PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Winch broke

mmandley
07-29-2009, 06:20 AM
I couldn't believe it. I was trailer the boat after a great day out and as my buddy drove the boat onto the trailer. I pulled the winch strap out a few feet as normal.

Hooked it to the eye ring on the boat and just as always i winched the boat up while he gave me a little power on the engine. I wasn't even winching it that hard. I was one handing it like normal.

All the sudden like paper tearing the nylon strap ripped apart and the strap broke in 2 and the winch hook was sitting on the boat eye with a torn strap.

At first i was like GDit. How the hell so i get my boat out of the water now with no winch to hold her on.

I pulled the nylon strap out and tied a Anchor knot on the boat eye and cranked her up and its tight now. Got home safe was worried pulling her up the ramp though.

Can you buy just straps with the hook? Or do i have to buy a new winch system?

jmvotto
07-29-2009, 06:33 AM
if you have a TSC ( tractor supply store) they have a large selection of winches and straps

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_114098_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

Good temporary fix

zegm
07-29-2009, 07:01 AM
I suspect you strap cut a nick on the edge of it somehow.
You can buy the straps at West Marine and other Marine stores and online at trailer supply stores.
Man I miss Boaters World!!!!!! :oops:

sandm
07-29-2009, 07:53 AM
same thing happened to us a few years ago. as ed said, boat buddy gave me that extra vote of confidence. we did the same thing though. tied the nylon cord through the bow eye.
new strap was $14 at cabelas locally. have seen them at several places. any sporting goods shop should have them.

kaneboats
07-29-2009, 10:17 AM
I think I have tied a knot in the strap at some point on every winch strap I've ever owned. I think it's because the end with the loop for the hook gets wet and sits in the sun all day while you're out too. It just weakens over time. If it's pretty new you probably nicked it though.

mmandley
07-29-2009, 03:46 PM
I think I have tied a knot in the strap at some point on every winch strap I've ever owned. I think it's because the end with the loop for the hook gets wet and sits in the sun all day while you're out too. It just weakens over time. If it's pretty new you probably nicked it though.

I think i do recall a nick in the edge but its has threading tracks on both sides inner and outer so i figured if they are solid i was golden.

Ahh well it was a learning experience. I ordered 2 straps on rush so ill get them for Sunday boating. Ill keep an extra in the truck in case this happens again.

jester
07-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Ok so i just read this post after posting my own on my strap having a cut in it. Guess the straps that come with the trailer are not that tough. This is one thing you really do not want to go cheep on since it holds the boat down. Also mike if you have not already get a safety chain for the trailer. Talk about something you never use but one day if someone forgets to put the winch to lock only you will be happy you have it.

mmandley
07-31-2009, 03:56 AM
Yea ive seen the straps you mean that hook to the boat eye and then to the little welded eye on the trailer below the wench. I will get one of those too.

gcnettl
07-31-2009, 08:46 PM
Just go ahead and get a boat buddy, the auto locking mechanism that takes the place of the strap and winch. Simply pull the boat on the trailer, and up against the rollers, or the rubber "V", or whatever your bow rests against and the spring loaded lock snaps around the eye on your bow. Ready to pull out and go! About 70 to 100 bucks though. Just a thought. And I would like to have one.
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0001975011046a.shtml

skiyaker
07-31-2009, 11:11 PM
hey this is sort of related- do you guys use transom straps in addition to the winch strap? I do because it gives me an extra level of comfort- especially when I pull the boat up the steep hill to our cabin. I've talked to a few people who don't with their v drives because they say the weight in the stern keeps the boat from bouncing.

zegm
08-01-2009, 12:20 AM
Yeah those guys who think the weight keeps the boat from bouncing are just a little off rocker here! All these trailers have on them are springs! There are no shocks on these trailers. When you compress a spring it stores potential energy then it releases this energy (kenetic energy) and forces the trailer back up with almost an equal force as it pushed it down, so the weight that compressed the spring is also the force that pushes it back up! It doesn't matter if it is a light boat or a heavy boat, a heavier boat will compress the spring more! A shock takes this mechanical energy and converts it to heat, it usually doesn't have much compression damping (when you compress the spring) but a lot of rebound damping (when the spring is returning to it's normal length) so it will slow this force down (speed at which the spring returns) and convert it to heat. Just grab a dirt bike shock after a motocross, it will burn you. And have you ever seen an old junker with the rear shocks worn out and see how it bounces down the road. So what goes in comes out on these trailers and I certainly tie ours down for the day we hit that mega pot hole, or even just to keep it from moving around a little and messing up the paint!!! Don't even get me going on what happens in a wreck or emergency manuever! Don't be stupid and tie your boats down!

mmandley
08-01-2009, 06:21 AM
Yes we always put our transom straps on when we are wipeing the boat down after pulling it out of the water. We also dont take them off till right before the boat goes into the water.

We geenraly drive a good amount of distance 50miles at least 1 way with lots of curves and bumps along the way.

Another reason we have to use ours is we have a steep driveway and just backing the boat up i only have 1inch of cleareance from the V drive trailer brace before it drags on the driveway. Backing it in will actualy lift the front axle off the ground for a second and this causes the boat to shift forward and you can see the weight shift as all the water from the front bunks are squeezed out.