PDA

View Full Version : strong wind=bad day

skiyaker
07-27-2009, 01:36 PM
One thing I like about boating is that it requires teamwork- but that went against us yesterday- a series of poor decisions led to a pretty nasty dock rash but fortunately no injuries or major damage. Launched the boat in about 20 mph wind blowing directly toward the ramp and sent wife and kids out in our beautiful black moomba while I went to park the truck (mistake #1). We had the dock lines and bumpers on the starboard side and had everything ready for her to pick me up at the dock- that's when the huge pontoon put in right where she was going. No problem I thought- we'll just approach another nearby dock from the port side. Well I neglected to tell her to switch the lines to the other side of the boat (mistake #2) and apparently I also needed to tell her that when you get close to the dock just nudge it in gear and right back in neutral (#3). You already know how this ends- with me in the water and a big dock rash right on the bow. Honestly I'm not sure how it didn't do more damage to the boat- I've already been able to make it look much better with a little tree wax. Prop, rudder, fins still intact- and once we got out on the lake we managed to have a great time.

moombadaze
07-27-2009, 01:49 PM
same story except for the rash and swim-we had waves crashing over the rear engine hatch when backing off the trailer on my 08 lsv on Jan 1st this year.

Form&Function
07-27-2009, 01:55 PM
I live in Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plain.It sucks.

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-27-2009, 09:19 PM
we had some nasty winds too in ohio but fortunately no mishaps! your guys are better men then me i woulda packed it up right then and there then sat at home for hours fuming!

zabooda
07-29-2009, 10:38 AM
I didn't see where you mentioned your wife using reverse. Granted reverse doesn't manuver your boat but it will stop the boat dead in the water especially on the port side. Reverse is a good thing.

tarkus70
07-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Wind, flooded ramp= New prop here.

yearround
07-29-2009, 12:41 PM
this morning, no wind, no one else on the lake, butter for 2 hours. lots of enjoyment.

sorry, you all are depressing me after having had such a good morning on the water, though now i am trying to work.

tarkus70
07-29-2009, 12:49 PM
this morning, no wind, no one else on the lake, butter for 2 hours. lots of enjoyment.

Now I'm even more depressed...Thanks

skiyaker
07-29-2009, 08:04 PM
yeah z I forgot to mention that my wife did find reverse- but I didn't teach her the "bump"- so it was forward- WHAM!- reverse- no stop!- forward again! Wham! crap now the back is turning around into the ramp- turn off the engine!! and that's how I ended up in the drink pulling the boat back into deeper water before any major damage.

on a better note- we did great today. the ramp wasn't busy at all so I was able to do more teaching and we did a good job with the dock lines. A storm blew up a nasty cross wind when we were leaving so I did the whole back truck in-get in boat- drive boat onto trailer- climb out of boat-winch-get back in truck routine. I've been very impressed with the trailer's ability to self load- seems like if you can just get the nose between the guideposts and let the boat settle it will end up straight.

moombadaze
07-29-2009, 08:12 PM
. I've been very impressed with the trailer's ability to self load- seems like if you can just get the nose between the guideposts and let the boat settle it will end up straight.

The 2 boatmate trailers ive had have been great, compared to some others ive had.