PDA

View Full Version : 2008 XLV Gravity Games

mjwray
07-28-2009, 11:10 PM
I am looking at purchasing either a 2008 leftover gravity games xlv or a 2009 supra launch 21v. One question I have is the difference in the perfect pass system, the Supras seem to do it all, and set the speed and the plate per user. All I can find out or read on the internet is that the XLV's only does the speed and the plate is manual. I am looking for the simplest system to set up. Any help or pro's or con's of these two boats would be appreciated.

Thanks Matt

sandm
07-29-2009, 05:41 AM
I have the perfectpass setup that does not adjust the wakeplate on my supra and it's not a real dealbreaker. I guess I can see the advantages of having something like the malibu ride that even sets the ballast, but a few adjustments to the wakeplate are not a big deal. you may find that you get it set for each rider and have to adjust it anyway for the lake conditions of the day.

I, personally would focus on the boat that offers the better features for the riding you plan on doing and which one looks like the best value for your family.

mjwray
07-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the information, its a tough choice between the two, but I do like the added room of the XLV. I am coming from bass boats, and my concern is in bass boats, you want the max horsepower, I was wondering if the XLV would be underpowered with the 325 HP motor compared to the 21V with the same horsepower and the fuel economy being worse pushing the bigger boat. This is like my midlife crisis switching from fishing to wake boarding and want to get the right boat.

Thanks Matt

sandm
07-29-2009, 03:01 PM
personally, both are great boats, but if I had to pick one, not related to price, I would probably take the xlv, mainly for what I would perceive to be a good surf wake. I have not heard many good things about the 21v as a surf boat, however has a great wakeboard wake. for surfing, the 20/22/24ssv are better surf boats from supra.

being this is a mid-life crisis change, if you don't plan on keeping them real long-term, look up residuals when you plan to sell compared to cost to purchase as well..

I have never driven anything with the 325hp, as I have the 340hp and it does just fine. I wouldn't think that you will have any issues with the 325 as it's sold in a lot of boats. prop will make a bigger difference...

moombadaze
07-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Just something to think about-I have the 325hp in my lsv(think its only 300?lb lighter than the xlv) and this boat will jump on plane and run with 2500lb of ballast and people in it with no problem. I do have the upgraded wakeboard prop.

mjwray
07-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the info, I am leaning more and more towards the gravity XLV, was just concerned about the power. my bass boat now has a mercury 250XS racing motor on it so I am going to have to get used to going slower. I plan on keeping it for a good while since I am completely burnt out on fishing, plus my wife is really excited to do this instead of fishing she already got set up at a shop and bought everything but the boat LOL. Should I opt to get the wakeboard prop for better performance, and how much top end do you loose with it?

Thanks Matt

Mike G
07-29-2009, 08:06 PM
I just purchased an 09 XLV and i originally had the same concern about the horsepower and I have not been disappointed with the 325. I typically have 6-10 people on board with their gear and have run with the ballast anywhere from empty to about 80% full and she comes up on plane much quicker than I would have expected. I do have the upgraded wakeboard prop which does make a difference. You also may want to see if your dealer will let you demo the boats.

Sled491
07-30-2009, 10:06 AM
I know what you mean about the speed. I went from a 60mph boat to a 45 mph boat. But you get used to it. In fact at the Midwest Jamboree the other weekend I was just comenting to Deerfield how cruising at 28 mph with these boats is just fine. Good sound, good feel, and you get to see more:)

mjwray
07-30-2009, 08:21 PM
yea, I will miss running down the lake at 80 MPH, but I think it will be a good change. My question is, if I go to the dealer to demo, is it going to be the boat I purchase? my reason for asking is I read about the engine break in and the rpm's shouldn't be above 2000 RPM for the first two hours and really that isn't going to show me how well the boat operates. Hopefully I will have a new ride within the week, just gotta make that big decision!

Thanks again Matt

Sled491
07-30-2009, 09:50 PM
No they'll have a broken in boat the have registered and have been using all summer for your demo, because your right, what kind of demo is idle speed :)

Ian Brantford
07-30-2009, 10:20 PM
I have an XLV with the 340 HP engine. As far as I can tell, the main difference between it and the modern 325 MPI is a bit more top end, good for a few MPH at the expense of a lot of fuel consumption. You can hear the extra ports open up around 4800 RPM, pouring money straight into the water for you. I cannot remember the last time that I actually used that -- maybe 3 years ago? Having the extra bit probably helps with getting out of being bogged down in a tight turn when running heavy, but I never do double-ups. I strongly doubt that the 325 MPI would have caused me any realistic difference in real-world use.

Definitely get the upgraded (lower-pitch) prop. With it, my XLV tops out around 40 MPH, but I rarely go much over 30.

