PDA

View Full Version : amp question

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-28-2009, 09:34 PM
ok mmandly i see you and others used the kicker amps zx700.5 i noticed that is the automobile amp and the mx700.5 is the marine amp. is it not a big deal or why did u go with that one?

Razzman
07-28-2009, 09:53 PM
In a non-salt, low to average humidity environment using a car amp presents no issues if kept dry.

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-29-2009, 12:23 AM
ah ok that makes sense but here in ohio we have some pretty high humidity so it might benefit me to get the marine amps then ? i see they are a little more costly but worth it if they won't hold up

mmandley
07-29-2009, 05:50 AM
I got the car style amps as the factory amps are actually car amps not true marine amps. I have mine mounted high enough that even if i take a roller and take on water they are mounted high enough up the amps stay dry.

I did run into a problem today that i have to check out tomorrow.

It was like 105 or so on the water and at the end of the day after about 6 hours of wake boarding and surfing the whole stereo just up and shut off. No warning, power still at my main switch, deck powered off.

I touched the amps and dam near burned my fingers, they were very hot. i don't know if its from the heat outside or truly from pumping out the tunes all day. Ill have to look it over tomorrow before work if i get time. Hopefully it got hot and powered down, or a poped a fuse. Ill update when i look it over.

tazz3069
07-29-2009, 09:43 AM
I have two of the Kicker Marine amps in my boat. I have been very happy with them. I have not had an ounce of problems. Very Happy with my set-up. I know If I have to do it again, I would do the same thing all over again. Check out my pictures of the install.
Tazz

tlatoani
07-29-2009, 12:50 PM
I have 3 kicker non-marine amps and could not be happier with them.

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-29-2009, 03:37 PM
I have two of the Kicker Marine amps in my boat. I have been very happy with them. I have not had an ounce of problems. Very Happy with my set-up. I know If I have to do it again, I would do the same thing all over again. Check out my pictures of the install.
Tazz

hey thanks tazz i'll check out your pics when i get ready for the install as well as talk to you mike.
u have the sub and cabins on the 700 amp and tower on the 350 right? u happy the the sound your tower is pushing...is the 350 big enough?

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-29-2009, 03:39 PM
I have 3 kicker non-marine amps and could not be happier with them.

you have a pic of your ws 420 installed? mike and i were both thinking about adding it and like to see what u did.

tlatoani
07-29-2009, 04:46 PM
you have a pic of your ws 420 installed? mike and i were both thinking about adding it and like to see what u did.

I don't really have any interior pics at all. It is just right below the dash to the left of the wheel-nothing fancy.

I do love the unit. I really want the HSE speed-volume control to add on to it.

tazz3069
07-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Yes the cabin speakers and sub are wired to the 700.5 and the tower is wired to the 350.4. With my set-up, I can here the tower at 75 back no problem. Good luck with your install and let us know how it turns out.
Tazz

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-29-2009, 06:27 PM
I don't really have any interior pics at all. It is just right below the dash to the left of the wheel-nothing fancy.

I do love the unit. I really want the HSE speed-volume control to add on to it.

what is that exactly? ok i remember seeing someone had there ws 420 under the switches on the right side of steering wheel and it looked really nice and clean install but can't find that thread thought maybe that was you

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Yes the cabin speakers and sub are wired to the 700.5 and the tower is wired to the 350.4. With my set-up, I can here the tower at 75 back no problem. Good luck with your install and let us know how it turns out.
Tazz

thanks tazz i'll be sure to take pics as i go...and i'm sure i'll ask for advise. right now it looks like end of aug till i get the equipment and my cousin is free.

what made ya go with the boston sub?

tazz3069
07-29-2009, 07:04 PM
I have always like the Boston G3 Sub. I have heard them in cars and trucks. I figured, since I am doing my own system, I am going to put what I want in it. The sub encloser is from www.audioformz.com It fits perfect under the driver side dash area. I wedged it between the back of the seat and the foot rest. Perfect. I also fill the sub box with a little speaker insulation. The bass is tight and hits hard. Also, when I was alot younger, I used to work in a car stereo shop. Things are a bit different from 25 years ago. Back then, it was all about Orion amps and speakers with Kenwood or Pioneer as the head unit. Let us know if you have any questions. I do not know everything so I am sure with the help of everyone here, you can build an awesome system.
Tazz

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-29-2009, 07:20 PM
ok i don't know much thats why i'm asking a lot of questions to kinda find out what i wanna go with. my set up will be a lot like mike's is with the exception being my amps will be marine amps.
what do u think about this sub and the enclosure ?
http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_product_details.jsp?cid=70490

gus 08 mobius lsv
08-08-2009, 10:45 AM
ok so after doing some talking to other guys in ohio that did the tower speaker upgrade i guess its over kill for the marine amps so i'm gonna go car amps for my boat just gonna put them high and dry or so i hope. now a 2 channel amp is what i wanna get for my kmt6 tower speakers? is there any benefit of downfall of using a 4 channel other then costing more. do u get better sound that way or does it hurt your sound quality?

tazz3069
08-08-2009, 03:56 PM
My tower speakers are wired to a 4 channel amp. It is the MX350.4. The only difference is that I a 1 channel for each speaker. The other way, you may have to sire it in series. In regards to the sub enclosure, I am not sure about that one. Trial and error I guess. I tried the bazooka sub enclosure and did not like it. It did not have the hard punch that like. I was also concerned about the placement of the sub. When I found the enclosure on www.audioformz.com, I knew that I could not go wrong. It fit perfect and it was the exact size airspace need for the sub.

Speakers, amps, HU really all depends on what type of music and how loud you like to listen. For me, I love for clarity, crispness, and deep hard bass. Go luck with your setup. Keep us updated on your install.

Razzman
08-08-2009, 08:04 PM
The benefit of a 4 channel amp for the towers is the amp runs cooler at 4 ohms than at 2ohms, barring you have four speakers with independant connections and they're 4ohm speakers. Some are 2ohm and should be run as such.