PDA

View Full Version : Fresno area lakes

Barlowx4
07-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Anyone been to any of the lakes in the fresno area.... Millerton, Pineflat, Bass, Shaver. We are trying to plan a trip and any info would be appreciated.
thanks
Brad

Razzman
07-30-2009, 03:14 PM
I know Millerton is holding at 84% capacity, but it has a tendancy to be crowded and gets blown out in the afternoons. Bass is more of a resort type lake and not real big. Can't speak for the others.

rmk818
07-31-2009, 02:00 AM
Millerton lake is at 84 percent as posted earlier, but they are going to start releasing the water in Oct this year for 5 years (salmon and San Fran). The lake is deep, and there are two great channels to ski in if you get there before noon. The wind kicks up at about 4:00pm and makes the main area of the lake unskiable. Most of the rec boaters tend to go to Millerton. The water is deep and warm with the launch on the Madera side much better (less rookies) than the Fresno side. It will cost you 15 dollars + 7 dollars for your boat. Pine Flat is our lake of choice if the water is above 40%. The launch ramps are not the best, but it keeps the rec boaters out. Great channels to ski in, warm water and a Marina to get gas if needed. At 40 percent, it is just under the same capacity as Millerton at 80%. Bass, and Shaver are at the higer elevations, and are cold (spring suits will be appreciated) and have a lot of large rocks to watch for. Lake McClure is an hour and a half and is another great place to go (deep water but it to is low right now). Watch out for rattle snakes (on the shores) at Millerton and Pineflat (will occassionally be in the water during late spring early summer). I hope this helps. The picture on my post was taken at Millerton this year.. (rmk818)

Barlowx4
08-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks guys for the info. Looks like my wife wants to try Bass so we'll post after the trip.
Brad