When some newbie asks me about my boat's size and power, I answer, and then as he takes that breath that is intended to sputter out "WOWTHATMUSTREALLYGOFASTHOWFASTDOESITGO", I interrupt him and say "But it's a towboat, not a speedboat, so of course the important thing is how well it tows and shapes the wake in the operational range of 18-24 MPH. You must already know something about these things, since you did not embarrass yourself by asking the top speed. Nobody cares what a tow truck's top speed is." That pretty much covers it. :-)

mmandley
07-31-2009, 03:41 AM
When people ask me how fast my boat goes. I tell them well my boat weight 3500 + fuel and gear. it holds on average 2K Ballast and at 6K pounds i still go 40.

I go 40 empty and i go 40 full. Thats the bottom line.

mjwray
07-31-2009, 07:14 PM
Yea, less speed is better, to many people dying in high speed bass boats. looks like I will have it next week, just sold my 08 bass boat today, trying to get the z-5 added to the supra at no charge so it isn't more expensive, but still in limbo about which one to get. Anyone here ever do there own 20 hour inspection? Im a long way from a dealer and I am mechanically inclined.

Thanks Matt

mmandley
07-31-2009, 07:40 PM
Just my thought here. Have a dealer do the 20hr its the most important inspection. Indmar also looks at this and if you didn't have it done and have any major issues your first season they will blame it on the 20hr.

This is the service they double check everything from the tower being tight to the engine to shaft alignments.

As for all the other services there not as important.

Pay the 250 or so, set up the appointment with them and they can let you wait at there shop, its not a long service maybe 5 hours or so. Go take the lady to dinner and shopping to kill the time.

Just my thoughts here on a 20hr. It was the one service i agreed to pay for. All the others are up in the air still LOL.

Sled491
07-31-2009, 07:52 PM
Just my thought here. Have a dealer do the 20hr its the most important inspection. Indmar also looks at this and if you didn't have it done and have any major issues your first season they will blame it on the 20hr.

This is the service they double check everything from the tower being tight to the engine to shaft alignments.

As for all the other services there not as important.

Pay the 250 or so, set up the appointment with them and they can let you wait at there shop, its not a long service maybe 5 hours or so. Go take the lady to dinner and shopping to kill the time.

Just my thoughts here on a 20hr. It was the one service i agreed to pay for. All the others are up in the air still LOL.

250.00? What are you smoking. 250.00 for an oil change maybe. My 20 hr on a Outback with no tower was 350.00. Big V drives with everything will be more.

I do agree with your logic though. I took mine in for the 20 hr and have not been back since except for warrenty.

mjwray
07-31-2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the post, I see your point about the 20 hour, I have no clue about transmissions, Vdrives and stuff like that, I have been an outboard man my whole life. Can anyone recommend a good indmar mechanic in north Alabama?

Thanks Matt

mmandley
07-31-2009, 08:02 PM
Sled no kidding man. AWS only charged me 250. I got the oil changed trans changed, engine aligned, all the systems checked, all the bolts on the tower retorqued.

They also replaced my LSV sticker that had a wrinkle in it and warrantied the front cushion that had a striped bolt.

Now the 100hr service is 600 and im having a hard time swallowing that for a 20hr plus a new impeller. Thats existentially what it is.

jester
07-31-2009, 08:22 PM
Two things. One if you take the lady shopping when the boat is in the shop it will cost a lot more then $250.

Two is the 100 hour service is hard to swallow. I did have mine done from my dealer just because of time and there where a few things on the list i did not know how to do. I think we need to setup a winterization party this year so we can all get together and pull the boats apart. pickup some pizza and beer to help the project get going

mmandley
08-01-2009, 06:10 AM
I would have to get the list from the tech manager there but its a 20hr service, plus checking extra things like the shaft seal, rechecking alignments, and some other things. When i read threw the list i wasnt impressed for a 600 bill for the services to be rendered.

I think they added a new drive belt for the alternator and water pump, added a fuel filter, things i can easily do in the garage at home.

mjwray
08-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Yea I know what you mean it will cost more than $250 with the wife shopping, we already had a ton of stuff show up at the front door from ups this week, seemed like every day there was a new box at the door, I don't know what its gonna be like when we do get the boat. LOL, which is good she is really excited. I am going to the dealer and talk price about the XLV Gravity and see what we can do, I seem to be leaning towards that one, so if all goes well, by next Saturday I will be on the water!!!!

Once again Thanks all, Matt

Ecoleman24
12-07-2009, 03:57 AM
I would say the xlv but that is all defendant upon whether price is a big factor for you and exactly what you are looking for as far as performance.