PDA

View Full Version : 05 XLV opinions

newty
07-29-2009, 10:24 PM
My buddy is looking at an 05 and I was wondering what your opinions/experiences on the boat. Its a GG and seems to have all the options and is in really good shape.
I new the guy who owned the boat prior to the current owner and he seemed to love it. He sold it cause money got tight. I've spoken to the currnet owner and he's pretty motivated to sell it. I'm just trying to get a feel for the boat and make sure my buddy knows what he's getting into. He has never owned a boat and really nothing about boats except what he's picked up from being around my group of boating friends.
Here's the link. http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=817470

Thanks.

tlatoani
07-29-2009, 10:51 PM
I love mine. I have not had any problems with it. I upgraded the rear bags, stereo, and added perfect pass. We love it. Great boat, lots of room, nice wake. Feel free to pm/email me specific questions...I'm not on here a ton.

Ian Brantford
07-29-2009, 11:35 PM
Mine has been great, too. I got the non-GG version. The main upgrades that I did after purchase were to the ballast and prop... which should be unnecessary on the GG version.

I made my ballast 750lb per side in the rear (which I never fill past 500) and 1000lb in the center. The GG from that year was 500 and 1000, so I basically matched the GG there. The 750 in rear might help me if I ever take up wakesurfing, but otherwise it's overkill. In fact, I plan to add one of the original 250's to the bow, as I find that I like the wake better with more weight forward. I cannot always have a passenger or two to sit there.

I upgraded the prop to lower pitch (14"). If this GG boat has all the options, it should have that already.

I am about the upgrade one rack to a Comptech swivel type. This is also the only model that I found with extra room between the wakeboards. I find that they knock against each other a bit in choppy water with the stock racks.

Has your buddy had much experience with driving, towing and storing this size of boat? It has a lot of momentum, so great care must be taken around the dock and when returning to pick up a fallen rider. At 4800lbs dry including trailer, it is heavy for a mid-sized truck for towing. It is also too big for many garages.

From the (most important) perspective of riding, I would have to make the following comments about the XLV's wake as compared to the smaller hulls:
- it's wider at any given speed
- it's bigger, even with no ballast
- it's really big at speeds suitable for beginner children (10-15 MPH)
- it's a challenge to have it well-formed (no froth) below about 19 MPH

If you have more advanced riders, they'll appreciate the big wake that can be had with full ballast. Anyone who is past the first few rides on a wakeboard should be able to handle it though. My passengers think it's a hoot.

As with any purchase that involves used vehicle, an independent mechanical inspection is called for. We all know how easy it is for a boat to get messed up mechanically.

akamax_power
07-30-2009, 02:58 AM
Another happy owner here, I have the GG edition as well. As was mentioned there is no small wake with this hull even with the ballast empty. The room is awesome if your carrying a big group. Haven't had any issues with the boat, right now I'm in the process of upgrading some of the stereo components. I also added the Z5 cargo bimini, pricey but worth it.

I think being a boat owner is a progressive skill, this being my second boat every year I learn something new. Tell your friend to get used to keeping his wallet open cuz there's always something that pops up.

tlatoani
07-30-2009, 10:24 AM
I have to add some stress to the above comment about it barely fitting in garages. Our garage is ~1ft taller than a normal garage and it brushes the top on the way in.