PDA

View Full Version : o'brien alias ?

Eric Z
07-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Has anyone ridden this board? I was looking to go cheap on my first wakesurf board. It got good reviews on wakeworld but I was wondering if anyone could give me some info, I was also looking at getting a used board to keep the cost down but I am at a loss. I want something that I can go ropeless with but want to be able to progress into some tricks.....Please help.

Eric Z
07-30-2009, 12:50 AM
How about a triple x wakesurfer? Does anyone know about these boards. I am not looking to spend a ton of money but want the best board for the money. I am considering a few boards right now and any input would be very nice...It would be mostly for me but the kids would ride it also. I wan't to be able to progress as much as I can.
Triple X 58" skim style.
O'brien Alias 5'.
O'brien Alias TT.
Hyperlite Broadcast.
CWB Tsunami.

kfechner
07-30-2009, 12:49 PM
I actually ride the Obrien Alias 5'. It is the best board I have ever rode! My wife rides the Hyperlite Broadcast and my brother rides a Ronix, which he just lost at the lake...don't ask how?? But, I have been pulling 360's easier and jumping the wave better than ever with the Alias. I would definitely recommend this board to anyone. I have a couple videos on youtube under Real Wakesurfing Lake Pleasant, but they are sideways viewed, sorry!

Sled491
07-30-2009, 04:07 PM
I actually ride the Obrien Alias 5'. It is the best board I have ever rode! My wife rides the Hyperlite Broadcast and my brother rides a Ronix, which he just lost at the lake...don't ask how?? But, I have been pulling 360's easier and jumping the wave better than ever with the Alias. I would definitely recommend this board to anyone. I have a couple videos on youtube under Real Wakesurfing Lake Pleasant, but they are sideways viewed, sorry!

Hey lets see some pics up here, sounds impressive!

jmvotto
08-10-2009, 07:28 AM
I rode Both the alias 5.0 and 5.0 tt both great boards and easy to ride and was able to free ride on the tt, it handles the sloppy water a liitle better. the regular Alias is a faster board. My .02 is limited to these two boards;)

lake jammer
09-01-2009, 12:31 PM
I've tried the O'brien Alias 5'0", Hyperlite Broadcast 4'9" & 5'6", Ronix Koal 5'0" and Triple X Slasher Pro-X 5'0". The Alias and Broadcast were good beginner boards, but they sit lower in the water which make them slower. Also I wished that the Alias had more than one fin as the lack of fins makes the board sketchier in the water. I really like the Triple X and Ronix. They're fast, stable and cut through the water really well. They're a different style of board (surf vs. skim style), but that's the style I like. If you're looking for a skim style board the Triple X Composite 58" skim is virtually identical to the Phase 5 Prop (a highly touted board) except at a much better price tag. The one big thing to remember is that the Alias and Broadcast are compression molded boards which make them stronger, but heavier (good for family or friends that might be rougher on the board). Almost all of the boards used by competition riders are fiberglass or epoxy which makes them lighter and faster, but more prone to dings (no starts off of the swim deck). You have to be more careful with the fiberglass/epoxy boards, but just like anything, if you take care of it then it will last a long time.

P.S. After all the boards I've tried I ended up with the Triple X Slasher 5'0" and I love it. Well made board.

kaneboats
09-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Cool. Let's see the video.

Boardin'Ohio
09-03-2009, 10:08 PM
First year using an alias 5'. I've have had problems with the foam grip releasing from the board. Gorilla Glue was a temporary fix, but manufacturer/retailer won't warranty as a defect. Be cautious before you buy.

jmvotto
09-03-2009, 10:41 PM
try 3m marine silicone, it will work. i put it on stair treads submerged in water all season no problems.

too badabout your deal, i have had good luck with O'brien's products

sailing217
09-09-2009, 10:51 AM
I didn't like the Alias TT at all. It felt like a big wakeskate and spinning was different than my skim board.

I'll always vote for a non wakeboard co board. So Triple X or a used Phase5 if you can find one.

I have a broadcast 4.9, phase 5 icon, P5 scamp, Blue Lake, James Walker and been on the Ride and TT. A few others but not on your list.