PDA

View Full Version : Good day skiing - way better than a good day at work

BensonWdby
07-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Left work at 3:30, ride home with the top down and the sun shinning down. Cut the grass and off to the lake. An hour drive with the top down and the radio cranked.

Get to the lake, get in the suit, down to the dock, neighbor waiting with boat.

Two excellent sets at 32 off. Some of the longest consequtive turn sets of the year and it was clicking.... both sides...

I am going to feel this in the morning, but what a great evening.

Just had to tell someone ...

Dave

sandm
07-28-2009, 10:04 PM
jealous here. hoping to get a good wakeboard set in this week, but not looking promising..
weather is in the mid90's all week and water temp was 68 on sunday, so should be up to 69-70 by saturday :)

moombadaze
07-29-2009, 07:30 AM
What a great way to finish a day.

BensonWdby
07-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Equally good - I was able to start today off at 7:30 with a good set at 32 off and a great set at 28 off in dead calm - except fo the wake the Loon was putting up ...

Sled491
07-30-2009, 10:21 AM
I'm sitting here with a similar opportunity. 32 off you say, awsum!

BensonWdby
07-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Last night even better - a set at 28 off and another at 38 off. All open water ofcourse, else I might be considering heading to the Big Dawg....

I had forgotten how much stress 38 off puts on the joints (at least for us 50+ fat guys).

I just wish I could find a spray leggin that would stay up when I am getting out of the water..

Sled491
07-30-2009, 02:05 PM
You just need to let that leg scab over early in the season so you don't have to worry about that thing sliding down. Besides it makes for good conversation around the fire or at the marina :)

BensonWdby
07-30-2009, 05:11 PM
I am too much of a head case. I find -while uncomfortable - it is more distracting than anything. I was duct taping the legin at the top, but got ahold of some velcor straps. The straps worked one day out, then .. not so much . My old leggin worked great, but mfg have gotten cheap in their construction.

Another option is a wet suit , but my pos wet suit rides up from the ankle...all the way to the knee...

On the positive side - I have started keeping my elbows in tighter and let the arms go long across the back of the boat. I know this is working becasue I am notting rug burns on the inside of my elbows from extending. May need to duct tape that also... Like I said - head case...

Sled491
07-30-2009, 06:10 PM
I am too much of a head case. I find -while uncomfortable - it is more distracting than anything. I was duct taping the legin at the top, but got ahold of some velcor straps. The straps worked one day out, then .. not so much . My old leggin worked great, but mfg have gotten cheap in their construction.

Another option is a wet suit , but my pos wet suit rides up from the ankle...all the way to the knee...

On the positive side - I have started keeping my elbows in tighter and let the arms go long across the back of the boat. I know this is working becasue I am notting rug burns on the inside of my elbows from extending. May need to duct tape that also... Like I said - head case...

Explain the elbows thing, I've never had a problem there but then maybe I'm not doing something right.

PM me you email, I want to shoot you a couple of vids from this past week for some feedback if you don't mind

BensonWdby
07-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Sled - your pm mailbox is full....

Keep in mind I am nowhere near qualified to give instructions. I found that out pretty quick when I was in Ski Paradise.
Evertime I think I know what I am doing I find someone who knows much more than me and I need to relearn....

The deal with elbows as I understand it is not letting your arms get out of control and keeping your hands low, which seems to come from reaching low in the pre-turn, or I guess maybe not reaching high or straight out anyhow. This also make it easier to let the ski run out into the turn on it's natural path becasue you actually have more space to ski away from the handle if you reach low (imho). As the ski comes around, the goal is to keep the hands low. The only way to do this is to have angle. Pretty much impossible the more vertical you get as you approach the wake.

As you come out of the turn, extend the arms to get the 'long arms', with the goal to have your hands on your thighs (easier said than done). Again - knees bent and good angle are the only way to accomplish this. This extension is where I am really noticing the arms close in, which I never really used to get. And my skiing is definitely improving as a result (I think)..

You can send video - but keep in mind my amature stauts. The summer before going to Ski Paradise I was skiing 38 off at 34 almost all year. When I got there they eventually had me back out at 15 off at 28 to try to correct my bad habits. I would like to think I corrected some of them, but only the course and the pros know for sure. And I don't have a course to run. I do have a lot fewer bad crashes these days, and am putting together 15-20 turns in a row - which for me is huge.

For real help reviewing your videos :
http://www.proskicoach.com/

If you want you can send them to me. The email addr is at the bottom of my home page, in the signature block below...

Keep swerving...
Dave