have purchased for my boat. It is used 100% of the time.

MEDIC151
07-31-2009, 12:47 PM
I use mine all the time. If I want sun, put it up or move to the rear. I spent a few days last summer on Lake Mead in a friends Barefoot Sanger and dang was it miserable.

Jeff W
07-31-2009, 12:48 PM
gotta say I'm going to be in the minority here as we don't ever use our bimini. we are sun worshipers. a little spf15 and I don't mind sitting in the sun all day.

however we don't have any kids, and only ever have one under the age of 15 that goes with us. she's 11. probably be open every time we went if I had kids under 10.

I'm in the same boat (best pun ever)

No bimini for me. BRING ON THE SUN! I look like a Guatamalan after about 3 hours in the sun, it's the best.

brain_rinse
07-31-2009, 04:40 PM
Z5. It's worth it.

Razzman
07-31-2009, 05:35 PM
No bimini for me. BRING ON THE SUN! I look like a Guatamalan after about 3 hours in the sun, it's the best.

Let me just say this, it's your choice but Melanoma (skin cancer) is no fun. A buddy of mine was the same way, now he has to have bi-annual checkups since having 1/5th of his back carved out 10 years ago.

mmandley
07-31-2009, 07:44 PM
I love my Z5 and wouldn't trade it for any option on my boat. When i want sun i sit in the front or the back. When i want shade i sit in the middle. Its great. We went on the boat a lot before we had the Z5 and it wasn't bad but it does wear on you not having shade.

The first weekend we had the Z5 we actually got more sunburned as we thought we didn't need the sunblock LOL.

jjolson
07-31-2009, 10:52 PM
Z5 not only for the shade but for the extra board and tube storage!

zegm
07-31-2009, 11:55 PM
You know you are right, seems like you can stay out there longer, less fatigue with a bimini. Years ago I used to pull people all day long and at the end of the day I was beat, not sun burned as I used sun screen but just exhausted. Then we put a bimini on an old skiboat when no one else was doing it but it made life great. But at that time I was a little embarrassed because no other inboard had one. I liken my Zcargo to a T-top on a center console! I just need some outrigger mounts and I would be way cool! :cool:

Razzman
08-01-2009, 12:20 AM
Well it's moot point now, i'm happy to say Mark purchased my factory bimini from me earlier this evening so all will be shaded now!

Way to go Mark! :p

zegm
08-01-2009, 12:25 AM
Razzman,

What do you have now for sun coverage! and congradulations for convincing him of the right thing!

Razzman
08-01-2009, 01:04 AM
Zegm i got a custom bimini from Tower Biminis which is about 1.5' longer than the stock one. See below ..

New Custom Bimini From Tower Biminis (https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=8616&highlight=tower+biminis)

sandm
08-02-2009, 08:54 AM
omg.. just came back from vegas. 110 on saturday. if I was out in that heat, I'd have the bimini out all day...
it seems that some spend the entire day on the lake, and for that, I would have it open, but we are fortunate to have docks with shelters on our lake for daytripping or camping, so when we get done with surfing/skiing, we head for the dock and drink/eat. when it's time to go back out, load up and off we go, so in a 7hr day on the lake, we only spend 3-4 actual hours out in the sun on the water...
they are nice on some days, but our bimini stays undercover.
the real advantage to owning the z5 imo is the extra storage, but for $300, you can add another set of boardracks. much cheaper...

zegm
08-02-2009, 09:03 AM
sandm,

We can put 2 wakeboards and a pair of skis on the zcargo and I can ADD a pair of wakeboard racks too!

Another good thing about the zcargo is it is an exceptionally study frame that covers more ground than most biminis and it Looks GREAT! Like I said somewhere is it is more like a T-top on a center counsole. There are no straps flapping around in the breeze and the canvas it tight!

Yes I believe it is WAY overpriced too! But the prices the dealer wants for just the normal bimini would make me run off to Overtons or Barts first!

Sled491
08-02-2009, 07:15 PM
I realize this is after the fact, but our Bimini is always up, and is a great accesory. We don't get Florida or Vegas or even Cali sun, but it just seems to be nicer on the boat with it. If you want sun lie out back or hop up front.

kaneboats
08-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Remember to still use an SPF 15 or so even with the bimini as lots of rays will reflect off the water and get you even if you stay under it all day.

sandm
08-03-2009, 02:25 PM
we have started to use a uva/uvb spf15. not sure why, but dr suggested it a while back when my wife was on antibiotics, so we have just stayed with it...

jester
08-03-2009, 03:39 PM
What is with only using SPF 15. SPF 30 to 50 all the way. Also having the bimini makes it so the drivers seat is not burning hot so sit in all day because being the driver you really don't have an option to move around to get a little out of the sun and the bimini protects you.

sandm
08-03-2009, 04:27 PM
30 to start the season, then 15 to get a good tan..

hotrod62
08-03-2009, 04:33 PM
I have one from Tower Bimini and never hit the water without it. Excellent quality

Razzman
08-03-2009, 07:18 PM
We use only spf50 and i'm darker than a freaking aborigine! :p It's a myth that the higher the spf the less you tan.

Sled491
08-04-2009, 09:12 AM
True, SPF just lets you stay in the sun longer, not prevent tanning.

GeauxTigers
08-04-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm in the same boat (best pun ever)

Hmmm.... what does a Guatemalan look like? I am Nicaraguan.... do we look alike to you????

MAPWPD
08-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Hey razzman the top was awesome and my vacation would not have been as good with out it, so thanks again my wife and the twins and the rest of the family really appreciated it....:D